PDA

View Full Version : Hamburger

AlexAllen
05-03-2006, 06:25 PM
I am thinking of replacing my lunchtime chicken breast sandwiches with a mixture of ground beef and refried black beans with some mexican seasonings for a little while. Would this be good for a fairly clean bulk diet?
I would think so, but the whole fast-food hamburger reputation got me wondering. Why are their burgers so high in fat and other nasty things? (even without extra sauces, etc.) Just wanted to confirm that lean ground beef when drained properly is not too bad for you.

Also...how long do you let cooked meats sit in the fridge before they start to go bad? Something like what I described above, or my sliced chicken breasts that I put in baggies. I season everything enough that it can be hard to tell.

Thanks for the help!

kad
05-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Lean ground beef and beans would be fine for a meal. Can't say much about the fast food, I only eat it for cheat meals. I don't keep any meat in the fridge for longer than a week.

drew
05-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Sounds good. Put it in some tupperware. Should stay good for at least 5-7 days, depending on how cold your fridge is.

TechMetalMan
05-04-2006, 07:46 AM
You can also look into ground turkey meat- very lean and packed with protein. Be aware that it does taste quite a bit different to me (and i'm not a fan of it).

My favourite though is bison meat- once again- very lean and protein filled. It tastes a *little* bit different but not too much to me.

HILL
05-04-2006, 08:27 AM
dnt worry about it as long as it fits into your daily cals -micros etc your good to go really. people i think focus on how certain this are bad for you far to much. as long as its fitting into your totals for that day you are good to go

ddegroff
05-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Ground beef is great! That sounds good (blk beans/gr beef) might have to try it out. It should keep for about a week and if your bulking you should go through it pretty quick. I don't think ground turkey or bison really tastes that different especially if you throw a bunch of spices on it.

Manveet
05-04-2006, 05:40 PM
fast-food hamburger meat is not made with strictly lean beef. Although I could be wrong.

AlexAllen
05-04-2006, 05:53 PM
I had some of the filling for the enchiladas we made last night as my lunch today. Ground beef, refried black beans, and Mexican seasonings all mixed together. It was really nice to have a warm lunch instead of my normal chicken sandwiches for a change. I might throw some jalapenos and sour cream on top next time.

Ricochet_kid
05-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Why the heck put it in the fridge. I usually buy two big family packs of 'extra lean ground beef' at a time. Cook them with some vegetables, ie: onions, celery, corn, carrots, .. whatever I have. Sometimes I put a can of chick peas in there. Or some chipotle peppers. Sometimes some vinegar. spices...

I also make a big batch of rice and then assemble like 15+ "lunches" at a time. I have a large part of the counter filled. In each one, I put 1 cup of rice, and 1 cup of the beef mixture. Then I throw them all in the freezer

Measuring this way makes it easy to keep track of in fitday.

Don't bother putting them in the fridge. Put them in the freezer. I use those 2.5 cup ziploc lunch containers.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that you only have to make them once and then you have lunches for 2-3 weeks.
You can do this with lots of stuff too, rice freezes well, so does pasta, chili, etc...