PDA

View Full Version : Cutting weight and rehydrating

Chris Rodgers
04-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Paging all nutrition gurus.

I have a powerlifting meet in 4 weeks. I have the option to weigh-in 24 hours before the meet starts. How many of you think it's possible for an athlete who weighs ~159-160 first thing in the morning, to drop down to 148.5 and back up in 24 hours without illegal drugs?

Now, for those who said yes, I need your help. I can take an OTC/supplement water pill, but no lasix or any of that. What type of carb and/or water tricks do you guys/gals know? I know some of you are nutrition and supplement freaks, so I need your help. If I could weigh 157 or better on the platform I will put up some nasty numbers in the 148 class which is a goal of mine before I permanently move up.

After that I need the tips for rehydrating. If I do this and make weight, I would have that whole day off with nothing to do but gain the weight back. So I can eat or drink just about anything.

Thanks in advance. :burger: :strong:

drew
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I think it's possible, but I don't really have the prescription. What I've done in the past is drop carbs to below 100g a day for a couple weeks, then down to below 30g a day until 2 days before weigh-in. Fasting for those two days, and no water on the day of the weigh-in. I've gotten up to 12 pounds doing this. For gaining it back, lots of gatorade and water and lots of food. I always eat a couple of steaks and a pint or two of ice cream the night before a meet anyway.

Bam
04-23-2006, 08:19 PM
well gatorate/water/fastfood would prolly work.

[edit] when you wake up go straight to weight ins you will weight about 3-4 pounds less then you do during the day. DO NOT DRINK OR EAT ANYTHING AT ALL in the morning.

Slim Schaedle
04-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Paging all nutrition gurus.

I have a powerlifting meet in 4 weeks. I have the option to weigh-in 24 hours before the meet starts. How many of you think it's possible for an athlete who weighs ~159-160 first thing in the morning, to drop down to 148.5 and back up in 24 hours without illegal drugs?

Now, for those who said yes, I need your help. I can take an OTC/supplement water pill, but no lasix or any of that. What type of carb and/or water tricks do you guys/gals know? I know some of you are nutrition and supplement freaks, so I need your help. If I could weigh 157 or better on the platform I will put up some nasty numbers in the 148 class which is a goal of mine before I permanently move up.

After that I need the tips for rehydrating. If I do this and make weight, I would have that whole day off with nothing to do but gain the weight back. So I can eat or drink just about anything.

Thanks in advance. :burger: :strong:

6 days out - 8L water, increased sodium
5 days out - same
4 days our - same
3 days out - same

2 days out - 6L water, DECREASED sodium, supplement with potassium
1 day out - 4L water, DECREASED sodium, supplement with potassium

I would go VERY low on carbs during this period. The lower, the harder/longer it will be to get your glycogen levels up again which might mean less strength for your lift. But, you will have lost more water.

Day of - weigh in, then eat tons of carbs (starting with high glycemic), ditch the potassium supplements, and bump the sodium up again. Drink lots of water too.

A shake of dextrose/whey/glycerine(pulls water into the cell) would be great for the first meal after weighing in.

I have used Taraxatone in the past for a dieretic, but that was not in conjunction with any of this. I am sure there are better dieretics, but I have also seen it advised to use them VERY carefully when manipulating intracellular water levels by playing with sodium and potassium.

Individual results do vary though, so if it doesn't work great for you, don't blame me. :)

Chris Rodgers
04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Bump...

Thanks for the tips so far. Please keep em coming. Anyone else?

Oh Drew- no way in hell I'm fasting before a meet, lol. I'm not trying to look good in a dress. I have to be ready to perform @ the meet. Food is necessary.

I like the cycling of the sodium and water idea. I'm going to use some form of that definitely.

smalls
04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Personally I think 12 lbs might be a little too much too hope for without some serious carb depletion/dieting. And I lose too much strength doing such things to make it worth it (and it takes my body way longer than one day of carb loading to get those strength gains back, but that's just me. Just depends on if you have experience with this and how your body handles it.

drew
04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Brian Schwab dropped from 160 to make 148 for the Arnold. Although I'm sure he's not concerned with drug testing :D You might try e-mailing him for some pro advice.

Slim Schaedle
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Personally I think 12 lbs might be a little too much too hope for without some serious carb depletion/dieting. And I lose too much strength doing such things to make it worth it (and it takes my body way longer than one day of carb loading to get those strength gains back, but that's just me. Just depends on if you have experience with this and how your body handles it.
I agree 100% with this.

One day to get back that glycogen is not much.

Chris Rodgers
04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Hmmm. I hear what you guys are saying.

I think Brian dropped more like 20 lbs, but he has 48 hour weigh-ins for WPO meets.

Chris Rodgers
04-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Oh, and the limited experience I had with this was really one meet. I dropped from a training weight of ~156-157 down to 147. I only was back to ~151 on the platform, but I really had no idea what to drink/eat to gain it back. I just drank and ate a bunch of anything. I didn't have the best day, but I this time around I have tighter briefs to wear on my squat even if I drop some weight and even on a "weak" day I managed numbers that placed me higher for the year @148 than my best meet @165.

Decisions, decisions.