PDA

View Full Version : diarrhea...why

freestyler
04-26-2006, 03:26 AM
I weigh about, 10stone (139lb approx) so yes, a skinny small guy.
Normally, my diet is very weak, with about 2 meals a day and its been like that since I can remember. When I do eat, its nothin good, small foods like egg/toast, and my biggest meal will be about 12am (middnight) before I go to bed.

Right, weight training, starting to eat more now...

Some oats in morning
Protein shake
Fruit later on
Half a whole chicken / rice mid day
Finish the rest of previous meal about 4
work 6-10
Tuna/mayo/toast about 11
Protein Shake

That above, is what I had started doing, well I still am but whenever I eat a larger volume of food than Im used to, i just throw it all up, and I dont mean through my mouth :(

I have trouble eating, Im guessing its just because im not used to eatin so much, but it seems I have a bowl of oats in morning (Im never hungry in a morning) and that could last me all day, i dread meal times.

But for the sake of it, I force it down. Is there any reason you can see here why I get diarrhea? spesh in a morning

Will.S
04-26-2006, 03:42 AM
Oats cut straight through me in the mornings. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

freestyler
04-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Oh but I have to worry about it, I dont think it's healthy ****tin' like every day, well I usually stop eating the amount I eat, and go back to eating how I used to, which in turn, ends my weight training.

This is like the 3rd time, I've got my self sorted n planned out a bit, started and this happens. This aint the first time its happened

Will.S
04-26-2006, 03:58 AM
Is it constant, or just in the mornings? I know I often get a bit in the mornings, but then i'm fine until the next day. I supsect its just due to the amount of fibre in my diet, not to mention water. If you get it throughout the day, then you've got a problem - it sounds to me like a reaction to something you're eating. Are you lactose intolerant?

freestyler
04-26-2006, 04:00 AM
Well its mainly mornings, and is much more severe if I get up extra early for same reason. And as for 'lactose intolerant', I havnt a clue

Will.S
04-26-2006, 04:11 AM
Try cutting dairy products totally from your diet, and see if that makes a difference. I had a friend in a similar situation, and that solved it for him. It doesn't half make getting protein difficult though, as you'll have to drop your shakes and all. Seriously, I find myself having a similar problem in the morning. Its got to the stage where I eat breakfast at least an hour before i go out, so I know there'll be enought time for it to work its way through and... you know... after it.

TheLittleGuy
04-26-2006, 04:32 AM
You might try some of the protein shakes from Reflex Nutrition (http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/) -- they've got pro-biotics added to them, which might make them a little easier on the stomach.

As a bit of general nutrional advice, you might try adding some vegetables and a multi-vitamin to your routine, as it's looking a little light on the green stuff. The diet looks pretty bland, so I can't see any likely triggers for IBS.

Do you drink coffee? I find that strong coffee on an empty stomach has a laxative effect...

freestyler
04-26-2006, 04:35 AM
Nope, no coffee.

TheLittleGuy
04-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Well, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably change my diet for a few days to stop the torrent, if you catch my drift.

Reduce the amount of fiber in your diet for a few days, increasing the amount of "stodge" to bind you up a bit. Pasta, rice, bread, chicken, cheese are all good choices. Ditch the oats for a few days and replace them with a boiled egg and some yogurt. Ensure you're drinking adequate water.

Give that a few days, then begin reintroducing the foods gradually. Our bodies generally don't like a dramatic change of diet overnight.

Finally, it could be your protein shakes. When I'm consuming a lot of protein shakes, the consistency of my "movements" changes dramatically. We go from a skidmark-free pan to "Christ, did you hit a deer?" in two shakes. :eek:

TheLittleGuy
04-26-2006, 04:58 AM
Go do some reading about IBS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome

Specifically, you might want to take this advice on-board:

There are a number of diet changes a person with IBS can make to prevent the over-reaction of the gastrocolic reflex and lessen pain, discomfort and bowel dysfunction. Having soluble fiber foods and supplements, substituting soy or rice products for dairy, being careful with fresh fruits and vegetables that are high in insoluble fiber, and eating regular small amounts can all help to lessen the symptoms of IBS; Foods and beverages to be avoided or minimized include red meat, oily or fatty (and fried) products, dairy (even when there is no lactose intolerance), solid chocolate, coffee (regular and decaffeinated), alcohol, carbonated beverages (especialy those also containing sorbitol) and artificial sweeteners.

Eszekial
04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Give your body some time to get used to the thing called food.

Drink some more water so your body can function properly.

Don't eat too much per single meal. Space them out. Your body can only handle so much per meal before you just start ****ting like the mad bomber.

Get some more fibers in. Baby carrots in peanut butter for example.

Cut150
04-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Eszekial beat me to it, but you need to drink more water. The combination of water and fiber should make your elimination process something easy and regular.

It shouldn't be excessively hard, nor should it be that loose.

You have to drink enough water to try to solidify it. At least a gallon a day.

freestyler
04-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Well I hope that this is the reason, and I dont have IBS or am Lactose Intolarent.

I shall give ma body time to adjust then, and as you say, more water

Thanks

Edit: "You have to drink enough water to try to solidify it"
Is that true, I would have thought the more water, the more chance of it happening

Cut150
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
One of the symptoms of diarrhea is being dehydrated. In my opinion, anytime you have a dramatic change in how your body is functioning, start with how much water you are drinking.

freestyler
04-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Well its next to none really. So I shall drink more water and see how it goes

Will.S
04-27-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm not being funny, but why would diarreha be a symptom of being dehydrated? If you were dehydrated, your body would surely want to conserve water, not waste it? It was my understanding that diarreha was cause by your body attempting to remove a toxin of some sort.

Check the colour of your urine. If its fairly pale (unless you're on vit supps) then you're not dehydrated.

TheLittleGuy
04-27-2006, 03:23 AM
I'm not being funny, but why would diarreha be a symptom of being dehydrated? If you were dehydrated, your body would surely want to conserve water, not waste it?

It causes dehydration. Replacing the fluids with plain water (as opposed to an electrolyte rehydration solution) can exacerbate the problem.

For more advice please see: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/90/100639.htm

You should drink at least six 8-ounce glasses of fluid per day. Choose fruit juice without pulp, broth or soda (without caffeine). Chicken broth (without the fat), tea with honey and sports drinks are also good choices. Instead of drinking liquids with your meals, drink liquids between meals. Drink small amounts of fluids frequently.

Ongoing diarrhea causes the body to lose large amounts of water and nutrients. If you have watery stools more than three times a day and you are not drinking enough fluids, you could become dehydrated, which can cause serious complications if not treated.

freestyler
04-27-2006, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the infomation TheLittleGuy