PDA

View Full Version : SS Cardio Speed

Hockey66
05-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I've been cutting the last few months using just diet and the occasional HIIT, but I'm now starting to incorporate some steady-state jogging for my cardiovascular health and that last bit of stubborn fat. I've been pleased that I've lost very little muscle mass and strength on the cut so far, and I'm hoping one cardio session (or two if I'm bored) per week won't change that.

Now to my question, I just jogged on our gym's treadmill at 7 mph and after 15 minutes I was absolutely wiped. I always hear about people's 45 minute or so cardio sessions and I was wondering if I should slow down the pace and go for longer, or just keep going fast. My number one goal is fat burn (and don't lecture me on diet, I have that down pat).

Built
05-04-2006, 06:07 PM
If you have diet down pat, you won't need cardio for fat loss.

I don't lean out from extended cardio. Some find it more helpful than others.

I might suggest 8-20 minutes of fast incline walking or equivalent post workout to create a small additional caloric deficit (and burn off FFAs mobilized by the lifting) but that's pretty much it.

Hockey66
05-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, I've gone from having a keg to an almost-6pack in the last 2 months, with only diet and lifting, and basically maintaining strength. Based off this, I'm assuming I have the diet thing down pat. :D I think I may just do the incline walking thing twice a week and see how it works for me, I only have about 3 weeks of cutting left then I'm on a bulk to 240.

Built
05-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Cardio seems to be very much an individual tolerance thing. Keep in mind that as you lean out, cardio chews through more and more muscle.

Hockey66
05-04-2006, 06:40 PM
I know, but now that soccer season started the fields are always occupied so I have nowhere to do HIIT, and with treadmills I can never really do a full out sprint. To tell you the truth, even without cardio the cut is going good, I just get impatient :D.

Anthony
05-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Fat loss? HIIT.
Cardio? HIIT.
Stamina? HIIT.
Lactate Threshold? HIIT.

Class dismissed.

Hockey66
05-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Where would you recommend doing it Anthony? Treadmills feel too awkward.

Anthony
05-05-2006, 03:54 AM
I agree, sprinting on a treadmill just doesn't happen. It's less productive than running on the ground anyway.

Outdoor/indoor track would be perfect (we have one at the local army base). Mountain bike works well. Jogging trails work too. Sprint from block to block, walk the next block, etc. Swim sprints. You could even do tabata squats. Lots of variations!!

Bob
05-05-2006, 11:43 AM
If you have to do some HIIT in the gym.. try the Rower, Ellipitical or bike... I personally love the looks I get when I'm sprint rowing or elliping(sp?)!! People think you are a spaz, but man after 30 secs of sprint rowing, you really are grasping for air..

Or take a look at Anthony's video in his thread where he is HIIT cycling... sweating and panting every 30-45 secs or so..

Built
05-05-2006, 11:47 AM
I disagree - I do most of my HIIT on two side-by-side treadmills. Looks funny I'm sure, but it works great! 30 seconds on each, one at a sprint, one at a fast incline walk, for 6-8 minutes in total. Finish with an 8-12 minute walk.

Bob
05-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey Built.. I didn't say Threadmills were bad... I was just giving other choices.. b/c Hockey felt ackward on them... Lots of folks can't get use to TMs, b/c they are mentally, subconciously thinking that they should be going somewhere.. b/c they have walked/run everyday of their life.. I know my wife has physically gotten motion sick on TMs..

Since there are no natural Elips, sitdown bikes and not many people have actually rowed.. your mind can more easily adjust to those motions..

Anthony
05-05-2006, 07:24 PM
It's impossible to truly sprint on a treadmill. Put your foot on a running treadmill. What happens? Now put your foot on the ground. What happens? HUGE difference. And that's only one reason why sprints will never happen on a treadmill.

ddegroff
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Now to my question, I just jogged on our gym's treadmill at 7 mph and after 15 minutes I was absolutely wiped. I always hear about people's 45 minute or so cardio sessions and I was wondering if I should slow down the pace and go for longer, or just keep going fast. My number one goal is fat burn (and don't lecture me on diet, I have that down pat).

7mph isn't really a jog in my book, maybe you were going to fast.

Built
05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
It's impossible to truly sprint on a treadmill. Put your foot on a running treadmill. What happens? I have to start moving fast instantly.

Now put your foot on the ground. What happens?
I don't have to move.

HUGE difference.
Absolutely.

And that's only one reason why sprints will never happen on a treadmill.

Okay.

Maybe not for you. They work GREAT this way for me!

Anthony
05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
It might work great in terms of helping you achieve your goals, but you're still not sprinting. I'm nitpicking here, but it's physically impossible to sprint on a treadmill. Not me, not you, not even Donovan Bailey can sprint on a treadmill.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eclEtXyPs7U&search=100m%20sprint

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5i3D-OlBU&search=100m%20sprint

If you see someone do this on a treadmill, let me know!