PDA

View Full Version : killer brown rice recipe

crunkdizzle
05-01-2006, 09:08 AM
i have no idea what this would be called, but my dad just started making it and now i never go a day without eating any of it.

all it is, is brown rice with ground beef, and spaghetti sauce.

you will need about 3 lbs ground beef, 1 lb 10oz spaghetti sauce jar, 2x 14oz boxes of brown rice, and a 6oz can of tomato paste

(makes enough to last a week, if you dont want this much, use half of everything)

first fry up your ground beef.. cook the rice (seperate pot).. add in a jar of spaghetti sauce (with ground beef when fully cooked) then take your empty spaghetti sauce jar and dump in the tomato paste.. fill all the way up with water and shake the hell out of it until completely mixed, then dump that in with the beef, then just make sure the rice is done, mix it in with the rest and... VOILA!!

Progress
05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Me being an Italian I think I'd be committing some sort of heinous blasphemy if I mixed pasta sauce with rice. Meh, maybe I'll give it a shot.

crazyskater52
07-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Thats picadillo, my family's Cuban, we have it all the time, mmm, add olive oil, onions, tomato, salt, and green pepper.

method115
07-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Thats picadillo, my family's Cuban, we have it all the time, mmm, add olive oil, onions, tomato, salt, and green pepper.

hell yea I'm dominican my moms the **** at making it everytime she comes down I tell her to make it.

crazyskater52
07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
lol yeah it is damn good

Paladyr
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
made it tonight, pretty good, although it's kind of tough figuring out exactly how many calories/fat/prot/carbs i ate :-P.

I used onions and green peppers, love it!

tdotteg
07-20-2006, 12:17 PM
I make my picadillo with small diced potatoes and sweet peppers and i use lean ground chicken instead of beef mmmmm..

Paladyr
07-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I make my picadillo with small diced potatoes and sweet peppers and i use lean ground chicken instead of beef mmmmm..

Yea i think I'm going to try ground chicken next time, just b/c I don't need all this sat. fat.

Does every supermarket have that?

Stray
07-20-2006, 11:31 PM
made it tonight, pretty good, although it's kind of tough figuring out exactly how many calories/fat/prot/carbs i ate :-P.

You could probably add them all up in a lump sum in the beginning and divide it up based on how many servings it made.

Well for next time anyways.

bics56
07-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Ok I am buying this stuff prob 2night....so this stuff better be good!!!! Sure sounds like it is

Skinny_DiezeL
08-01-2006, 11:42 AM
ok, i got all the ingredients but the tomato paste, is it absolutely necessary? lol, completely missed it.. :redface:

Paladyr
08-01-2006, 03:08 PM
ok, i got all the ingredients but the tomato paste, is it absolutely necessary? lol, completely missed it.. :redface:

hahahahahahahaha

I don't think that will taste very good. I used prego.

Skinny_DiezeL
08-01-2006, 08:06 PM
hahahahahahahaha

I don't think that will taste very good. I used prego.

lol, so I'm assuming its for flavor then? :scratch:

KingWilder
08-02-2006, 05:53 AM
I don't really eat brown rice anymore...but butter, salt, and pepper is all I'd need

My roommate is peurto rican and I've had this dish at his grandma's before...also try stuffed peppers with that as a filler...good stuff

Skinny_DiezeL
08-10-2006, 05:51 PM
i finally got around to making it, and it's good stuff. glad i liked it, cause i used the servings suggested, and it does look like enough for a week...:p

Coqui
08-11-2006, 08:16 AM

I was about to say this was very close to Spanish Rice.

(Puerto Rican here)

bics56
08-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Just made a batch...used groundmeat, brown rice, italian diced tom., pasta sauce, basil, and garlic powder

Turned out pretty good...I am a fan,,,awsome to just heat up when you don't feel like cooking

tigo
08-23-2006, 05:42 AM
if you want to count the calories, try cooking the beef, rice and spaghetti sauce seperately

mix the tomato paste + water with the spaghetti sauce, then when you want to eat it, heat up a skillet and measure out how much of each you want. should be a bit more accurate than mixing and divi-ing it up