PDA

View Full Version : cooking onions (i suck at cooking)

PoutineEh
05-04-2006, 04:42 PM
if this is a dumb question, its because i suck in the kitchen. i am just wondering if anything happens to onions when you cook them at high temperatures. does part of it convert to sugar? just wondering because the taste changes when you cook onions imo and are more enjoyable

getfit
05-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Cooking onions slowly over medium heat brings out their sweetness and gives them a rich golden color

Ricochet_kid
05-05-2006, 07:46 AM
mmmm, I love caramelized onions.

Here is a quote from this website: http://www.ehow.com/how_12751_caramelize-onions.html

"Caramelizing onions is just cooking them so they brown deeply. It's easy to do and results in cooked onions with a dark, sweet, browned flavor. And no wonder, because you're really turning the sugars within the onion to caramel - hence the name."

I have a book about the nitty gritty science behind cooking, and in that book they say that science really doesn't have a complete understanding of all the details regarding what takes place during the caramelization of onions. This may not be useful piece of information but I thought it was interesting.

When I had my first apartment, and was still living alone, (years ago). I would caramelize a few onions and just eat them like that, a whole pan full by themselves. It was awesome.

I say you should use "butter" (not oil) to caramelize onions. Put the butter in the pan, add the onions once it's melted and then toss the whole thing around so that you get butter coated onto as many of the onions as possible. You should be cognizant of using salted or unsalted butter depending on your tastes. Some people add a bit of salt anyway to help draw the liquid out of the onions and produce a deeper, richer caramelization.

Oh, and don't play with the onions too much.
Vidalia onions are the best ones to caramelize IMHO.

teck
05-05-2006, 08:31 AM
onions rock!! im a sucker for fried onions! naughty!

a really good dish is to chop loads of onions, green red ywellow peppers, and some other veggies that take your fancy. Drizzle with a little olive oil just in a pot put put the lid on and whack it on the hob. cook on low to medium heat for about 10 min and is absolutly beautiful! it is called "sweating" lovely side dish!

PoutineEh
05-05-2006, 02:33 PM
very interesting. thanks