PDA

View Full Version : Execution

Paul Stagg
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Some say it's all in the planning, others in the execution.

I'm living proof that execution is a requirement. If it were all planning, I'd squat 750.

I'm starting back to the gym, though, as it's been 8 weeks or so since I've trained regularly because of the new house. I need to get back on track for my mental and physical well being. As usual, I have a plan. I've included some basic nutrition stuff, as well as some lifestyle things I need to get under control. I'm also going to get back to posting updates daily. I think not having a training journal here has resulted in my being a little out of touch with our members.

Long term, I'd like to get in a meet by the end of the year.

Training (Weeks 1-3)
Conditioning
Cardio 4 times a week (use treadmill at home)
Train @ gym 4 days
2 Lower
Monday – RE Squat (Squat, front squat, SLDL, low back, abs, calves)
Friday – RE Dead (Deadlift, Good Morning, Traps, low back, abs, grip)
2 Upper
Wednesday – RE Bench (Bench, OH Press, Row, pressdowns, curls)
Sunday – RE DB Bench (Db Bench, Close grips, Chin, lat raise, cuff stuff)

Mobility
Dynamic warmup each workout
Stretch after each workout, and after any extra workout

Hypertrophy
Use RE work – reps 8-12
3-5 sets
Shoot for short rests.

Form
Bench, squat, dead each week.

Training (Weeks 3-6)
Conditioning
Cardio 4x per week
Increase volume

Speed/Strength
Go back to standard conjugated periodization template
Train 4x every week

Mobility
See Above

Nutrition:
Stop eating out
5 veggies per day
2 fruits per day
250g protein per day
STOP ice cream, sugar sodas, pizza, chips, etc.

Lifestyle:
NO Tobacco.
Limit alcohol
Get 7 hours sleep each night
Stop spending money

First lower body session is this afternoon.

KevinStarke
05-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Sounds good man lookin forward to seeing your progress. Seeing your nutrition changes I too could use some more fruits and veggies in my diet.

Anthony
05-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Sounds good Paul! Consistency > Perfection.

getfit
05-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Good luck with your plan Paul!

Sensei
05-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Looks like a plan! Stick with it!

-TIM-
05-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Good luck Paul.

Do you have an idea of where you hope to have your lifts at, if you do get into a meet at the end of the year? Or are you going to wait until then and see what happens?

Paul Stagg
05-02-2006, 05:37 AM
My first test is going to be to get to 5x315x5 for the squat and dead. That will tell me I'm back to a reasonable level of strenght and conditioning, and at that point I'll evaluate everything and go from there.

It might take 2 weeks, or it might take 12.

My meet goal would be to 1) get in a meet, 2) get a total, and 3) set PRs (which isn't a stretch). I'd like to total USAPL Class II (assuming I do a USAPL meet), but that's secondary.

Paul Stagg
05-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Warmup: 5 mins elliptical, duck unders, prisoner squats

Squat
45x10
95x10
135x5
185x5
225x5

Felt OK, my hamstrings are really tight.

Hypers
4x12

Bench situps
4x12

Lots of stretching

Worklout time: <30 minutes

Start out slow and steady - get back in the habit, don't overdo it yet.

Nutrition and lifestule goals not met.

Clifford Gillmore
05-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Nice little session to start with, It'll be cool to see you place well in meets!

-TIM-
05-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Nutrition and lifestule goals not met.You'll get there.

I'm with Risk, looking forward to the meet results.

cphafner
05-02-2006, 09:00 PM
looking forward to seeing some records broken.

HILL
05-03-2006, 03:25 AM
training program looks good and it always feels good to get back into it after time off i think

Paul Stagg
05-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Training:
Off. Was going to hit the treadmill, but I had a bunch of stuff to do when I got home.

Nutrition:

Lifestyle:
Got 7 hours sleep, had to drive to Philly and work up there during the day, then get some stuff done when I got home. No tobacco, though, which was tough with all the driving.

JustinASU
05-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Paul:

I get the idea that you've competed in the past? Do you remember your best meet lifts? Just curious.

KevinStarke
05-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Strong squatting man, gotta love that hammy stretch.

-TIM-
05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Training:
Off. Was going to hit the treadmill, but I had a bunch of stuff to do when I got home.Ahh, already starting with the excuses tuttut

:p

Paul Stagg
05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
The meet was Dec of 02, I squatted 331 (missed 385 because I came up too fast and took a step to keep from falling over, and got buried by 407)

Bench was 287

Dead was 397.

Total 1015

Went 7 for 9 because of the squats, and learned a bunch (mostly to eat and to have someone help me wrap my knees.) I didn't wear a suit or bench shirt.

Tim - the reason I'm doing this is so you guys keep me honest, and you should. It was an excuse.

Progress
05-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Curious to see how this journal develops. Good luck with your progress, attaining your goals and keeping your diet and lifestyle strict. Remember not to give into those little short lasting temptations as their after effects tend to last much longer.

Just trying to keep you honest. Good luck!

drew
05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Nice plan, good work thus far. Now go get it done.

Chris Rodgers
05-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Who's this old bastard??? :)

Good to see you starting up a journal. I remember you always had very good training ideas and plans. Now, like you said it's time to execute. Caffeine is the Strength Trainer's #1 lifting partner. SO load up and go balls to the wall in a few weeks when you start going heavy. Every work set is a battle. Make sure you win or keep pushing til your arms fall off.

PS- USAPL is crap. Go APF. ;) (yes I am biased)

Good luck with it and most important have fun with it.

DGabe24
05-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Seems like you are very well prepared for some great results Paul. Best of luck, and I'll be stopping in to post ever so often. Good luck!

ericg
05-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Glad you have a journal up! Looking forward to the posts.

Paul Stagg
05-05-2006, 06:21 AM
5/3 - Woke up to a flat tire (excuse #1). Had to work late, then go get tire patched, which turned into tires replaced.(excuse #2) Fleet car = good. Left tire place at 6:30 for 30 minute ride home, walk the dog, eat something, and go to the gym. Got to on ramp to get on I95. Sat. (Excuse #3) Got home at 7:45. Ate, took dog for long walk (cardio, at least).

5/4 - Had to move furniture into my new house via crane. Ended up training at home - did 15 mins on the treadmill, and parts of the parisi warmup video, then some GC bench and band pressdowns. Didn't write down any of it, but trained for about 45 minutes or so. Kinda fun.

Chris - the APF is not active in Maryland, but they are now in Delaware. If they have a meet later in the year, I'll consider it. (Although I've not been impressed with the higher lever APF judging of late)

-TIM-
05-05-2006, 07:16 AM
5/4 - Had to move furniture into my new house via crane. Ended up training at home - did 15 mins on the treadmill, and parts of the parisi warmup video, then some GC bench and band pressdowns. Didn't write down any of it, but trained for about 45 minutes or so. Kinda fun.That's more than I would have done if I couldn't make it into the gym. I'm a lazy fool though.

Is the new house done, or are you putting the finishing touches on it?

Paul Stagg
05-05-2006, 07:24 AM
It's getting there. It's new construction, and we settled and moved in with a couple of pretty big things and a lot of small things undone.

My wife bought two pieces of furniture that would not fit up the stairs. I was trying to find someone who would hoist one of them to the deck of a house at the end of the row, walk it to my house over the decks (3 houses), then in the back door from the deck. The other one had to be lifted to a thrid floor balcony.

The builder is putting up 4 more houses around the corner, and they have a crane. She talked to the crane guy, found out when he would be back, and we called a guy someone she works with knows who does this sort of thing. We had the crane pick up each piece of furniture, one came in through a window in the living room, the other went up to the balcony and through the French doors. The furniture will never leave the house.

Fun times.

-TIM-
05-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Sounds like fun times. So is there a weight room in this new mansion of yours?

bill
05-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Paul theres some meets in virginia coming up soon.

-TIM-
05-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey Paul, where the hell are the workouts man? Don't make us hunt your ass down. :soapbox:

Paul Stagg
05-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Meh.

This was not the time to start this.

I'm training today. Updates forthcoming.

Progress
05-15-2006, 06:50 AM
Meh.

This was not the time to start this.

I'm training today. Updates forthcoming.

Wait, I always thought the time to start was "now." Isn't that what the inspirational quotes say?

Paul Stagg
05-18-2006, 06:11 AM
After a bit of a stuttered start, I present... A WORKOUT

Warmup - 5 mins elliptical, lower back stretching

Bench press
2x20 @ 45
95x15
135x10
185x5
3x3 @ 225
Weak.

Hammer Row
90x12
2x6 @ 180

Single arm pullovers
2x10 @ 15

Barbell cuban press
2x10 @ 45

Pushups
2x10

Workout time: 5:45 - 6:20

Training notes: Felt pretty good, good pace. Winded at end.

Nutrition: Not bad. I actually ate some vegatables, and I didn't buy lunch.

Progress
05-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Nice, fast, work. Something makes me think the reps and weight on BP are going to shoot up pretty quickly. What is a cuban press? I'm sure if felt good not going out for lunch ... at least when the meal was over.

drew
05-18-2006, 07:07 AM
Nice to see a workout in here. Looking good Paul.

KevinStarke
05-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Strong workout Paul nice benching.

-TIM-
05-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Good to see you hitting the weights Paul. It's hard to gear back up and get rolling after a bit of a break. A few weeks in and you'll feel like you never missed a beat.

Nice session yesterday. Keep'em comin'.

Rex
05-18-2006, 02:29 PM
You were pretty influential on me when I first started training. A couple of the regulars (since gone to who knows where) had some of your quotes in their signatures. Primarily things about eating. Seeing those quotes three, four times a day really helped get the point across. It helped me understand how I needed to eat in order to gain weight. I attribute alot of my progress to your advice. I just thought you might want to know that.

Good luck with your training. You know what to do.

Paul Stagg
05-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks Rex.

Reading that makes my day. Lifting has given me an awful lot, and I approach it the way John McCallum talked about in KTP... I owe it to those who helped me to spend time helping others. I also owe it to the Iron Game.

So now you owe it to me to spend some time helping someone else. :)

I know I need to stay with it.

Rex
05-18-2006, 06:19 PM
No Paul. Thank you!

And that concludes todays love fest :)

Paul Stagg
05-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Warmup - 5 mins elliptical

Deadlift
135x8
185x8
225x5
275x5,5

Pretty easy.

Hypers: 3x10
Situps 3x12

Lots of stretching

Workout time 6:05 - 6:40

Diet habits have been quite good this week.

Gutz981
05-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Strong deads man. Glad to hear your keeping the diet down pat.

Rex
05-21-2006, 10:46 PM
There's nothing I can say that you don't already know, but I'm rooting for you bro. Nice lifting, keep doing it.

HILL
05-22-2006, 01:29 AM
workouts looking good

Paul Stagg
05-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Quick update -

This week is again pretty nuts - just **** coming up that was unexpected. I was going to train tonight, but I've got a bunch of work stuff and house stuff to get done. I was at the benz dealership for service until 1pm, then just had too much work stuff get in the way (dammit). Tomorrow I'm meeting people at my house to sell some furniture - The jag goes in tomorrow morning - they have wireless internet, so at least I can work while I'm there. If I get out of there in time, I'll train. If not, we'll go for Wednesday.

I do see light at the end of the tunnel, so it's all good. I am sticking to good dietary habits, and trying to get on the treadmill at least, and I walk the dog. :)

Of course, there is the possibility of a strike happening on June 1 that would effect me, I would have to travel for an undetermined amount of time. The good thing is that I would be on Long Island. I think I know someone who might train there.