PDA

View Full Version : Weight of heavy bag

Ironman15
05-01-2006, 02:59 AM
I've been thinking about buying a heavy bag to practice with as I plan on starting kickboxing and BJJ this summer. I was looking at some and realized that there are a ton of different bag sizes weight wise from like 25lbs to 250lbs. I was just curious was to what size would be the best for me. I'm 5'5" 140lbs? Obviously the smaller ones are much cheaper so I'm leaning towards something smaller, but I don't want it to be too small. Any ideas? Thanks

I've also seen where they have them unfilled and you fill them yourself. This seems like a much cheaper option and i guess you can change the weight by using different stuffing material such as sand, or old clothes or rice.

Goodwinm
05-01-2006, 04:33 AM
do you compete? If so, you might wanna stick to a heavy bag thats about your own weight. maybe 5-10kg heavier. So you can train as if it were someone in your weight class.

Cheap option yes would be just buy the bag and fill your own crap in it. Whether it be, water, sand, slugs. Whatever hehe. Compost can be quite cheap. You could fill it up with that.
for water, its 1kg per 1litre of water. So 100 litres in a heavy bag, = 100kg (220lbs)

Ironman15
05-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Haven't even started training either yet, won't start until the summer, so competition is a ways away for me, although it is something I'm interested in.

diesel_dan
05-01-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm going to be getting one here soon too. I think what I am going to do is buy one of the one's you fill it up yourself and fill it up with rice. I can get the stuff at sams pretty cheap. I read someone else here did that too awhile back. I never knew you could feel them with water though, goodwinner?

Bam
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
water works very well.

Goodwinm
05-01-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm going to be getting one here soon too. I think what I am going to do is buy one of the one's you fill it up yourself and fill it up with rice. I can get the stuff at sams pretty cheap. I read someone else here did that too awhile back. I never knew you could feel them with water though, goodwinner?
yep indeed you can. Just make sure the plug hole is screwed/tightened very tight and has no way of coming off. because if that **** splits. Get ready for a swim. I dont think water is the best cuz of leakage problems etc, but it is free (well nearly free) lol. So very cheap.

Kevin89
05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
You should probaly wait till summer and ask your instructor about this, I think that would be a better idea unless your just practicing at home you could always try them out at the store and see what feels good to you