PDA

View Full Version : When should I train in my suit?

HeavyBomber
04-23-2006, 10:11 AM
When should I and how frequent?

I have been using it on my dynamic days for box squat but I was thinking that I really don't want to do that too much because it might actually make me too reliant on the darn thing.
Then I thought, I really don't know when to use it in training if ever.

drew
04-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Dave told me to always wear at least briefs when squatting, especially when squatting wide. If you're worried about getting too reliant on it, why? You're never going to compete without a suit right?

I rarely use a suit or breifs when squatting only because I train alone and have limited training time and it takes me some time to get the damn thing on and off. But I'm going to have to suck it up if I ever plan on squatting big.

bill
04-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Drew I've read some of the same stuff. What about people that lift raw? LOL
I actually read that even if don't have the briefs you should find some tight compression or biker shorts (I suppose at least some tightness).

drew
04-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Bill, this wasn't read. It was a direct question that I asked Dave, and that was the answer he gave me.

If you're going to lift unequipped, I would say just wear some loose briefs for speed days, and nothing on max days.

HeavyBomber
04-23-2006, 04:13 PM
yeah man, getting that damn thing on takes forever and it hurts like hell. The suit wears me out all by itself.

That's a good point about I'll never be lifting without it in a meet.

The thing is... I used to be completely raw and I only recently got the suit. I guess my line of thinking is that I gained a lot of strength and explosiveness without it in the low position and when I first tried the suit I noticed that it made the low position much easier.
So I'm afraid that if I train regularly in it I might loose some of that low explosive strength since it helps so much. I guess I could just up the weight overall.
I think I'll look into getting some briefs too.

This Dave... Are you talking about Dave Tate?

drew
04-23-2006, 07:31 PM
You could always just train DE with the suit and only wear the suit for ME days say 4 weeks out from a meet and go unequipped for the rest of your ME work.

Yes, I went to a Dave Tate seminar about 2 months ago. It was awesome.

bill
04-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Drew, yeah I knew what you where saying. I would like get some gear one day. I believe Chris Rodgers is the one that wrote that to me, when I asked in his journal. I may be mistaken, but makes sense, the hips are where I notice the most problems especially going wide stance.
You know from what others say (online). you would loosen your suit and briefs. By using them more though you may benefit from learning proper form, and hit some good numbers. You can always buy new stuff later (unless your me LOL) Sorry for the rant.