PDA

View Full Version : Gallon of milk per day

gonzoflick
04-26-2006, 08:34 PM
OK so im bulking (currently at 195lb) and i have been working myself up to almost a gallon of milk per day. Its red cap milk so its 120cal per serving with 16 servings in a gallon. this is almost 3k calories of just milk. Can anyone tell meif this is ok to do for bulking? Should I switch to 2% for decrease the fat content?

Thanks

CarlP
04-26-2006, 08:48 PM
OK so im bulking (currently at 195lb) and i have been working myself up to almost a gallon of milk per day. Its red cap milk so its 120cal per serving with 16 servings in a gallon. this is almost 3k calories of just milk. Can anyone tell meif this is ok to do for bulking? Should I switch to 2% for decrease the fat content?

Thanks

I drink a full gallon of 2% most days, I haven't died yet. I don't think whole milk would be too bad.

Ironman15
04-26-2006, 09:00 PM
I thought whole milk has 150 calories per serving and 2% has 120 calories per serving? Atleast all the milk I've ever drank has been like that.

Optimum08
04-26-2006, 09:15 PM
if your digestive system can handle all that lactose, then go for it. Its a great cal dense liquid, plus its damn tasty. personally i couldn't stomach a gallon a day, thats just too much for my stomach/intestines to digest.

gonzoflick
04-26-2006, 09:18 PM
150 cal per serving your right.. stupid question but what are some signs my stocmach / digestive tract isnt digesting all the milk properly

Stackattack
04-26-2006, 09:37 PM
150 cal per serving your right.. stupid question but what are some signs my stocmach / digestive tract isnt digesting all the milk properly
Taken from wikipedia:

With lactose intolerance, the result of consuming lactose or a lactose-containing food is excess gas production and often diarrhea

The normal mammalian condition is for the young to lose the ability to digest effectively milk sugar (lactose) at the end of the weaning period (a species-specific length of time usually equal to roughly 3% of lifespan). In humans, lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) production usually drops about 90% during the first four years of life, though the exact drop and age varies widely. However, certain human populations have undergone a mutation on chromosome 2 which results in a bypass of the normal shutdown in lactase production, allowing members of these groups to continue consumption of fresh milk and fresh milk products throughout their lives.

most modern western Eurasians and people of western Eurasian ancestry show the effects of this mutation (that is, they are able to safely consume milk products all their lives) while most modern eastern Eurasians, sub-Saharan Africans and native peoples of the Americas and Pacific Islands do not (making them lactose intolerant as adults)

Without lactase, the lactose in milk remains uncleaved and unabsorbed. Lactose cannot pass easily through the intestinal wall into the bloodstream, so it remains in the intestines. Soon, gut bacteria adapt to the relative abundance of lactose (relative to other sugars like glucose) and switch over to metabolizing lactose. Along the way they produce copious amounts of gas by fermentation.

The gas causes a range of unpleasant abdominal symptoms, including stomach cramps, bloating, flatulence and diarrhoea. Like other unabsorbed sugars, e.g. mannitol, the lactose raises the osmotic pressure of the colon contents, preventing the colon from resorbing water and hence causing a laxative effect to add to the excessive gas production.

It is my understanding that you are either lactose intolerant or you are not.
Although there may be some threshold at which you are consuming more lactose than your body can break down. but i really have no idea.
If you're net getting excessive gas/diarrhea i'd say you're fine based off this information.

Stackattack
04-26-2006, 09:46 PM
I read some more and this was revealed:

It should be remembered that lactose intolerance is not a binary (all-or-nothing) condition: the reduction in lactase production, and hence, amount of lactose that can be tolerated varies from person to person, and may change with age.

If you're net getting excessive gas/diarrhea i'd say you're fine based off this information.
^^^^^
I guess this still applies though.

Optimum08
04-26-2006, 10:16 PM
basically all i was saying was that if i were to drink that much milk a day, i PERSONALLY would experience major stomach cramps and overall not well-feeling because my stomach couldn't handle all the lactose that was being thrown at it.

Spartan936
04-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Too much milk hurts my tummy too... HOWEVER, if I eat yogurt (good bacteria) through the day along with the milk I experience no stomach problems. It's really helped me out. Apparently the good bacteria helps to digest the lactose. I'm up to a half gallon of whole milk a day, sometimes a whole gallon. I'm sure to get plenty of olive oil as well, to balance out all of that saturated fat.

TechMetalMan
04-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Do you think that your stomach can adapt?

I remember not being able to have much milk at all, but now I seem to be able to drink much more.

235orbust
04-28-2006, 09:05 PM
anyone heard of the notion you cant drink more than a gallon of milk in an hour?

Davidelmo
04-29-2006, 06:42 AM
I do it quite often.. I'm still alive.

Just have plenty water too to help prevent kidney stones ;) (because, dont forget you're exceeding 1000% of your reccommended calcium intake!)

Although high protein actually affects calcium absorption.. so I wouldn't worry too much.

drew
04-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Whole milk is the reason I was able to break 200. Drink as much as possible.

Stumprrp
04-29-2006, 07:32 AM
milk is very good for you and is great for bulking, ever hear of squats and milk program? 20 rep squat routine along with 1 gal of milk a day and you will get massivly huge.

Eszekial
05-01-2006, 10:03 AM
I would avoid it due to the insulin spiking.

smalls
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Do you think that your stomach can adapt?

I remember not being able to have much milk at all, but now I seem to be able to drink much more.

I have also had the same problem. The first time I dieted I got rid of milk completely (I was dumb). When I started drinking milk again I got the worst gas ever, my stomach was upset and my stomach normally handles anything. It took a few weeks but it got back to normal.