PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about cardio

Jonezy
04-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I just wanted to know if it was a bad idea to do a hard cardio workout everyday. I figured since it`s not a good idea to work any muscle so often, is this also true with the heart? If it is, how often should I be running? Thanks for any help!

getfit
04-22-2006, 02:32 PM
what are your goals?

deeder
04-22-2006, 02:34 PM
what are your goals?

Exactly..

If you're trying to put on muscle mass then no you shouldn't do hard cardio everyday.

However if your goal is to have incredible cardio-vascular abilities then by all means!

Goodwinm
04-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Exactly..

If you're trying to put on muscle mass then no you shouldn't do hard cardio everyday.

However if your goal is to have incredible cardio-vascular abilities then by all means!
leaving days in between to rest of course, i think you were going to add there ;)

deeder
04-22-2006, 05:11 PM
leaving days in between to rest of course, i think you were going to add there ;)

How come? You think marathon runners take rest days? I'd say most of them run pretty much everyday.

Built
04-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Marathon runners do, indeed, take rest days.

Goodwinm
04-22-2006, 05:19 PM
i dont know how marathon runners would get better times if they did not rest to increase theire recovery raite and increase their lap times etc. They probably dont have much rest, but if they had no rest then they're muscles would jus depleat of energy.

deeder
04-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Marathon runners do, indeed, take rest days.

Yes.. But training to increase cardio-vascular endurance is very different than training a muscle.. You wouldn't, for example, see a marathon runner who only runs twice a week for fear of overtraining...

My uncle and a few people I work with run marathons... My uncle runs everyday except saturday and sunday (he spends the weekend with his family) usually >10k. The people I work with run 6 days a week together. Right now they are running 12.5k a day.

Jonezy
04-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Sorry, I should of stated my goals first. I`m just trying to cut all the fat off, and yes increase my cardiovascular strength too, but I`m alot more focused on the first thing. I used to run 4 miles EVERY morning and EVERY night without ever taking rest days, and I wasnt noticing much differences in anything lol. So I guess the main thing is if I want to cut as much fat as I can, when/how often should I run? (and of course I know I gotta eat right!)

getfit
04-24-2006, 08:14 AM
eating right will help you shed the lbs off, what's your diet looking like?

JaCelica2k
04-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Sorry, I should of stated my goals first. I`m just trying to cut all the fat off, and yes increase my cardiovascular strength too, but I`m alot more focused on the first thing. I used to run 4 miles EVERY morning and EVERY night without ever taking rest days, and I wasnt noticing much differences in anything lol. So I guess the main thing is if I want to cut as much fat as I can, when/how often should I run? (and of course I know I gotta eat right!)

Your body gets used to anything if you do it too much......gotta change it up. Do some interval training, jump in the pool and swim some laps, take up mountain biking, hit the stair stepper or the eliptical instead of the treadmill.

Jonezy
04-24-2006, 08:28 AM
It`s kinda not the greatest lol. I get up early for school then after that I work all night, so it`s extremely hard to get access to any foods I want. I basically only drink alot of water, (no pop or juice, maybe a glass of milk a day) no fast foods or candy and stuff whatsoever. I just try to eat tuna, chicken, fish, eggs, or salad everyday and keep it under 100g of carbs and 80g of fat. I know it could be alot better but it`s so hard when your not at home ever!

JaCelica2k
04-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Build / Bodyfat is made in the kitchen. You can lift till you are blue in the face, but if your diet isn't right you won't get the results you want.

Anthony
04-24-2006, 08:44 AM
First, nutrition is key. You really need to spend some time getting to know the basics and then find a way to apply those principles to your routine. It's not always easy, but in the long run you'll realize that everything stems from a good diet.

Second, define a "hard cardio workout?" Are we talking intervals, steady state, long distance, etc, etc.

My generic response to your goals would be:

- Follow a solid diet 90% of the time (consistency is more important than perfection)
- Lift weights 3x a week (focus on getting stronger, the rest will fall in place)
- Perform 5-20 minutes of HIIT 1-2x a week
- Sleep 7+ hours a day
- 1-2 days of rest. The rest really depends on your work capacity, but for most this is a good rule of thumb.

Jonezy
04-25-2006, 08:24 AM
A hard cardio workout for me is just running for around 3-5 miles all at once, right now it`s about 3 miles since I just started cardio again. I`ll keep a closer look at my diet from now on too. Thanks for all the advice!