PDA

View Full Version : very high calorie shakes, are they safe?

TOBART
04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm considering trying to drink a 1700 calorie shake before I go to sleep. I'm thinking something along the lines of:

4 scoops Nlarge2 (600cals, 55g protein)
2 scoops Gold Medal Carbs (400cals, 0g protein)
1 cup milk (120 cals, 9g protein)
2 tbsp olive oil (240cals, 0g protein)
a few scoops of ice cream (~300 cals, ~10g protein)
1 cup water (0 cals)

Now this isn't something I could drink in a few seconds. I'd probably spend an hour or so just sipping on it before bed. My last meal (~500cals, 20g protein) would be eatten half hour before I started drinking this.

So the question is...
Is this likely to cause a lot of digestive problems for me?
Does this just generally sound like a bad idea?

As it is right now, I drink an 800 cal shake before bed and another 800 cal shake first thing in the morning. I eat 4 good meals between the shakes. I'm really struggling to put on weight, seems like I just plateaued at 155 and I have to eat to the point of almost puking just to maintain this weight.

smalls
04-27-2006, 11:50 PM
I dont think a sudden jump in calories, especially from one meal is great. But I have an ironclad stomach and it wouldnt be a problem for me. When bulking I usually have a 1200 cal shake before bed, 500 cal shake at 3-4 am and then another 1200 cal shake when I wake up, give or take.

But everyone is different. Some peoples stomach couldnt handle it well.

If your not gaining just add calories overall. It doesnt need to be in one meal if that causes you problems. Eat more until your gaining.

Sidior
04-28-2006, 01:07 AM
I dont think a sudden jump in calories, especially from one meal is great. But I have an ironclad stomach and it wouldnt be a problem for me. When bulking I usually have a 1200 cal shake before bed, 500 cal shake at 3-4 am and then another 1200 cal shake when I wake up, give or take.

But everyone is different. Some peoples stomach couldnt handle it well.

If your not gaining just add calories overall. It doesnt need to be in one meal if that causes you problems. Eat more until your gaining.

Do you find you are not as rested in the morning when you wake up nightly to have an additional shake?

smalls
04-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Do you find you are not as rested in the morning when you wake up nightly to have an additional shake?

Years ago on my first bulk I set an alarm to eat at night. IMO that's not a great idea and will cut into sleep, just eat more during the day.

But now I wake up at least once to pee, that is when I have my nightly shake and I dont feel that effects my sleep since it's my normal pattern.

I often do this when cutting too when I get real low cals and dont want to go 8 hours without eating.

Sidior
04-28-2006, 01:14 AM
interesting....thanks

Scarecrow
04-28-2006, 01:16 AM
I remember before I would drink these protein shakes that had 1,500calories, it felt like I was gonna have a heart attack after.

HILL
04-28-2006, 02:01 AM
LOL really must have been a crazy shake. I have also read about people taking in shakes during the night and when bulking i did the same thing as smalls. For some reason now maybe lazyness i never wake up and prefer my sleep to waking myself up

Canadian Crippler
04-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Just so you know, that won't mix.

eps
04-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Just so you know, that won't mix.

He's right ... I'd add a lot more milk or water

WORLD
04-28-2006, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=smalls] When bulking I usually have a 1200 cal shake before bed, [QUOTE]
Smalls man, show me the ingredients to your 1200 cal shake... I can barely get mine over 500-600...

WORLD
04-28-2006, 09:46 PM
stupidd quotes

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-28-2006, 10:22 PM
^^

You need to finish that last post with a [/quote]. You forgot the slash.

smalls
04-29-2006, 01:04 AM
[QUOTE=smalls] When bulking I usually have a 1200 cal shake before bed, [QUOTE]
Smalls man, show me the ingredients to your 1200 cal shake... I can barely get mine over 500-600...

2.5 cups skim milk
3 scoops protein
1.5 cup oatmeal
1 tblsp olive oil

Give or take. That was the biggest my shakes got. I usually had them around 900 per shake, first one was usually the biggest.

WORLD
04-29-2006, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=World-Is-Yours][QUOTE=smalls] When bulking I usually have a 1200 cal shake before bed,

2.5 cups skim milk
3 scoops protein
1.5 cup oatmeal
1 tblsp olive oil

Give or take. That was the biggest my shakes got. I usually had them around 900 per shake, first one was usually the biggest.

Ya I guess its those 3 scoops of whey. I only throw in 1 scoop. But I add so many more ingredients, maybe I should recalculate everything. I could be underestimating the calories in my shake.
Oatmeal gets stuck in your throat eh.. I hate that.

Clifford Gillmore
04-29-2006, 09:20 AM
1200 cals was the biggest shake I had, I had 4-5 of those a day.

smalls
04-29-2006, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=smalls][QUOTE=World-Is-Yours]

Ya I guess its those 3 scoops of whey. I only throw in 1 scoop. But I add so many more ingredients, maybe I should recalculate everything. I could be underestimating the calories in my shake.
Oatmeal gets stuck in your throat eh.. I hate that.

In all honesty that much protein isnt really necassary. I do use steroids so my protein synthesis abilites are going to be higher than the average joe, most likely. You could make up for those cals with an extra tbs of olive oil.

More ingredients are good, but expensive, my 1200 calories shake is around 2 bucks. Also blend the oatmeal longer, then just drink half and reblend it, drink a little more and reblend it, that helps with the consistency.

method115
04-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Once my cousin gave me the rest of his GNC weightgainer 1800 cause he didn't want to bulk anymore. So the first day I tried to down one serving of it real quick like by chugging down the whole thing at once. It was an 1800 calorie shake and it was 6-7 cups worth of liquid that was very very thick. Anyways after drinking it all I held it down for about 2 minutes and then threw up over half of it never drank a weight gainer again after that.

Gutz981
04-29-2006, 04:38 PM
I take 4 thousand calorie shakes a day...plus a 1000 or so from food. Makes it alot easier to get the cals I need.

Cut150
04-29-2006, 09:12 PM

I'm not Smalls. Or a man. But:

2 bananas
1 medium sized orange
3 graham crackers
3/4 cups of oats
8 ounces of milk

will get you 834 calories, 11 grams of fat, 169 carbs and 26 grams of protein. Toss in your scoop(s) of protein, add more milk, a tablespoon of olive oil and you will easily get over 1200.

Just a suggestion recipe.

TOBART
05-07-2006, 10:59 PM
I started drinking that shake I listed in my original post. Its horrible; just 22 ounces of thick choclate paste. I'm also doing a 1200 cal shake first thing in the morning. I'm going to start waking up in the middle of the night to just drink a bit of that morning shake.

JesseM
05-08-2006, 10:44 AM
I drink a shake like Smalls posted. One for breakfast, 1/2 a serving after work, One before bed.

Usually I make mine like this:

1 cup ground oats
2 scoops whey
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups whole milk
Total: 1,100 calories

I started grinding my oats in my blender before mixing with any liquids. It makes my shakes a lot easier to prepare and consume. I store the oat powder in a old 5lb protein tub. A cup of whole oats = about 2.5 scoops of these ground oats if using a ON whey scoop.

TOBART
05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I tried oats in a shake once and I kept gagging on them. Are you just putting uncooked oats in the blender and grinding them down as fine as you can?

It would be nice to have a good, cheap carb / fiber source in my shakes though.

JesseM
05-09-2006, 01:23 AM
I tried oats in a shake once and I kept gagging on them. Are you just putting uncooked oats in the blender and grinding them down as fine as you can?

Yup, that's exactly what I do. It's a cheapo blender that I bought at walgreens. It takes around 5-10 minutes to "powder" 2-3 pounds of oats. I use both the grind and puree buttons to get them nice and powdery. I shake the blender while it's working to get all the flakes to hit the blades. This is possibly a good way to overwork and kill a blender, but it's worked so far and I'll just go spend another 15-20 bucks when it does die. I've seen coffee grinders suggested, but I like a blender for the larger capacity.

Give it a try, this makes it super easy to mix and drink from a shaker cup. I'll never buy a commercial weight gainer again.

cy6ex
05-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Thank you all for a good thread. It had help answered alot of questions regarding weightgainer. Got my two tubs of ON 100% this morning. :D

McIrish
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm considering trying to drink a 1700 calorie shake before I go to sleep. I'm thinking something along the lines of:

4 scoops Nlarge2 (600cals, 55g protein)
2 scoops Gold Medal Carbs (400cals, 0g protein)
1 cup milk (120 cals, 9g protein)
2 tbsp olive oil (240cals, 0g protein)
a few scoops of ice cream (~300 cals, ~10g protein)
1 cup water (0 cals)

Now this isn't something I could drink in a few seconds. I'd probably spend an hour or so just sipping on it before bed. My last meal (~500cals, 20g protein) would be eatten half hour before I started drinking this.

So the question is...
Is this likely to cause a lot of digestive problems for me?
Does this just generally sound like a bad idea?

As it is right now, I drink an 800 cal shake before bed and another 800 cal shake first thing in the morning. I eat 4 good meals between the shakes. I'm really struggling to put on weight, seems like I just plateaued at 155 and I have to eat to the point of almost puking just to maintain this weight.

I'm jsut curious what exactly this is - if it's carbs you're after, why not just buy Quaker Oats and save yourself the $ you're spending on this supp?