PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Chains to barbell

betastas
04-27-2006, 08:06 AM
How do you attach your chains to the barbell? Are there collars that have latching to clip the chains onto? Is there a good clamp you can pick up at a hardware store? I've hooked the 1/4" chain around the bar with a simple S hook and used another to attach the 1/2" chains, but if I get unsteady they can slide around. Using regular clamps outside of the 1/4" chains can work, but I would
like something that the chain can attach onto.

Any recommendations on a good clamp? I've checked out a few sports equipment stores but without much luck.

Searched the forums for about 20 min, not much luck either.

Anthony
04-27-2006, 08:17 AM
I think the 1/4" chain with a hook for the 5/8" chain is how most people do it.

Are you talking about the chain sliding down the bar, or just swaying back and forth?

Sensei
04-27-2006, 08:23 AM
http://media.putfile.com/squat-with-chains

Just collars should keep the chains from shifting too much on the bar.

KevinStarke
04-27-2006, 08:28 AM
I've always used the 1/4" chain sandwhiched between the plates and a clamp and attached the 5/8" to that.

betastas
04-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Sliding down the bar. Rare occasions, but hey, it happens.
Swaying isn't an issue.

Looks like I should get a pair of standard BB clamps to prevent it from sliding, and just use a snap-clasp instead of an S hook.

What do you guys use?

Sensei
04-27-2006, 03:37 PM
You should be able to tell from the clips, but I use 5/8" chain (or 3/8" tow chain of longer lengths doubled up) with 1/4" connector chain. You can buy carbiners from most hardware stores or climbing specialty stores.

I wouldn't recommend S hooks, because if you are setting up the chain so that it deloads at the bottom I would be worried about the chain coming off the S hooks.

betastas
04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks Sensei

I'm going to pick up some 1/2" and 1/4". I can pick up some steel clip-rings too. Problem lies in finding a place that sells the 1/2". Looks like I'll have to head to the farming store.