PDA

View Full Version : Eating after workout: Good or Bad

Nosepicker
05-04-2006, 12:11 AM
First, I hope this topic belongs here. And secondly, I did a search and came up with hundreds of threads about everything else and the last thing I was going to do is read all of them.

I get off of work around 5 pm, and once I get home, I'm back to work (side job at home). And I can't seem to find the time to eat dinner.

I don't eat breakfast but I do eat small portions throughout the day but after workouts I'm starving. So, is it good or bad to eat after workouts?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-04-2006, 12:13 AM
What's your diet like currently? Are you tracking what you eat?

Nosepicker
05-04-2006, 12:15 AM
What's your diet like currently? Are you tracking what you eat?

Built is going to kill me for saying this.....umm, no I haven't been tracking through fitday....hahaha

But I eat a lot of protein (chicken, tuna, salads, chicken, tuna, chicken...you get the picture).

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Do you track your food at all? You don't have to use FitDay. That's just a convenience.

Nosepicker
05-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Do you track your food at all? You don't have to use FitDay. That's just a convenience.

Umm...track as far as counting pro/cal/carbs? No.

So, back to topic. Is it okay or no?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-04-2006, 12:30 AM
It's generally a good idea to have a meal after a workout.

Built
05-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Built is going to kill me for saying this.....umm, no I haven't been tracking through fitday....hahaha

I won't kill you.

I just won't help you.

TheGimp
05-04-2006, 01:24 AM
I won't kill you.

I just won't help you.

Is there a difference? :)

Built
05-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Only in the speed of delivery.

;)

teck
05-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Umm...track as far as counting pro/cal/carbs? No.

So, back to topic. Is it okay or no?

i would said it is vital no?

At the end of the day you push your body real hard in your work :whip: and then you have no fuel to replenish your body to help it go

Nicoman
05-04-2006, 02:11 AM
I would say very good to eat after a workout. I do not pretend to know much but I did learn that your body goes into a catabolic state after a good workout so the sooner you eat the faster your body will repair itself and not eat away at the muscles......

Also it is very good to eat in the morning right after you wake up as your body has been in a catabloic state all night while sleeping.

I ofcourse am no expert but I did not see anyone else give you an answer :)

~Nico

teck
05-04-2006, 02:31 AM
I would say very good to eat after a workout. I do not pretend to know much but I did learn that your body goes into a catabolic state after a good workout so the sooner you eat the faster your body will repair itself and not eat away at the muscles......

Also it is very good to eat in the morning right after you wake up as your body has been in a catabloic state all night while sleeping.

~Nico

na spot on mate! think about you eat every 2-3 hours in the day,imagine going 6-10 hours without food? considering that is what you normally have for sleep. so you need to get food in your system as quick as possible.

Also im sure this topic is covered in one of the builts stickys?

Saggas
05-04-2006, 02:40 AM
do you actually feel hungry after your workout? i usually feel the opposite, im not in the mood for eating for the next hour or so.
i just down a double protein shake and go about the day.

TheGimp
05-04-2006, 03:52 AM
do you actually feel hungry after your workout? i usually feel the opposite, im not in the mood for eating for the next hour or so.
i just down a double protein shake and go about the day.

Exercise can blunt hunger. I also find it somewhat difficult to get down a protein shake and some carbs post workout but I also find that very soon after, say an hour or so, I am ravenous.

teck
05-04-2006, 06:37 AM
yea sometimes! i know what you mean, but i neck a protein shake straight away and once i start cooking i start to feel hungry!

but i think would i rather eat or lose all the work i just done at the gym? and that gets me hungry as well!;)

JaCelica2k
05-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Just my opinion, but I would say take in a protein shake right after your workout with whey and carbs (within 10 -15 minutes) and then eat a solid meal including carbs and protein and veggies 60-90 minutes after.

Nosepicker
05-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Cool! Thx guys. I've always heard how it's bad to eat after a workout or just before bed. I say just before bed because when I'm done working out it's about that time.

Slim Schaedle
05-04-2006, 09:57 AM
So, is it good or bad to eat after workouts?
Good

Manveet
05-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Eating after a workout is never a bad idea.

seK
05-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Cool! Thx guys. I've always heard how it's bad to eat after a workout or just before bed. I say just before bed because when I'm done working out it's about that time.
Honestly if you don't track your intake you won't know if its a good of bad idea.

Ricochet_kid
05-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Read this:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/windowofopportunity.htm