PDA

View Full Version : Creatine: good or bad?

Ron Burgundy
05-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering what is good about creatine, how much should I take, and lastly is it naturaly produced in your body, and how much is produced?
Thanks

TheGimp
05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
1/ In simple terms: helps you squeeze out a few extra reps during your workouts

2/ 5g a day

3/ Not really sure, we mainly get it through our diets by eating meat.

Ron Burgundy
05-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks, TheGimp, but it's kinda important that I know if it is produced in my body, because my parnets wont alow me to take it unless it is.

TheGimp
05-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Ok the important thing as far as convincing your parents is it's present in meat. You eat meat right? There should be a decent couple of grams in a steak.

Ron Burgundy
05-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Ah, so a steak is equal to about 5g, which is about daily value.

Jordanbcool
05-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Ah, so a steak is equal to about 5g, which is about daily value.

One pound has about 3g in it not 5g. And a pound is alot of meat at one sitting.

-jordan

EDIT: There are about 2g of creatine per pound not 3g as I stated earlier. Sorry for the confusion.

Holto
05-02-2006, 04:50 PM
It's produced in the liver and the kidneys.

DGabe24
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes, tell them it is naturally produced in the body and there is a substantial amount of scientific research and studies done on the consumption of creatine. It is one of the two most beneifical and safe supplements you can take as a body builder, and the other being whey protein.

Ron Burgundy
05-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I herd from someone that you have to take a month off ever other month when taking creatine, is that true?

Jordanbcool
05-02-2006, 07:53 PM
I herd from someone that you have to take a month off ever other month when taking creatine, is that true?

No. Just dont take excessive amounts and you'll be fine.

-jordan

Ron Burgundy
05-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Oh, I guess thats a myth then becuase I have herd it from more then one person.

JaCelica2k
05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
it is a myth.

Ron Burgundy
05-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Okay thanks.

motoko013
05-03-2006, 05:40 PM
your body produces about a gram of creatine a day......studied it for my bio paper

DGabe24
05-03-2006, 08:59 PM
You'll find as you go, that there have been numerous myths created about creatine. :bang: Just remember that they are myths.

LiFtHaTiRoN
05-03-2006, 10:04 PM
for explosive movements your bodys first source of energy is creatine. We do make small amounts of creatine in our bodies, but the main source of our creatine comes from red meat. Basically creatine donates its phosphate to ADP creating ATp which is energy, allowing you to pump out a few reps. For creatine their is a loading phase, but if you are just using a cheap creatine monohydrate you can skip the loading phase and just take a maintenance dose of 5g per day. Drink atleast a gallon of water a day when taking creatine, because of another property that creatine has. Creatine helps with water retention. Whan a muscle has more water in it it is in a more anabolic state, stimulating muscle growth. Hope this helps

LiFtHaTiRoN
05-03-2006, 10:11 PM
One pound has about 3g in it not 5g. And a pound is alot of meat at one sitting.

-jordan

Their is 4.5g of creatine in one Kilogram which is about 35 oz. Herring ahs 7g creatine per kilogram. Source-Google

IHaveToCrushYou
05-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Sure creatine helps increase strength and has been found to be good for the skin but I don't like it because of the fact that it increases the amount of water in you rmuscles making them *look* big. This results in a bloated look and I have heard from too many people that if you stop using creatine your muscles go back to being tiny after a very short period of time. Why not just naturally get big?

Slim Schaedle
05-03-2006, 11:00 PM
for explosive movements your bodys first source of energy is creatine. We do make small amounts of creatine in our bodies, but the main source of our creatine comes from red meat. Basically creatine donates its phosphate to ADP creating ATp which is energy, allowing you to pump out a few reps. For creatine their is a loading phase, but if you are just using a cheap creatine monohydrate you can skip the loading phase and just take a maintenance dose of 5g per day. Drink atleast a gallon of water a day when taking creatine, because of another property that creatine has. Creatine helps with water retention. Whan a muscle has more water in it it is in a more anabolic state, stimulating muscle growth. Hope this helps
Some of this is false.

Where did you get it?

I will get back to this later b/c I don't feel like going into creatine conversion to phosphocreatine and a bnuch of other stuff right now. I need sleep.

Let me know though.

Let

Slim Schaedle
05-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Sure creatine helps increase strength and has been found to be good for the skin but I don't like it because of the fact that it increases the amount of water in you rmuscles making them *look* big. This results in a bloated look and I have heard from too many people that if you stop using creatine your muscles go back to being tiny after a very short period of time. Why not just naturally get big?
Do you realize how much of your muscle is water as it is?

Jordanbcool
05-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Do you realize how much of your muscle is water as it is?

What really made me laugh was the fact that he said "naturally".

-jordan

ddegroff
05-04-2006, 01:29 PM

The only source of energy that the body can use is ATP. It uses it first, Creatine Phosphate (stored in muscle) gives up the phosphate to the ADP to get ATP again.

You don't need to load creatine, period. Using your logic, I would think cheap mono you would need to load and expensive mono you wouldn't. BUT of course you don't need to load.