PDA

View Full Version : Muscles Burn Lactic Acid as well as Carbs

Anthony
04-28-2006, 05:27 AM
http://www.physorg.com/news64680736.html

"New study reveals a critical pathway by which lactic acid directly fuels human performance and suggests an important link between aerobic and anaerobic systems previously thought to be distinct. The implications for understanding CrossFit's efficacy are enormous."

Canadian Crippler
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
That's very interesting. The reason your body goes into lactic acid fermentation IS to produce more cell energy when aerobic cellular respiration cannot occur, so I wouldn't doubt what this man is saying.

I'm a little confused as to what he is saying though. Is he saying that the body can actually use Lactic Acid itself as fuel, or is he saying the process of returning to Glycolosis(sp?) becomes more efficient?

Anthony
04-28-2006, 04:22 PM
It sounds like the mitochondria can learn to use it directly, but maybe the article over simplified and there's still conversion that takes place. Either way, it's a pretty big step forward in understanding lactid acid, etc.

Canadian Crippler
04-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Let's start working for a pump! :D

Nito
04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
That's very interesting. The reason your body goes into lactic acid fermentation IS to produce more cell energy when aerobic cellular respiration cannot occur, so I wouldn't doubt what this man is saying.

I'm a little confused as to what he is saying though. Is he saying that the body can actually use Lactic Acid itself as fuel, or is he saying the process of returning to Glycolosis(sp?) becomes more efficient?

Lol, Grade 11 Bio.

ddegroff
04-28-2006, 08:20 PM
In my anatomy class this semester my teacher told me that the mucles can start using Lactic acid (once converted) when oxygen is available. I always thought it needed to go to the liver first.

To convert lactic acid to glucose it needs to go to the liver. Its converted in the Cori Cycle. Maybe with endurance training the body adapts and has more Oxygen already available. So the cells have no need to send the Lactic acid to the liver.

Looking through my A&P it says nothing about the muscles cells converting Lactic acid. This is still really interesting, does anybody know where the actual study is? I would like to read it.

Canadian Crippler
04-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Lol, Grade 11 Bio.Good course :D