PDA

View Full Version : KAZ is BACK!! in Powerlifting & Controversy

Bob
04-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Check out this info:
http://goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/noframes/read/95030

Looks like Kaz is Back...

Plus stirring up controversy - his post is quite negative to Inzer and their promotion of the New England Strongmen show:
http://goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/noframes/read/95030

Should be a fun show!! See you there... I'm coming down from NH..

And AtLarge is a sponsor..

chris mason
04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes we are baby!

Chris

KevinStarke
04-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Interesting... if it isnt actually some troll then thats pretty cool, i'd like to see powerlifting go all RAW and not let the gear lift for em. I mean I have respect for anyone who steps on the platform but the more I hear about gear and the times i've seen guys fail with 315 on bench warming up at a meet and then hit 500+ with a shirt just makes me kinda sad.

Guido
04-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Word on that. Equipped lifting has it's place, especially as a training aid in some cases, but more and more I get interested in doing a 100% Raw meet as I go along. It's too bad most people who want to compete have to use support gear (including myself) just to be competitive.

KevinStarke
04-28-2006, 10:33 AM
yah but its like any other sport man you just have to train to get better and better. I'd love to be a soccer star but I cant play soccer for the life of me.

Sensei
04-28-2006, 11:32 AM
So, is he going to compete or is he just going to be a judge and/or make an appearance?

DNL
04-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Interesting... if it isnt actually some troll then thats pretty cool, i'd like to see powerlifting go all RAW and not let the gear lift for em. I mean I have respect for anyone who steps on the platform but the more I hear about gear and the times i've seen guys fail with 315 on bench warming up at a meet and then hit 500+ with a shirt just makes me kinda sad.

When you geared up, it can make that much of a difference? or were you just making a point?

Meat_Head
04-28-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/

It would be awesome to see Kaz back in form again, and this is good for the sport!

"Posted By: Bill Kazmaier (cache-mtc-ad01.proxy.aol.com)
Date: Friday, April 21, 2006, @ 1:14 p.m.

Thi is my first post on a powerlifting forum so bear with me.After a 25 year absence I'm returning to the sport of powerlifting one last time to try and make a difference.New England Record Breakers is the real deal.The way things used to be when powerlifting was on the rise and was being considered as an addition to the olympics.

Sadly,two individuals,one in particular,changed all that and have brought powerlifting to the the confused,unacceptable new low we now have.Instead of the Wide World of Sports,Sports Spectacular,prime time commercials and Arnold movies your sport is now a backyard circus act looked down upon by the general public.You now have a chance to take back your sport and become viable again.Don't be afraid of empty threats from an equipment manufacturer and certain federations.In reality they're more afraid of you than you are of them.Without you,the powerlifter,they can't survive.Keep in mind,people who make threats are actually cowards who live in fear themselves. I'm asking everyone who loves powerlifting to support this event by either competing or attending.Those of you who backed out because of threats of losimg sponsorship,I'm urging you to come back.

I will personally help you obtain new sponsors who actually give money.Powerlifting can be great again with federations like Atlantis and 100% Raw.Change is scary and uncomfortable and I understand that.But change is inevitable,especially with the current situation powerlifting is in.

If the powerlifting community gets behind this event,I give you my word that I will get behind powerlifting from now on and help bring it back to the forefront where it belongs. Let this be the event that marks the new beginning for all of powerlifting.Let's see who the strongest really is.See you on May 6.

Stay strong,

Body,mind and spirit

KAZ "

Sensei
04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Powerlifting was on Wide World of Sports in the 70s, that's true. But, I certainly wouldn't blame it's disappearance from TV and it's lack of popularity and on the advent of powerlifting equipment...

Interesting though. I wonder how much clout ($$) Kaz can generate for the sport...

Meat_Head
04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
A ****load I bet!

Sensei
04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
A ****load I bet!
Maybe... I'm not so sure. Supplement companies are where the money is and, again, I don't know how much sway he has with them. His support certainly won't hurt, that's for sure.

There's a putting-the-genie-back-in-the-bottle thing that (some people in) PL is/are trying to deal with. I'm sure it can be done, but I really doubt it's going to affect PL's mass appeal much either way.

Meat_Head
04-28-2006, 03:35 PM
He used to have alot of sway with Met-rx, but I don't know if that's still there. I agree though, it'll take alot more than this to really boost PL's mass appeal.

monotone
04-28-2006, 03:41 PM
i met him at the airport in atlanta a little over a month ago when i was going to canada. He was in line at the check-in in front of me. a nice guy, and a mountain of a man in person

KevinStarke
04-28-2006, 06:54 PM
When you geared up, it can make that much of a difference? or were you just making a point?

Im dead serious.

Bob
04-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I think the point of the controversy is what some of the sponsors are doing...
Kaz thinks that sponsers are pushing the lifters around... telling them not to participate in certain contests.. especially raw competitions, where their true strength is put on display... I think Kaz just wants the best competition.

Kaz is getting back into competition... at least from some of the other posts on the PL and Stongman boards.. of people who supposedly know him. It will be interesting to see if he can break some/all of the Master's records..

he still performs some strongman stunts.. like the 176 lb Thomas Inch dumbbell in the photo attached..

Personally.. I'm not a fan of gear.. but to each his own..
However.. I'm not a fan of jerks who block others from fair competition.. I understand that if you sponsor an athletic they don't have to say great things about other products or work for other sponsors.. but when you have just a great wide open competition, let them compete.
And my opinion on Kaz.. yeah, it's going to be great to see him compete... as one of those old soul who saw him on ABC wide world of sports.. and in the old PL mags..

KevinStarke
04-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Haha dear god look at that arm.

Stumprrp
05-06-2006, 05:50 PM
kaz is the man, i say he can still put up 405 on bench easy and 500+ squats and deads.

i agree about the raw thing, i will never use equipment, i dont feel its needed. how good would i do in powerlifting in the 16 yr old class at 195? 245 bench 425 ish deadlift and 350-405 ish squat?

Gutz981
05-07-2006, 07:46 AM
At a local competition prolly pretty good.

KevinStarke
05-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I've only competed RAW so far man and i've beat out kids using shirts, granted they were a year or two younger than me but also a few weightclasses higher. Go and compete its really fun.

WBBIRL
05-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Weight class is the biggest thing, if your toating 50+ extra pounds of fat around like I am then it makes the task alot harder. If you can get to a respectable % of BF (I'd say under 15%) then you shouldn't need to worry about the weight classes.

Me for example, would probably have my ass handed to me right now because im way over weight and no where near my old strengths which still werent that impressive, Id go up aginst a 275lber whos been training seriously for 5+ years and get dominated.