PDA

View Full Version : 3-Day PL Routine

brickt.
04-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm gonna have to train 3days a week for a little bit, so I gotta fix up a new routine. Anyone wanna take a look at this?

M: ME BENCH
ME Movement - Suspended Bench - Work to 1RM
Chest Movement - DB Incline Press - 4 x 6
Lat Movement - HG Pulldowns - 4 x 6
Tricep Movement - Rope Pushdown - 3 x 8
Rear Delt Movement - Face Pulls - 3 x 8

W: ME DL/DE SQ
Deadlift Movement - Deadlift - Work to 1RM
Squat Movement - Speed SQ - 8 x 2 at 50%
Quad Movement - DB Bulgarian SQ - 4 x 6
Posterior Movement - Pullthroughs - 4 x 6
AB Movement - Cable Crunch - 3 x 8

F: DE BENCH
DE Movement - Speed Bench - 8 x 3 at 50%
Shoulder Movement - Military Press - 4 x 6
Lat Movement - T-Bar Row - 4 x 6
Tricep Movement - Rack Lockouts - 4 x 6
Bicep Movment - Cable Curl - 3 x 8

M: ME SQUAT
Squat Movement - Low Box Squat - Work to 1RM
Quad Movment - Front Squat - 4 x 6
Posterior Movement - Good Mornings - 4 x 6
AB Movement - Incline Crunch - 3 x 8

Sensei
04-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I think a 3-day WS split is a good idea.

brickt.
04-21-2006, 06:58 PM
So just the vanilla WS routine, with a M/W/F/M cycle?

KingJustin
04-21-2006, 08:18 PM
I think your routine looks good. At first I thought it was stupid to have 2 ME leg days, but since you are only going 3 days a week I think it might work out pretty well. Be careful, though, and make sure not to injure yourself.

Also, I would add a couple reps to one of the military press days and maybe add in slightly more tricep and less chest work. I've found that my triceps, being a small and stubborn muscle, recover much faster than my chest.

The routine looks good, though. Just some opinions.

Sensei
04-22-2006, 05:28 AM
Are you going to rotate the ME exercises? IMHO it would be a bad idea not to.

drew
04-22-2006, 10:01 AM
It looks really good. And I agree with Sensei, make sure you rotate your ME exercises (I personally like to use 4 different ones).

brickt.
04-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah, the ME exercises would be changed every 4weeks (3 entire cycles)

Bench: Flat BB Press, Pin Press, Incline BB Press, Rack Lockouts, board presses if I can figure out a way to do it without a spotter

Squat: Low Box Squat, High Box Squat, Squat Lockout (what else??)

DL: Deadlift, Rack Pulls, DL off Mats, GM triples when I get more confidence

Cheers fellas :bow:

Sensei
04-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, the ME exercises would be changed every 4weeks (3 entire cycles)

Bench: Flat BB Press, Pin Press, Incline BB Press, Rack Lockouts, board presses if I can figure out a way to do it without a spotter

Squat: Low Box Squat, High Box Squat, Squat Lockout (what else??)

DL: Deadlift, Rack Pulls, DL off Mats, GM triples when I get more confidence

Cheers fellas :bow:
If it were me, I would change it after two cycles. I would consider CGBP, sq/bp/dl w. chains, manta-ray sq, front squat, snatch grip DLs, and maybe zerchers or sumo stance DLs for other possible ME exercises.

You'll probably need to limit the amount of ME exercises you rotate among for the simple reason that if you have too many, it will be hard to track progress on any given exercise. I rarely, rarely do front squats, for example, and, consequently, my numbers in the exercise hardly ever change - likewise, it's not really a good measure of where I am with my training.

brickt.
04-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Thanks, Sensei.

Ninja Edit: Your lifting vids are awesome :strong:

Lothar
04-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Jim Wendler just wrote an article on a 3-day a week lifting routine.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/three_days.htm

I agree, you might want to be careful about doing so many me lower days. The standard thinking coming out of Westside (Lou and Tate, among others) groups the squat and the deadlift together as similar movements. Some other lifters who have experienced deadlift problems or focused more on that have established some sort of differentiation, like Marc Bartley. (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/convert_to_sumo.htm for example)
Why did you decide to break them up?

Something else you might want to consider, as the first article mentions, is RE work. It's particularly helpful for newer/smaller lifters who could still use some added mass. And by "newer/smaller" I'm making an assumption, but it could be worth looking into.

I also agree about limiting the number of max exercises you perform, and that four is a good number to stick with. Do you lift equipped?

brickt.
04-23-2006, 04:15 AM
I have heaps of work/study to do atm, so 4days a week will be pushing it, especially with my recovery/stress during this time.

You're assumption of me as a newbie PL is 100% accurate :)

No, I'm not equipped at all. I don't feel I have a need for chains, bands, suits etc, as I still have to build a large strength base.

Cheers for the article tho