PDA

View Full Version : 175.8 lbs and no 6 pack?? Huh?

John04Civic
05-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey guys, I just weighed myself yesterday after I woke up and I weighed in at 175.8 lbs. and with 14.5% body fat (69% water weight) on my scale. I am barely starting to see some definition, but nothing worth taking a picture.

YES I know its not accurate, but a drop is a drop no matter how you look at it. I do have the calipers too and I have noticed a 1mm drop on those in measurements.

What I am scared for is that I'm going to have to go down to 160 lbs before I get a ripped set of abs. I know I am not losing muscle, because I'm still lifting good and making gains in areas (Running on a modded 5X5 routine). What I'm asking in other words is.. Is this normal?

Maybe I just don't realize how low my LBM was in the first place?

ddegroff
05-01-2006, 08:55 AM
see I reached my goal weight of 175, and still didnt have a six pack. Yes that scale isnt very accurate and probably your idea of your lbm is a little off. I would focus more on the way you look than what the scale says. If you want a 6 pack cut till you see it.

JaCelica2k
05-01-2006, 09:04 AM
maybe I am missing something, but your BF% seems kinda high to see ab definition. If you want a six pack I would guess you are going to have to cut down to 6-10%

Jordanbcool
05-01-2006, 09:15 AM
maybe I am missing something, but your BF% seems kinda high to see ab definition. If you want a six pack I would guess you are going to have to cut down to 6-10%

I agree. For most people 10% is the bare minimum for a 6-pack. Thats what im aiming for on my cut.

-jordan

seK
05-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I would get your BF% done correctly then go from there.

John04Civic
05-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Okay.. I was just making sure I was sitll on track. Thanks fellas.

Bam
05-01-2006, 06:41 PM
how tall are you?

Optimum08
05-01-2006, 07:18 PM
if you want a 6-pack that bad, cut till you have a 6-pack.

ColorCrimson
05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Visible six packs aren't natural so 15% bf is probably why you don't see anything yet. I'm at 9.8% and mine isn't really defined either.

cphafner
05-01-2006, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't go by the BF of the scale. What do you get based on calipers. You would need to get down to about 7-8% for a solid midsection.

John04Civic
05-01-2006, 08:01 PM
how tall are you?
I should of specified..

I'm 6.0 ft.

Thats why I'm worried. I see 5'9 guys pushing 170 with a 6 pack.. It looks like I'm gonna be like 159 and that scares me a lot. Makes me sound like a skinny lil' dude when I'm not.

Jorge Sanchez
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I was 6'1'' at probably under 170lbs at one point, and I've never had what I would describe as a six pack. After bulking up to 205, I can see my abs better than I ever have before.

At your height and weight, I would consider putting on some LBM before worrying about your abs. But that's just me -- different strokes for different folks, and all. But you're probably going to have to lose at least another 10-15lbs before you can see your abs.

ShockBoxer
05-02-2006, 05:49 PM
It's because of the becoming scrawny factor that I stopped my cut before my target of 'abs'. I would have had to drop another 10 pounds easily and while 146 at 5'4 isn't exactly skinny I wasn't comfortable with the idea. My new plan is to float around 160 (+/- 5) through bulks and cuts until I get where I want to be body fat wise.

KarateBoy
05-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Recently I bulked up to about 14.5% BF and my abs are still sorta visable whne I stand and decent when I flex.

When I was 13% they were decent relaxed and probably my best muscle group flexed.

I'm 6'0'' @ 165 lbs ATM

I guess it could depend on your body type? I've had abs almost my entire life.

Now my bench....thats never there...:)

jlewis_media
05-02-2006, 11:51 PM
im trying my best to get those results...

Jordanbcool
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
It's because of the becoming scrawny factor that I stopped my cut before my target of 'abs'. I would have had to drop another 10 pounds easily and while 146 at 5'4 isn't exactly skinny I wasn't comfortable with the idea. My new plan is to float around 160 (+/- 5) through bulks and cuts until I get where I want to be body fat wise.

Christ and i thought I was small!! (no offense just a light joke)

But i've also had doubts if I should keep cutting or not. Right now i'm 5'8 190 pounds at 13% bf. I wouldnt say thats small at all for my height but i'd say the majority of my weight is in my lower body. Looking in the mirror I have a HUGE ass and monsterous thighs. But I can easliy flex them and see that they do not jiggle one bit. My upper body is more cut but just all around alot smaller. This is why people often tell me I look like im 150 tops.

Meh. I just figure im going to have to cut eventually unless I want to be a fat slob so i might as well get it over with and do a clean bulk next time around.

I just wish my upper body was up to speed with my lower body....:rolleyes:

-jordan

zer06ame
05-03-2006, 11:21 AM
your actual weight doesn't really mean anything, just aim for losing the bodyfat and not focus so much on your actual overall weight
hell, what's wrong with being light? i'm 148lbs now at about 8.5% bodyfat and i look bigger than most people at 175 at the same height (5 foot 8) and i'm stronger than most people that weigh 175. if you're afraid of being lighter because you think you're going to be weaker don't even worry about it, just keep cutting as long as you don't see a big drop in strength (i haven't seen any, actually gone up in strength since i started cutting a month ago)

John04Civic
05-03-2006, 04:07 PM
your actual weight doesn't really mean anything, just aim for losing the bodyfat and not focus so much on your actual overall weight
hell, what's wrong with being light? i'm 148lbs now at about 8.5% bodyfat and i look bigger than most people at 175 at the same height (5 foot 8) and i'm stronger than most people that weigh 175. if you're afraid of being lighter because you think you're going to be weaker don't even worry about it, just keep cutting as long as you don't see a big drop in strength (i haven't seen any, actually gone up in strength since i started cutting a month ago)
Okay I'm glad I"m not alone here.. I have been seeing Strength gains too in most areas. Some are slower than others, but they are still there overall

Jordanbcool
05-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Okay I'm glad I"m not alone here.. I have been seeing Strength gains too in most areas. Some are slower than others, but they are still there overall

Likewise. Really there is no reason why you shouldnt be making great strength gains on cuts or bulks. It all has to do with pre-workout meals.

-jordan

CrazyK
05-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Likewise. Really there is not reason why you shouldnt be making great strength gains on cuts or bulks. It all has to do with pre-workout meals.

-jordanActually it has a lot more to it than just pre-workout meals.

Jordanbcool
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Actually it has a lot more to it than just pre-workout meals.

Examples?

-jordan

Optimum08
05-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Likewise. Really there is no reason why you shouldnt be making great strength gains on cuts or bulks. It all has to do with pre-workout meals.

-jordan

how bout you give me an example of how someone makes great strength gains while in significant caloric deficit on a cut? it is impossible to gain SIGNIFICANT amounts of strength or muscle mass while on a cut, because gaining muscle/strength takes A LOT of energy (calories) and when your in caloric deficit those cals go to a lot more important things (for the body) than building excess muscle mass.

CrazyK
05-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Examples?

-jordan
Neural efficiency.

Jordanbcool
05-03-2006, 06:22 PM
how bout you give me an example of how someone makes great strength gains while in significant caloric deficit on a cut? it is impossible to gain SIGNIFICANT amounts of strength or muscle mass while on a cut, because gaining muscle/strength takes A LOT of energy (calories) and when your in caloric deficit those cals go to a lot more important things (for the body) than building excess muscle mass.

Well then that depends on your idea of significant gains now dosent it?
And notice I didnt say muscle mass but rather strength.

Theres is obviously alot more to strength gains then pre-workout meals. Im no idiot. Depending on what you eat though pre-workout meals will have a HUGE effect on your workouts. Also reps. are very important. I use 5x5 for auxilaries now instead of my normal 3x10. I've gone up in all my lifts even when I drop back down to my 3x10 reps. Curls, shrugs, etc. all have gone up.

-jordan

Example: Since cutting I've increased my bench press by two dumbell sizes. While bulking I used to use 75 pounds for reps. Now I use 85's.

Optimum08
05-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Well then that depends on your idea of significant gains now dosent it?

And notice I didnt say muscle mass but rather strength.

-jordan

notice that strength very rarely comes without muscle mass

Optimum08
05-03-2006, 06:26 PM
and what is your idea of significant gains? when u say significant it connotes a major number not just 5-10-15 lbs.

Jordanbcool
05-03-2006, 06:32 PM
and what is your idea of significant gains? when u say significant it connotes a major number not just 5-10-15 lbs.

I'll reply to your first post...first lol.

Muscle mass is a big factor in strength but its not the most important factor. I see kids all the time half my height and weight do more weight then me. Plenty of times. We've all discussed this before that certain people can just outlift others even though they are much much smaller.

On a cut?! I would consider 10-15 a significant gain. With the ROM on dumbell bench as opposed to barbell bench press those two dumbell sizes would probably be alot of weight on the bar. I dont know, I dont train that way. But im sure if I did my bench would have gone up ALOT.

Like I said, its all about what you think "significant" is.

-jordan

Bam
05-03-2006, 06:33 PM
When i was 5"11 168 pounds i had no 6 pac(or any ab definition) =/ now i weigh 185 and i definatley have no abs

i dont understand =/

My dad had the same problem when he was in highschool no matter how hard he cut he couldnt get a 6 pac. My brother is 5"11 165 pounds firefighter and in pretty good shape and has no ab definition either but some really nice pecs.

im starting to think i was born without abs =P hahaha

LiFtHaTiRoN
05-03-2006, 06:45 PM

I agree, you should cut down to atleast 13%, and then you will start to see a six pack, depending on how strong your abs are. How often do you train abs?

Jordanbcool
05-03-2006, 07:43 PM
When i was 5"11 168 pounds i had no 6 pac(or any ab definition) =/ now i weigh 185 and i definatley have no abs

i dont understand =/

My dad had the same problem when he was in highschool no matter how hard he cut he couldnt get a 6 pac. My brother is 5"11 165 pounds firefighter and in pretty good shape and has no ab definition either but some really nice pecs.

im starting to think i was born without abs =P hahaha

Oh you have abs alright. The little guys are hiding. Cutting often isnt as productive for you abs to show as simply building them in the first place. If your abs are THAT stubborn i'd suggest doing some weighted crunches or weighted decline situps. They REALLY worked for me. Screw the 60 situps crap. Weighted situps and different angled situps (decline) will have you seeing those little bumps in your stomach in no time.

-jordan

John04Civic
05-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I agree, you should cut down to atleast 13%, and then you will start to see a six pack, depending on how strong your abs are. How often do you train abs?
I've been doing abs about once or twice a week..

i will do Reverse crunches lying on an incline bench (at highest incline, I will bring my knees to my chest).

I also do HLRs on another session.

As for the gains discussion, I will admit fully my gains are much slower than they were on the bulk, BUT they are still there. I was DB Pressing 75s and FINALLY was able to hit 75X5 for all 5 sets today, I will be moving up to 80s next week.

Keith
05-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Oh you have abs alright. The little guys are hiding. Cutting often isnt as productive for you abs to show as simply building them in the first place. If your abs are THAT stubborn i'd suggest doing some weighted crunches or weighted decline situps. They REALLY worked for me. Screw the 60 situps crap. Weighted situps and different angled situps (decline) will have you seeing those little bumps in your stomach in no time.

-jordan

Any weighted ab exercise will be beneficial in comparison to exercises with body weight. Go heavy and slow negatives. Try to keep it under 20, even 15 reps.

Jason Rbns
05-06-2006, 09:08 AM
I have a question similar to this... I've gotten down to about 7% BF at 152 lbs but I only saw a faint little line of upper abs... I used to be insanely fat and now I can pull my stomach skin out a lonng way... Is it excess skin covering up my abs? And if it is... Will it go away???

Jordanbcool
05-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Any weighted ab exercise will be beneficial in comparison to exercises with body weight. Go heavy and slow negatives. Try to keep it under 20, even 15 reps.

Hell I do 4 sets of 8 with REALLY heavy weight. The weight got so high I had to ditch the plates and use dumbells. I think I use 70 pound dumbells now. Worked very very well for me. But yea, doing them slowly is the best way to do em. You get the full muscle contraction that way. I used to do them fast and bounce alot. Big mistake.

-jordan

Keith
05-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Hell I do 4 sets of 8 with REALLY heavy weight. The weight got so high I had to ditch the plates and use dumbells. I think I use 70 pound dumbells now. Worked very very well for me. But yea, doing them slowly is the best way to do em. You get the full muscle contraction that way. I used to do them fast and bounce alot. Big mistake.

-jordan

Haha, 8 reps? You going for a PR soon? :p
That'll definately work too, just my lower back hates me when id do any exercise under 15 reps.