PDA

View Full Version : Military Training

Fatness
05-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Alright, currently I have decided I want to go through the Navy and become a Navy Seal....Now to do this I am going to have to lose a lot of weight gain a sizeable amount of muscle and get into ridiculous physical shape. I have been looking for the WBB#1 post and havent found it(even through searching) and decided to ask for some expert advice and maybe someone to link me some specific posts that would be good for what Im going to need to become a seal. Ive searched for everything I could need and am either a moron at searching or something. Anyways, first off I need to be able to swim incredibly long distances I dont know if anyone knows anything about swimming but I was hoping someone did. Next I need to be able to do 80 pushups in 2 minutes and 80 situps in 2 minutes. I also need to be able to do 10 pullups dead hang. Running is obvious but I know to enhance my running ability all I need to do is run a lot. I plan to start doing some intense training of my own such as carrying large amounts of weight on my back while scaling mountains, going to the gym regularly and losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time. I know you guys are very strict on making posts without searching and stuff so Im sorry I posted this basic stuff but I really need this expert advice because being a SEAL is the only thing that means anything to me right now. Please and thank you :bow: .

MixmasterNash
05-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Do some Marines PT for a few weeks to decide if you really like pain.

Sensei
05-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Anyways, first off I need to be able to swim incredibly long distances I dont know if anyone knows anything about swimming but I was hoping someone did.
I know very little about being a SEAL, but I know a lot about swimming. I'm not sure what kind of swimming tasks you will have to perform, but learn how to swim and practice, practice, practice. I realize that this might not be the most practical advice, but if you have more specific questions about swimming technique or training it would be easier to comment.

Slim Schaedle
05-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Don't bother trying to gain muscle...you will lose all of it unless you are pretty built naturally.

Just concentrate soley on what you need to do.

cirrusly_fast
05-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm former army and I can tell you from some experience and what I've heard about special operations training. You will be running everywhere you go, and 180 paces per minute (very slow). For seal training, start making friends with water. swim until you can't swim anymore, then swim some more. That's what they'll make you did so train for that. pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, run far alot. do sprints alot. learn to tolerate pain.

Bikkstah
05-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Do 4 sets of 30-40 push-ups/sit-ups every 2 days and try to time yourself and max every week (say on sunday) to mark progress. Run by running, swim by swimming. Familiarize yourself with the overhead arm clap, the military press, the flutter kick, the iron cross, the DIVE BOMBER HOOAH (lol), the 8-count crunch...etc. Learn to eat chow quickly and that chit chat is useless. Drink water.

poserpilotdave
05-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Im regular Army, and my advice to you is do pushups. Seriously, do a ton of pushups. You need to be great at pushups, situps (not crunches, DO SITUPS) and running. You will need to be able to ruckmarch like a champ. Buy a military ruck from a surplus store, load it up with about 35 pounds (dont go heavier at first, 35 pounds is a lot to ruck if you arent used to it), and start walking. Use various terrain, roads, trails, hills, flat ground. When you get to the point where you can do 12 miles in less than three hours, you are doing good. You want to be able to do 20 miles though. Learn to be miserable. Cold, wet, hungry, aching, all of the above. And dont worry about gaining mass, I know guys in Army SF, and most of them are athletic but by no means big. I mean like 5'9" and 150. You just need to be in phenomenal shape, and I cant stress that enough. My advice to you would be join the Army or the Marines, as a grunt, and do it for a few years. If you still want to go for SEALS after that, do it. You will be better prepared and at least you will have had a taste of the military lifestyle. I just dont think a civilian should just try to jump into SEALS, but thats just my opinion. Whatever you do, make sure you research the sh*t out of it. Hope this helped some.

BigRic
05-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Are you sure you understand what it takes to be a seal?

JBrehm
05-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Crossfit plus the 15-16 week pushup/situp/pull up/dip, running, swimming routine will get you into great shape. I'll try to get the bodyweight routine to you soon.

hoser813
05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
i was reading up on seal training online and there was a site that had a real good routine for preparing you for hell week. It had a ton of running, ton of swimming, and a ton of everything else. Ive wanted to be a seal ever since I saw the documentaries on Discovery Channel and I know I can push myself through it, but the only thing holding me back is the commitment it takes to stay in. I cant see myself devoting my life to the military at this point in my life.

Absolute
05-07-2006, 08:55 PM
To reiterate, basically do push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, dips, sprints, and swimming until you can't anymore. Forget about your physique, because that's not what's important in being the special forces. You won't need a cutting phase by the time you become a SEAL.

Being physically tough is definitely a part of being a SEAL. Once you break that barrier, there lies a greater challenge than that: becoming mentally tough. That's what makes a SEAL.

I second the comment on going Army or Marines first. I would go Marines, since their basic is a lot tougher than Army.

David
05-07-2006, 09:39 PM
What? You want to spend all this time gaining muscle BEFORE going to boot camp?

Dude, I lost 60 pounds (muscle and fat) in navy bootcamp. But you probably won't listen anyways. So go ahead and do WBB 1.

Just some advice - spend time runnning. And that's it. You'll do a lot of that. Navy workouts are a joke. You'll do pushups and situps (not crunches, situps).

David
05-07-2006, 09:41 PM
I should also point out that the weight loss was not due to the *hard* navy workouts but do to sleeping 4-6 hours a night and eating 3 low protein, low carb meals for 12 weeks while being very sick.

HahnB
05-08-2006, 07:16 AM
I had a friend who's cousin started seal training but dropped out, as do most. I saw a history channel special on the training they go through to become a seal. A lot of it is mental, with-standing extremely cold water that takes your breath away. They make you sit in it so half your body is exposed to the wind to make it even worse. I'm not saying that every seal looks like ronnie coleman, but it would make sense that most of the people that meet the requirements are probably in pretty good shape naturally. Swim with gear on your back because you can bet you'll be doing that quite a bit.

Bob
05-08-2006, 07:45 AM
I have a number of friends in various special forces. Surviving the boot camps/hell weeks/etc.. is incredible when they described them.. and that was 15-20 yrs ago. but it is a lifestyle that usually you stick with if you make it though the initial training.

One of my friends was able to keep his "size" going though.. by cheating. Since the meals are crap and his father had been though the same experience before.. he basically stuffed his duffel bag with food... high protein food. this was b4 our supplements today, so it was beef jerky and peanut butter and a bottle of honey. His father was ahead of his time.

I think the exercise program has been mentioned above.. run,swim,bdoyweight exercises,carry heavy loads.... and then do it again... and again... and again. Then rest now.. get as much sleep as you can now.. b/c you are not going to get it during training.