PDA

View Full Version : box squats

fixationdarknes
04-22-2006, 03:42 PM
can the "box" be used for front squats too?

Canadian Crippler
04-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't know anyone who does front squats without going fully down, so I'm gonna guess no.

drew
04-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, absolutely. You can use the box for any type of squats.

I don't use it for front squats because I generally only do front squats to get more quad involvement.

SkinnySadMan
04-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Lol I use to squat off the box with front squats. Changed that in my last squat session though. Got rid of the box completly and just going hamstring to calf.

BTW is it bad to "Bounce" at the bottom ? Other than making the reps easier, does it cause damage to your joints?

rbar89
04-23-2006, 07:54 PM
yes it is bad to bounce at the bottom, not exactly sure i just know everyone says not to im sure its probably bad on your knees and other stuff so just dont cuz theres no point, lol.

khari
04-23-2006, 07:57 PM
The only way you're going to completely avoid bouncing at the bottom is to pause. Just keep the descent slow and controlled, and it shouldn't be a problem.

drew
04-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Bouncing on a box squat is a sure way to blow out a disc (besides defeating the purpose of the box). Pause on the box for a second and then up. Easy.

Optimum08
04-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Bouncing on a box squat is a sure way to blow out a disc (besides defeating the purpose of the box). Pause on the box for a second and then up. Easy.

drew do you want to release your hips at the bottom while sitting on the box for a second? and then obviously engage them again and explode up?

drew
04-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, that's what Dave said in his first article on box squatting, but even he admitted that it isn't really possible to do. Just pause on the box and then explode back up, the rest will take care of itself.

fixationdarknes
04-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Would you say it's easier to go ATF with Front Squats than it is with Back Squats.

SkinnySadMan
04-23-2006, 10:01 PM
This guy is rocking back on box squats:

http://www.joeskopec.com/joeskopecboxsquat.mpg

Canadian Crippler
04-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Would you say it's easier to go ATF with Front Squats than it is with Back Squats.Yes, I find it very weird not going ATF on them. I also can't imagine box front squats would work too well. Does anyone here actually do them?

Sidior
04-24-2006, 01:07 AM
this was like 8 posts up

Lol I use to squat off the box with front squats. Changed that in my last squat session though. Got rid of the box completly and just going hamstring to calf.

BTW is it bad to "Bounce" at the bottom ? Other than making the reps easier, does it cause damage to your joints?

so it looks like the answers would be a yes

Sensei
04-24-2006, 06:22 AM
This guy is rocking back on box squats:

It is easier to get going off the box with a rock, but it's a bad habit that's hard to break. If you watch the WS videos, you'll see some guys rocking, but Louie's technique is totally solid - no rocking whatsoever... You could say his techique is "rock solid" harhar... :/

Sensei
04-24-2006, 06:25 AM
Well, that's what Dave said in his first article on box squatting, but even he admitted that it isn't really possible to do. Just pause on the box and then explode back up, the rest will take care of itself.
I'm not sure I'm following Drew. Could you explain a little more. I don't have a problem more or less relaxing the hip flexors at the bottom - the trick is not relaxing anywhere else.

Clifford Gillmore
04-24-2006, 06:37 AM
Yes, I find it very weird not going ATF on them. I also can't imagine box front squats would work too well. Does anyone here actually do them?

Yes. With chains.

Guido
04-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes, absolutely. You can use the box for any type of squats. I agree, except with hack squats. I don't know how you'd do that.

drew
04-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure I'm following Drew. Could you explain a little more. I don't have a problem more or less relaxing the hip flexors at the bottom - the trick is not relaxing anywhere else.
Basically by saying to "relax the hip flexors" what he's really getting at is relaxing the glutes. It would be impossible to relax the hip flexors, because they're tight as a drum at the bottom of a squat (think about it). Visualizing a relaxation of that are is really all you need to get the picture, and like I said, as long as you're pausing on the box, everything else will take care of itself. I'm pretty sure Jim Wendler touched on this in the EFS squat/DL DVD (I may have to watch that again).

That dude in the Skopec video is rocking way too much. If you ever did that without a box, you'd wind up squarely on the floor. I look at rocking as cheating and it just won't help you get stronger, so why do it? Anyone with a decent training partner should never be rocking on the box.

For Crip. I don't think it's easier to go ATF with front squats, it's just harder NOT to. If that makes sense.

Guido - Touche. But a BB hack squat is more of a reverse DL than a squat, don't you think?

Guido
04-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Guido - Touche. But a BB hack squat is more of a reverse DL than a squat, don't you think?Depends on how much weight you have on the bar. If it's the big plates, then yeah, you can't go down nearly as far.

KevinStarke
04-25-2006, 12:15 PM

Thats how Phil and all the guys at Hollywoods do their box squats and how they taught me. To hit the box, sit back, come forward, and stand up.

Sensei
04-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Basically by saying to "relax the hip flexors" what he's really getting at is relaxing the glutes. It would be impossible to relax the hip flexors, because they're tight as a drum at the bottom of a squat (think about it). Visualizing a relaxation of that are is really all you need to get the picture, and like I said, as long as you're pausing on the box, everything else will take care of itself. I'm pretty sure Jim Wendler touched on this in the EFS squat/DL DVD (I may have to watch that again).I still don't get it. The hip flexors and glutes are totally different. It's impossible to completely release the hip flexors if your glutes are tight and vice-versa though, and maybe that's what he's talking about.

drew
04-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Exactly. I think it's just more of a visualization than anything else.

Canadian Crippler
04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
For Crip. I don't think it's easier to go ATF with front squats, it's just harder NOT to. If that makes sense. I have no idea what you mean, lol.

Front Squats are tricky, they aren't easy by any means. But I find it easier to go ATF than to stop at parallel, in terms of keeping form proper and finding a good groove. Weight used will obviously be less.

drew
04-25-2006, 03:50 PM
That's what I'm saying. It's easier to go all the way down with a front squat than it is to stop at parallel. But really, it's just harder to stop at parallel than it is to go all the way down. (Now I'm confused)

fixationdarknes
04-25-2006, 04:03 PM
That's what I'm saying. It's easier to go all the way down with a front squat than it is to stop at parallel.

How so? I can go to parallel with Front Squats but if I go any lower than that, my back will round. :scratch:

Canadian Crippler
04-25-2006, 04:07 PM
How does your back round on front squats? For me that translates into dropping the bar, lol.

fixationdarknes
04-25-2006, 04:32 PM
The bottom of my back.