PDA

View Full Version : whos got information about PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) i think..

wannabeabigboy
05-03-2006, 08:16 PM
whose got info on PSMF?

i tried searching and came up with nothing. theres a thread about it in the Atlarge forum about a guy who had good success drinking 6-7 nitrean shakes a day combined with proper EFAs, multi-vitamin, and fiber pills w/ refeeds as needed.

Jordanbcool
05-03-2006, 08:46 PM
whose got info on PSMF?

i tried searching and came up with nothing. theres a thread about it in the Atlarge forum about a guy who had good success drinking 6-7 nitrean shakes a day combined with proper EFAs, multi-vitamin, and fiber pills w/ refeeds as needed.

Please try to use the search again. I know you've tried it but try searching for the title or something because there was a thread about this just 2 weeks ago.

Also if your new to cutting or PSMF I would NOT try it. It should only be done by a very expirenced person. Not saying that your not but you should just really consider all other options.

-jordan

wannabeabigboy
05-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Please try to use the search again. I know you've tried it but try searching for the title or something because there was a thread about this just 2 weeks ago.

Also if your new to cutting or PSMF I would NOT try it. It should only be done by a very expirenced person. Not saying that your not but you should just really consider all other options.

-jordan

i tried searching everything. i am only familiar with the thread in the atlarge forum.

i am also not new to cutting, i have cut before using the ol' standard maintenance calories with good ol' cardio. guess what, i lost LBM.

i wouldn't call myself an experienced person, but i think i understand the basic principle of the diet. i'm looking for those of you who have tried the diet to voice your opinion.

i also go to school and work full time, and its very difficult for me to have healthy premade meals for cutting. by only eating protein shakes and supplements, i think it will really be a convienent diet for me asides from the natural cravings of solid food.

I do know the reason that your concern is the fact that most people get on this diet, believing its a shortcut in cutting, but then end up gaining the weight due to gorging on food when transitioning back to solid food. i'd like to think of myself as a very strong willed person with a very determined mentality, i dont believe i'll have this problem. the weekly or monthly (not quite sure on this) refeeds should help to keep my sanity as well.

Sidior
05-03-2006, 09:09 PM
I just searched psmf here are the results...there are a few very helpful threads.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/search.php?searchid=689682

wannabeabigboy
05-03-2006, 09:17 PM
damn, thank you

TheGimp
05-04-2006, 01:27 AM
You should be able to find more info on it at Lyle McD's forums - www.bodyrecomposition.com

JustLost
05-04-2006, 07:26 AM
i wouldn't call myself an experienced person, but i think i understand the basic principle of the diet. i'm looking for those of you who have tried the diet to voice your opinion.

i also go to school and work full time, and its very difficult for me to have healthy premade meals for cutting. by only eating protein shakes and supplements, i think it will really be a convienent diet for me asides from the natural cravings of solid food.

I've done a PSMF, and it's got its good points and bad points. Weight loss is fast, and if you do everything just right, you can retain most of your muscle mass -- at least if you're pretty fat to start with. But it's murder on the energy levels -- and that's especially important for someone with as full a schedule as you have.

If you want to give it a try, I'd STRONGLY suggest you go to bodyrecomposition.com and get Lyle McDonald's PSMF book - "The Rapid Fatloss Handbook". It's well worth the money.

I'll give you a tiny preview, though:

1. In the introduction, he says that a PSMF is rarely the best option; he suggests a moderate, balanaced, slightly hypocaloric diet in most cases.

2. He stresses the importance of real food rather than protein shakes. Part of the point and the structure of the diet is to develop better eating habits.

How much fat are you wanting to lose, and what's your BF % now?

Jordanbcool
05-04-2006, 08:15 AM
I've done a PSMF, and it's got its good points and bad points. Weight loss is fast, and if you do everything just right, you can retain most of your muscle mass -- at least if you're pretty fat to start with. But it's murder on the energy levels -- and that's especially important for someone with as full a schedule as you have.

If you want to give it a try, I'd STRONGLY suggest you go to bodyrecomposition.com and get Lyle McDonald's PSMF book - "The Rapid Fatloss Handbook". It's well worth the money.

I'll give you a tiny preview, though:

1. In the introduction, he says that a PSMF is rarely the best option; he suggests a moderate, balanaced, slightly hypocaloric diet in most cases.

2. He stresses the importance of real food rather than protein shakes. Part of the point and the structure of the diet is to develop better eating habits.

How much fat are you wanting to lose, and what's your BF % now?

Totally agree with this statement. However i've considered buying the book and finishing out my cut with a PSMF. Does anyone see any problems with this? Right now I have about 3-4% (cant make up my mind if I actually want to get down to 9% or not) to lose in about a month. It also may even be less then that but i'd like to cover my butt as much as possible. With my weight (190) I think that translates into 6-8 pounds? Something like that. The math is simple but my brain hurts from college finals so i'd rather not even THINK about anything other then 2+2. With the calories im taking now i should be losing about 2 pounds of fat each week. I'm having problems with my scale weight however and i'd like to get a BF% done ASAP. Its water weight but thats another story in its own.

Anyways whats the shortest amount of time I could drop about 6 pounds of fat on a PSMF. 2 weeks?? I'd like to see if i can just finish out my cut and reach my goal but i have doubts i'll reach it by june (which is to be at 10% minimum, 9% ideal). Let me know what you guys think. I've waited to the last possible outcome but PSMF may be the answer I need to get rid of this small but stubborn pouch hiding my abs.

Any comments would be welcomed. And i'd buy the book before attempting this BTW.

-jordan

JustLost
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
So you're around 12%? A PSMF gets harder, and the risk of lean mass loss gets higher, as you get leaner. IMO, it's only appropriate for a Real Fatass. For anybody between about 15% and 10%, I'm a big fan of the good old "Eat Less diet. ;)

Holto
05-04-2006, 09:14 AM
So you're around 12%? A PSMF gets harder, and the risk of lean mass loss gets higher, as you get leaner. IMO, it's only appropriate for a Real Fatass. For anybody between about 15% and 10%, I'm a big fan of the good old "Eat Less diet. ;)

Co-Sign.

12% is pretty low.

Below 15% you want shorter less drastic cuts offset by maintenance or clean bulks.

Jordanbcool
05-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Co-Sign.

12% is pretty low.

Below 15% you want shorter less drastic cuts offset by maintenance or clean bulks.

O ok. Well at most my BF is 13% at MOST. Why does the risk of losing LBM increase the leaner you get? From a PSMF point of veiw. I always thought it didnt matter. If you were at a lower BF% you just wouldnt have to be on a PSMF as long as someone with a higher BF%. Or does it not work like that?

-jordan

TheGimp
05-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Sounds like you'd be better off doing UD2.0 Jordan.

Jordanbcool
05-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Sounds like you'd be better off doing UD2.0 Jordan.

Come again?

TheGimp
05-04-2006, 10:25 AM
It's much more suited to dealing with stubborn body fat and dieting down to single digit %s than a PSMF.

Alternatively if you were asking what it is, get the book from Lyle's website :)

Jordanbcool
05-04-2006, 12:51 PM
It's much more suited to dealing with stubborn body fat and dieting down to single digit %s than a PSMF.

Alternatively if you were asking what it is, get the book from Lyle's website :)

O ok. Thanks for clearing that up, i'll take a look at it.

Such a beautiful day outside....:offtopic:

-jordan

D Breyer
05-04-2006, 04:45 PM
I always like to start off my cuts with a few (4-5) days of PSMF. I like the ease of drinking protein shakes, so I have about 8 scoops of Nitrean along with the EFAs. PSMF is very effective but it is also has the potential to be both dangerous and detremental to your health.

Read into it before you start anything, and keep your eye on the prize, the PSMF is not fun.

Manveet
05-04-2006, 05:28 PM
whose got info on PSMF?

Just buy the book.

Manveet
05-04-2006, 05:30 PM
O ok. Well at most my BF is 13% at MOST. Why does the risk of losing LBM increase the leaner you get? From a PSMF point of veiw. I always thought it didnt matter. If you were at a lower BF% you just wouldnt have to be on a PSMF as long as someone with a higher BF%. Or does it not work like that?

-jordan

In short, genetics.

largeandlovely
05-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I tried PSMF a month or so ago. Was a dumb idea. In the middle of track season and I'm #1 on the team, and Decide to try this. Completely killed my energy and took 5 feet off my throw by the time a meet rolled around. I was so tired all the time I could barely work out. It's definently not something to take lightly, as I did. Into the carb cycling now, which is givin' me great results. 3 lbs in 2 weeks and still goin!

D Breyer
05-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I tried PSMF a month or so ago. Was a dumb idea. In the middle of track season and I'm #1 on the team, and Decide to try this. Completely killed my energy and took 5 feet off my throw by the time a meet rolled around. I was so tired all the time I could barely work out. It's definently not something to take lightly, as I did. Into the carb cycling now, which is givin' me great results. 3 lbs in 2 weeks and still goin!
There is no way I could handle such a severe diet durring any sporting season... Carb cycling is the best of both worlds.