PDA

View Full Version : Acne breakout from olive oil?

Haaji Dont Surf
04-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I've always had acne ever now and then, but I was pretty much clear two weeks ago, but then once I started adding olive oil to my shakes, it seems like my face is breaking out a little.. I take a pill for acne that I've always been taking, but as I said, do you think the olive oil is the cause for it? Or just coincidence?

Eszekial
04-21-2006, 04:55 PM
I was batteling with acne for 3-4 years. Never horrible.

If olive oil is causing acne? I don't know, but it never has for me. And i use it for everything...

What worked for me? 8 Hours of sleep... Not stressing.. Cleaning up my diet. Moisturizing my face.

Mercuryblade
04-21-2006, 06:50 PM
No it's not. Acne is caused by a bunch of factors, mostly having do to with hormones/oil production/ and bacteria. Olive oil has nothing to do with your acne.

WORLD
04-21-2006, 08:20 PM
I dont think so man. My acne got a bit worse since I started working out and supplementing, but I think it's coincidence. Maybe its because my test. levels got higher...
Wash your face more often.. I find that if I go to bed without washing my face, I wake up with something new to look at..

Jorge Sanchez
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
I'd say its probably coincidence.

If you're really concerned stop adding olive oil and see what happens.

ColorCrimson
04-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Acne is not caused by your diet. Like mercury said, it is caused by several factors but trying to get the bactria off of your face by excessive washing won't do the trick. Sweating can also cause about 15%-20% of it especially if it is minor-moderate acne. What is the name of the pill you are taking?

Haaji Dont Surf
04-21-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't get a whole lot of what you people call sleep. I don't sweat much either.. I take Dermatologist prescribed Doryx. I have a bunch of facial creams and other stuff but a lot of it just dried out my face completely and it sucked. I don't have bad acne at all, just the occasional couple of little pimples here and there.

Slim Schaedle
04-22-2006, 12:55 AM
No study confirms the diet-acne link.

However, if I eat chocolate I will have at least one white head or red mark (I forget the technical terms) the next day. Sometimes more

No other time will I get them.

I think those scientists need to get back to work.

ColorCrimson
04-22-2006, 10:46 AM
The medicine you are taking should be fine. I took it for awhile but i have more of a moderate type of acne so it didn't work as well for me. Those creams can be helpful if you apply them as directed. Consider yourself lucky that you only get a a few here and there. I'm going on Accutane this summer to get rid of this sh!t once and for all!

Plus its just part of being a teenager. I'm 20 and i struggle with it.

Haaji Dont Surf
04-23-2006, 02:22 AM
The medicine you are taking should be fine. I took it for awhile but i have more of a moderate type of acne so it didn't work as well for me. Those creams can be helpful if you apply them as directed. Consider yourself lucky that you only get a a few here and there. I'm going on Accutane this summer to get rid of this sh!t once and for all!

Plus its just part of being a teenager. I'm 20 and i struggle with it.
My brother had HORRIBLE acne... It's pretty much all gone now. He used Accutane, it worked wonders. Good stuff. Only thing about it that I would consider a down side is his lips got REALLY grossly chapped. They were dry as all hell and nasty.

Built
04-23-2006, 02:25 AM
For what it's worth, my adult-onset acne completely cleared up when I went on Atkins, and a friend of mine had similar success following The Perricone Prescription. Both lower carb, low-inflammation-response diets.

Saggas
04-23-2006, 09:12 AM
i battled acne for 5 years, systic acne it was called, apparently it's genetic, but certain things can set it off, sweating alot, diet, stress. chocolate was my biggest killer, if i had an average sized bar, within 24 hours id have an extra whitehead or 3 on my face

ColorCrimson
04-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah i have read about the side effects. Honestly i can't wait to be on this and have chapped lips. There are many other side effects too, but i have taken them all into consideration. There are many medicines that can suppress acne but accutane is the only one that has been known to cure it.

dissipate
04-24-2006, 06:50 AM
the perricode dude says it's the sugar in chocolate that creates an inflammatory response (not the cocoa). we should test ourselves with artificially sweetened choc heh if there's such a thing. but then again he says stay away from aspartame...

Slim Schaedle
04-24-2006, 08:33 AM
the perricode dude says it's the sugar in chocolate that creates an inflammatory response (not the cocoa). we should test ourselves with artificially sweetened choc heh if there's such a thing. but then again he says stay away from aspartame...
I tend to agree with that since chocolate in whey, jello pudding, etc. etc doesn't have any effect on me.

Wild Cat McCane
04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
no, cystic acne isn't caused by anything you are doing. I asked my doctor what I was doing wrong.

I am on my second use of accutane in my life. the rules of getting it are completely ****ed right now, so now I am off until next month.

Ur worst enemy is about to become the iPledge.com program you have to be a part of.

Slim Schaedle
04-24-2006, 08:45 AM
no, cystic acne isn't caused by anything you are doing. I asked my doctor what I was doing wrong.

I am on my second use of accutane in my life. the rules of getting it are completely ****ed right now, so now I am off until next month.

Ur worst enemy is about to become the iPledge.com program you have to be a part of.
Not to dismiss doctors in general, but since they are in the drug business, would it really serve them to tell you that a particular condition could be treated/eliminated by personal habits.

Slim Schaedle
04-24-2006, 08:47 AM
btw, this site helped me out alot a few years ago.

http://www.acne.org/

Jorge Sanchez
04-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah i have read about the side effects. Honestly i can't wait to be on this and have chapped lips. There are many other side effects too, but i have taken them all into consideration. There are many medicines that can suppress acne but accutane is the only one that has been known to cure it.

Accutane cleared me up completely and the side effects weren`t even that bad.

ColorCrimson
04-24-2006, 02:17 PM
I've heard of all of the side effects and it still doesn't deter me. My acne is mild sometimes but usually moderate. I wouldn't say it was terrible and no one really says anything or looks at me weird, but it is bad enough to make me stay at home on the weekends. It's unbelievable how persistent this **** is. It doesn't quit for anything. I have taken all of the tetracyclines and they have worked alittle but not enough. Bring on the side effects i'm ready for Accutane.

Bam
04-24-2006, 02:42 PM
My doctor told me sweat causes a lot of acne problems

Built
04-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Beating a dead horse a bit more here - has anyone with really bad cyctic acne here ever tried going ketogenic for a short while, just as an experiment? My skin problems virtually disappeared when I did Atkins a few years back - an extremely unexpected and most welcome side effect of that particular diet.

ColorCrimson
04-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Cystic acne cannot be significantly improved by any type of diet. It's one of the most severe types of acne and really the only things that work are top of the line treatments like accutane and cortisone shots. Even then it can take several treatments to improve it.

Slim Schaedle
04-24-2006, 07:53 PM
^

Pharmaceutical rep.

Built
04-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Sure sounds like it.

I can't help but think along the same lines as "I'm overweight because it's genetic" when I read about skin problems and diet. I know that it does NOT respond to many of the dietary approaches that are sadly often recommended by respected professionals. But then, this is often true for weight loss ...

RedSpikeyThing
04-24-2006, 10:01 PM

Accutane was the best thing I did for my acne. Eight months after using it, I didn't have a pimple on my face. The side effects, for me, were more annoying than anything: daily nosebleeds, dry eyes, dry skin and some mood swings. The mood swings were the strangest...I would get really angry/upset about something and then like half an hour later I would think "damn, that was ******ed".

To the OP, there has been no evidence of diet and acne being connected. The only way it is connected is if you have the habit of touching your face a lot. Eating greasy food + touching face = more oil on face than normally = bad breakout. Somehow I don't think you're rubbing your face in olive oil, though.

Haaji Dont Surf
04-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Accutane was the best thing I did for my acne. Eight months after using it, I didn't have a pimple on my face. The side effects, for me, were more annoying than anything: daily nosebleeds, dry eyes, dry skin and some mood swings. The mood swings were the strangest...I would get really angry/upset about something and then like half an hour later I would think "damn, that was ******ed".

To the OP, there has been no evidence of diet and acne being connected. The only way it is connected is if you have the habit of touching your face a lot. Eating greasy food + touching face = more oil on face than normally = bad breakout. Somehow I don't think you're rubbing your face in olive oil, though.
I have the habit of rubbing my face a lot to whipe off oilyness.. :/ I do it once or twice an hour without thinking about it.

dissipate
04-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Beating a dead horse a bit more here - has anyone with really bad cyctic acne here ever tried going ketogenic for a short while, just as an experiment? My skin problems virtually disappeared when I did Atkins a few years back - an extremely unexpected and most welcome side effect of that particular diet.

hmmm i develop moderate cystic acne regularly (funny that these past few years, it turns into bad cystic acne a couple of days after airplane rides...). didn't notice any changes when i was on ckd though..... but perhaps the weekly carb ups affected that.

RedSpikeyThing
04-25-2006, 09:36 AM
I have the habit of rubbing my face a lot to whipe off oilyness.. :/ I do it once or twice an hour without thinking about it.

That is one of the worst things you can do if you have bad acne. It is also a very difficult habit to break! If you make a concious effort to stop rubbing your face, I would bet you'll see a reduction in your acne.

The alternative is to grow a big hobo beard and just stroke that all the time ;)

Clifford Gillmore
04-25-2006, 10:02 AM
No study confirms the diet-acne link.

However, if I eat chocolate I will have at least one white head or red mark (I forget the technical terms) the next day. Sometimes more

No other time will I get them.

I think those scientists need to get back to work.

I can eat a lbs of dark chocolate and be fine. If I gorge on Pies and Sausage rolls I tend to break out, but only on a prolonged stint.

Haaji Dont Surf
04-25-2006, 11:51 AM
That is one of the worst things you can do if you have bad acne. It is also a very difficult habit to break! If you make a concious effort to stop rubbing your face, I would bet you'll see a reduction in your acne.

The alternative is to grow a big hobo beard and just stroke that all the time ;)
Ha, I don't have bad acne by a long shot, just pimples every now and then that I could do without, I'll try to stop rubbing though.

ColorCrimson
04-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Another thing that you have to realize is that you are 18 and it is natural at this time in your life. If you stay consistent and take care of your face you shouldn't have any problems. I let mine get out of control and it was the worst mistake of my entire life. Luckily for me the scarring is minimal, but i still have a hell of a time with breakouts. I stopped taking my tetracycline because my face was totally clear, and within a few months the acne causing bacteria had mutated/evolved and had developed a resistance to normal treatment. The tetracycline that i am on now is the most powerful antibiotic you can get unless i move up to accutane. I think eventually my body will build a resistance against this medication too, thats why i think accutane is the best thing to do.

^
Sorry for the life story.

Eszekial
04-25-2006, 02:33 PM
i've heard a lot (A LOT) of bad stuff about acutane. It never worked for me and now i refuse to take the stuff.

More water, better sleep, less worry. Acne should clear up.

ColorCrimson
04-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Some people reach a point in their lives where they don't care about the side effects, thats where i am right now. Some days i wake up and my face looks like a side effect from some kind of experiment. When my acne was at its worst the pain was incredible and some nights i couldn't sleep because the pain would keep me up. When you go out in public and a kid looks at you and runs to her mom crying, its a pretty traumatizing experience. Have that happen to you a few times. When your acne is that bad and you have to go out in public your life becomes a living nightmare. I'll take my chances with accutane.

RedSpikeyThing
04-25-2006, 04:54 PM
i've heard a lot (A LOT) of bad stuff about acutane. It never worked for me and now i refuse to take the stuff.

More water, better sleep, less worry. Acne should clear up.

Accutane got a bad rap from the media. The people taking Accutane are almost entirely teenagers, which means they tend to have problems with depression, sucicide, etc. Accutane exagerates these effects on some people, resulting in an already unstable individual being pushed over the edge.

The physical side effects very from person to person, but generally involved some part of the body getting very dry (eyes, nose, etc) and vary in severity for everyone.

In the end, its a personal choice. Unless you have severe mental problems, I highly reccomend it.

Also, its fair that it didn't work for you and you don't want to use it again ;)

Haaji Dont Surf
04-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Accutane made my brother rape a cat.

ColorCrimson
04-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Atleast i'll be raping cats with a clear face.