PDA

View Full Version : front squat question

fixationdarknes
04-24-2006, 08:05 PM
I was practicing front squats a bit earlier today, and my elbows touch my knees at the bottom. Am I not leaning back enough or do I need to have my elbows higher or something?

drew
04-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Are you holding the bar like the end position of a clean, or are yo ucrossing your arms? I generally cross my arms and hold the bar on top of my shoulders and then I don't have that problem.

Bob
04-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Search on Maki's posts...
Somewhere on WBB he has a great post of him doing 325 Front squats...
With excellant form.....

khari
04-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Your upper arms should be parallel (more or less) with the floor. So yes, elbows up.

fixationdarknes
04-24-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm holding it like the end position of a clean. I tried holding my elbows up a bit higher (which also helped with my wrists), and no longer do my elbows hit my knees.

But I can just barely get to parallel keeping a straight back. It actually might be a hair above parallel. I really need flexibility/technique work.

johnnytang24
04-24-2006, 09:34 PM
It could be you are rounding your back at the bottom as well.

Thanks.

dw06wu
04-24-2006, 09:53 PM
just move your hands out a little more

Canadian Crippler
04-24-2006, 10:55 PM
The clean grip has always been a problem for me. Personally, I have no reason to learn it so I use the crossover grip. It works fine. Since you are doing cleans regularely I'd work on the clean grip though.

khari
04-25-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm holding it like the end position of a clean. I tried holding my elbows up a bit higher (which also helped with my wrists), and no longer do my elbows hit my knees.

But I can just barely get to parallel keeping a straight back. It actually might be a hair above parallel. I really need flexibility/technique work.

I don't know if you want to spend the money, but weightlifting shoes are the greatest things to happen to front squats in, well, ever. They would probably help.

khari
04-25-2006, 03:06 AM
Motivation:

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3FOMAQCH0E9MM24BIWNUFGADH2

ericg
04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Do you have your hands completely around the bar like they were during the pull portion of the clean? Ive noticed that it helps to have just the tips of your fingers "holding" the bar during the front squat, its just enough to keep the bar on your delts and into your neck, it also allows you to keep your elbows higher.

Clifford Gillmore
04-25-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm with Eric, after the clean I have the bar 'resting' - to a degree - on my front shoulders, using just the tips of my fingers to hold it in place.

fixationdarknes
04-25-2006, 02:35 PM
I checked the mirror and had a few of my family members check my back and going to parallel, my back does no rounding at all. But if I tried to go any lower than that, my back would round.

And I barely just have the tips of my fingers supporting the bar (index, middle, and ring; no pinky). I got a little better at holding the bar in the proper position. Probably the best thing for me would be if I could go to a gym right now and get help from a pro.

DNL
04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Motivation:

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3FOMAQCH0E9MM24BIWNUFGADH2

man he made it seems like a walk in the park.

D Breyer
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
personally holding the bar to my shoulders with any more then the tips of my fingers I get unwanted wrist pain and the exercise doesn't feel right.
Your shoulders alone should be able to hold the bar in place, try not to think of your hands holding the bar there rather, your fingertips.
It seems harder written out than it actually is... if possible have a person with experience help you in person.