PDA

View Full Version : 10 mile run

accuFLEX
05-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Im going to be doing a 10 mile run in 82 days http://www.nlaa.ca/tely10/ and would like some help.

As of now, Iíve cut back on the number of workout days I have from 4 to 3. I now run 3 times a week, with one day off. Iíve also started to do more light weight high rep workouts (8 - 10 reps) since I am a golfer and donít want to pull anything (lower reps and heavier sets make me more sore, and increase the risk of injury)

So my question is to all you runners, what do I do to get into shape? Im currently running around 7-8 km on my ďrunningĒ days, although my race is 10 miles (16km, and for the sake of the rest of this, im going to use km).

What are some realistic goals for the next few weeks? Add a km a week? Or run my 8km and add 4km every 3 or 4 weeks.

As you can see, im a complete noob at running and need your help

MixmasterNash
05-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Aim for one long run a week, slowly ramping up from the current 7-8km by adding one km per week or 10 days. So, after about 60 days, your long run will be the race distance. Taper for a week or two before the race to fully recover.

For your other two running days, don't just do long slow distance. Run intervals, farleks, track work, tempo runs, etc. Look up this stuff on Runners World.

Budget a solid no running, rest week right in the middle of your training. 82 days is plenty of time to get in good shape for this distance, given your current abilities.

Jinkies
05-02-2006, 12:39 PM
With the time you have it should be no problem to complete a 10 mile run. The key is to finding a nice pace because if you are going to fast you will tire yourself out, alot of running will be your best but some HIIT might be good for getting your heart ready

accuFLEX
05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks...im going to check out runners world now.

This is not ment to brag, but my heart rate is fine after a 8 km run. I mean, its pounding, but im able to talk or whatever. What I have a problem with is my legs!

I find they get much more tired then anything else. If my legs could keep up with my heart, I would be in good shape.

Also, I find that running down hill (a slight decline) is very easy for me. I could run like that forever. Yet, if I have to run up hill, my heart and legs start to really fatigue quick.

Should I start running like 2km up hill, walk down and do that say 3 times?

Bam
05-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Take very deep breaths while running long distance it will help your lungs a lot. I would definatley try to run atleast 2 miles twice or three times a week for the first few weeks and bump it up. If i was ever going to run 10 miles and had 82 days to prepare i would also recommend running a 10 mile run before your race.

You can physically run 10 miles if your skinny and in shape its all mental.