PDA

View Full Version : squat 315x20 reps

biggimp
04-26-2006, 10:12 PM
at 230 bw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DGt04JczuMo

i know a few are questionable on depth but i reached my goal and no more 20 rep sets for me THANK GOD.

smalls
04-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Actually depth is fine. But your knees are coming in WAY WAY to close and your using far too much back. IMO your form starts to fall apart and rep 3 and just gets worse from there. It's not horrible, but it's injury prone IMO.

That being said, I cannot do that. But I think you would develop better, stronger legs from going lower, slower, and maintaining better form.

Stupendous
04-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Your form suffered greatly starting at around rep 4. Looks like you are GM'ing it.

biggimp
04-26-2006, 10:27 PM
thanks for the input guys.

i agree that knees come in a little bit, hips are my weak spot i guess. but i didnt feel i was bending over too far until after 15 or so. maybe thats just me. i do not round my back when doing sets of 6,7,8 or such, so im not too worried. i just wanted to do the little 20 rep thing for a while and see how it worked. i reached my goal so im done with them.

thoughtshewas18
04-26-2006, 10:30 PM
damn nice squattn bro, depth is no problem but ur form is questionable after 4+

Canadian Crippler
04-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Great lift dude, as mentioned form could be better. Try looking up, I noticed you look down which definitely contributes to the forward lean.

You made that look easy though. What do you squat at lower reps?

biggimp
04-26-2006, 11:24 PM
haha well i always look up. i looked forward this time to help me gauge my depth. so yeah like i said sets of 6,7,8 are usually pretty solid formwise.

lower reps i have no idea, i have been off and on with my workouts for the past year, so i havent really pushed myself that hard.
one year ago when i was able to squat 315x14 reps, about a month later i was at 515x1 so hopefully in a couple months maybe 525, 535 even.

dw06wu
04-27-2006, 12:25 AM
nothings ever good enough for anybody around here, it gets annoying.

good lift dude. You know, to me it looked like your knees were barely coming in at all.

smalls
04-27-2006, 01:22 AM
I agree that it seems everyone is coming down on him (me starting it). But that form is just asking for trouble IMO.

But as he as already stated, that is not his normal form and of course things get a bit different with high reps.

Either way, it IS a strong showing.

lilmase1153
04-27-2006, 03:21 AM
Damn bro thats an awesome lift, I myself use to love 20 rep sets and they were a regular for me.. I just cant imagine doing 315 for 20 and making it look as easy as you did..

Grats bro

KevinStarke
04-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Cant see the video yet but i'll check it out when I get home. 315 x 20 is impressive no matter what, dont care if it looks like your having seizures doin it. Hopefully i'll nail that one day.

Anthony
04-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Cant see the video

Sucka, I can see this one!

I think it looks good ... the knees were a little wobbly and you had a little forward lean in the later reps, but considering this was 20 reps with decent weight, I can't really fault you for it! Depth was great on most reps, maybe cut it close on a couple, but more than likely all were parallel (I'm too lazy to analyze every rep!).

Great stuff!!

WildCard
04-27-2006, 08:01 AM
wow. 315 X 20 dude thats strong. I can manage 225 * 8 and I weigh 25 lbs more than you so I defnitely give you props. and your form is far better than mine.

what kind of nutrition do you have for leg day and what supporting exercises do you do???

KevinStarke
04-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Sucka, I can see this one!

You no good canadian son of a bi.. you'll rue the day Tony.

Bareyataghan
04-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Is it ok to be locking your knees at the top of each squat? I heard somewhere that an angel loses it's wings everytime someone locks their knees at the top of their squat

Anthony
04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Locking is fine, just don't hyperextend.

deeder
04-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Is it ok to be locking your knees at the top of each squat? I heard somewhere that an angel loses it's wings everytime someone locks their knees at the top of their squat

Yeah... There's a bunch of 1-winged angels flopping around in heaven... It's kind of funny actually...

Wicked set bro!

Gutz981
04-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Damn, made it look easy strong lift dude. But to get the full effect of a 20 rep set you shoulda got some sound going to get the 'Ohhhhhhh son of a bitch' 'this sucks' 'I hate life' Those usually occur around 15+. lol

Nice lift.

Stumprrp
04-27-2006, 04:08 PM
wow dude, that was insane, the depth was great on all of them also, you look pretty young and "no offence" not gigantic as i expected!

drew
04-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Dude, I think I could squat 315 20 times. Just not all in one set. That's a great display of strength right there.

Comments on your form: Depth was good on all reps. Remember to force your knees out, that right knee is looking unstable which can be a nasty injury. As for "GMing" the weight up. That's an ab/lower back strength issue, but mostly it looks like a fatigue issue.

I would probably be splayed out on the floor by the 12th rep or so.

KevinStarke
04-27-2006, 04:15 PM
^ Im with drew on that, I can bench all day long but high reps with squats just isnt my thing.

biggimp
04-27-2006, 05:58 PM
wow dude, that was insane, the depth was great on all of them also, you look pretty young and "no offence" not gigantic as i expected!

hahaha yeah i am 19, 20 in december. i guess i dont look as big as 230 because a lot of my weight is in my legs, idk.

anyways thanks for the comments guys i appreciate it.

on thing though, about my knees going in. i have been going faster on my sets of 20 than i normally do on regular sets, i was thinking that that probably just made the situation worse? because my knees dont go in nearly that much on lower rep sets.

Stumprrp
04-27-2006, 06:04 PM
next time you do a 20 rep set, try them like in breathing squat routines, take your 12 RM and do it for 20.

WBBIRL
04-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Im with crippy on looking up, looking forward had you doing a kind of GM thing in the last 1/4 of the rep. And although at 315 its not an issue... when you start squatting 500, 600, 700lbs it begins to become an issue. A 700LB GM = Back problems lol.

Strong as hell though, next time if you can get a spotter to help you out so he can guage your depth... that way you can look up and keep the form better.

Meat_Head
04-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Impressive strength, although you were basically doing squat GM's for the last half of the set. As for 515x1... no offense but I have trouble believing that!

biggimp
04-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Impressive strength, although you were basically doing squat GM's for the last half of the set. As for 515x1... no offense but I have trouble believing that!

like i said that was a year ago when i did 515x1. im willing to bet with 3 months training i could hit 535 pretty easily.

i also pulled 535 @ 220 last year in a usapl sanctioned meet. but i guess that is hard to believe as well. oh well.

Sensei
04-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Damn strong! Nice job!!!!

Rex
04-28-2006, 05:28 PM
That was money. Very nice depth, very impressive lifting.

chris mason
04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
That is VERY nice. You really could do more for reps if you did a bit more breathing between the latter reps.

GOOD JOB!

D Breyer
04-28-2006, 06:00 PM
impressive lift bro

f=ma
04-28-2006, 07:37 PM
damn bro i missed this earlier. you did it, very nice!! you switching to low rep range now?

BCC
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I agree with Chris. Very nice with more reps in you.

Bob
04-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Dang Gimp... that's awesome.. heck with form... you pushed though them.. heck, I think you might have a 405 x 20...

But how you feeling today? Your back tight? those GM Squats looked dangerous...

Way to go and keep it up...
And ignore xMeat_Headx!!!!

PS Edit.. I wish I was a teenager again...

biggimp
04-28-2006, 08:43 PM
wasnt sore besides my quads, just like normal squat days.

Chris Rodgers
04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Sick squat bro. My raw form looks a lot like yours( I go a bit wider though).
When I have my gear on and squat I have like almost picture perfect form(in regards to knees, back, chest, etc.). When I go raw I usually get the GM thing going on.

20+ rep sets are nasty. Highest I've ever done was 225 and if I didn't feel like I was going to pass out I could have kept repping. \

And as far as looking up goes, I prefer to look forward when squatting and pulling. Looking up for some people might throw off your balance/form and if you look at most big squats/deads from powerlifters you will see them looking forward. Only a few people might look up, but I wouldn't teach my own lifters/partners to lift that way personally.

bill
04-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Very strong, do you plan to keep gaining wt?

MixmasterNash
04-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Have you squatted at a meet in gear? You've got an amazing strength base.

Goodwinm
04-29-2006, 05:26 PM
very strong. Now thats the kind of stuff i wanna be seing! I take my hat off for you!

Id love to see more videos of peoples Mil presses too. I think mil presses are so underlooked and they are one of my favourite lifts!!

Patz
04-29-2006, 10:38 PM
awesome video! that's some sick reps that that weight. it was really very smooth.

i'm blown away that you can lean up rep after rep like that, though. your back must be strong as hell..lol

biggimp
04-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Have you squatted at a meet in gear? You've got an amazing strength base.

i have done one meet with a squat suit, it was just an inzer z suit, i think i hit something like 425 (this was when i was first starting) after that i have just done raw. i felt like i wasnt lifting enough to require wearing a suit and all that. maybe when i can start squatting 600 or so raw i will move to a suit.

K.Huget
04-30-2006, 03:36 PM
very strong. Now thats the kind of stuff i wanna be seing! I take my hat off for you!

Id love to see more videos of peoples Mil presses too. I think mil presses are so underlooked and they are one of my favourite lifts!!

I'm just curious, would you want to see military press maxes or 20 reps like these ones? Also what would be an impressive weight?

Goodwinm
04-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm just curious, would you want to see military press maxes or 20 reps like these ones? Also what would be an impressive weight?
id like to see maxes as wellas 20 reps for mil's. but more so the maxes
impressive to me is bodyweight mil presses. Cuz that is tough ****. especially for heavier guys.

K.Huget
04-30-2006, 03:53 PM
id like to see maxes as wellas 20 reps for mil's. but more so the maxes
impressive to me is bodyweight mil presses. Cuz that is tough ****. especially for heavier guys.

Yeah I was just wondering because i'm big on military presses too and i'll probably post a video during the summer when i'm off my cut.

If anybody has a good video of themselves military pressing then post it now!

Goodwinm
04-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah I was just wondering because i'm big on military presses too and i'll probably post a video during the summer when i'm off my cut.

If anybody has a good video of themselves military pressing then post it now!
Ill try get one tomoz. Hopefully of me Military Pressing 70kg (154lbs) That wud be my record. and wud be my bodyweight :)

u get one of your bodyweight too dude ;)
Also shred. not sure if i asked you this before.
But do you have to pull the weight from the floor first? Or do you have a rack to pres the weight from? Im sure ive asked this q before. but not sure if it was to you.
Sory to hijack thread

Meat_Head
04-30-2006, 08:50 PM
like i said that was a year ago when i did 515x1. im willing to bet with 3 months training i could hit 535 pretty easily.

i also pulled 535 @ 220 last year in a usapl sanctioned meet. but i guess that is hard to believe as well. oh well.

Cool, I wouldn't doubt that considering the video! The only thing that made me question 515x1 was the size of your frame, although I guess the video doesn't do justice to that anyway. Keep it up!

K.Huget
04-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Ill try get one tomoz. Hopefully of me Military Pressing 70kg (154lbs) That wud be my record. and wud be my bodyweight :)

u get one of your bodyweight too dude ;)
Also shred. not sure if i asked you this before.
But do you have to pull the weight from the floor first? Or do you have a rack to pres the weight from? Im sure ive asked this q before. but not sure if it was to you.
Sory to hijack thread

I just did some research and this whole time I had thought I was doing a military press. I have actually been doing push presses. I'm going to experiment with standing up more this week and see how it goes. I bet i'll be able to push just as much weight though. Haha I feel like quite the idiot right now. To answer your question i'll be pressing from a rack. I already have clean and jerk's worked into my schedule.

Beast
04-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Really impressive! Depth and everything.

I do agree that you might want to watch your back, though.

Goodwinm
05-01-2006, 03:15 AM
I just did some research and this whole time I had thought I was doing a military press. I have actually been doing push presses. I'm going to experiment with standing up more this week and see how it goes. I bet i'll be able to push just as much weight though. Haha I feel like quite the idiot right now. To answer your question i'll be pressing from a rack. I already have clean and jerk's worked into my schedule.
lol. you sausage.
i thought these were push presses...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/PushPress.html

Well, we shall see. With push presses it requires use of legs more, so it helps the shoulders. What i do is pull the weight up first, cuz i have no rack, and then press it with no leg movement at all.

K.Huget
05-01-2006, 11:38 AM
lol. you sausage.
i thought these were push presses...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/PushPress.html

Well, we shall see. With push presses it requires use of legs more, so it helps the shoulders. What i do is pull the weight up first, cuz i have no rack, and then press it with no leg movement at all.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/BBShoulderPress.html

I guess what I do is called a shoulder press, how gay is that. Yeah when I start doing true military presses this week I won't be using my legs. I think the hardest part will be staying fairly vertical and not bending back to use the chest too much.

In regards to the thread topic, even though your form gets a little questionable it is still awesome strength. I've never done 20 squats in one set in my life.