PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question....

phatmonky
05-04-2006, 09:00 PM
... But I have found my new favorite way to get some fat in my diet. Cashews! Man,I can't stop eating them.
Lately, I've been eating 1 cup every day. Fit day says this is 749 calories. It's 62 grams of the ~140 grams of fat I get a day.

However, fitday also tells me that the fat breakdown is :

Total Fat 62.67g
Saturated Fat 12.38g
Polyunsaturated Fat 10.6g
Monounsaturated Fat 36.94g

Is that a lot saturated fat? Or can I keep on eating them up everyday? :)

EDIT - I am taking in 3500 calories on lifting days and 3000 on my off days. So this is also 20%-25% of my entire caloric intake.

Ricochet_kid
05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
mmmmm, cashews

seK
05-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I would keep eating them, there is allot of healthy fat in there and they are also pretty calorie dense. Cashews also have some nice little bonus nutrients in them. :)
Personally I like almonds but if you enjoy them that much why not !

TheGimp
05-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Excellent fat source and calorie dense, stick with them.

Built
05-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Yep - good, healthy source of natural saturated and unsaturated fat.

Cashews rock.

Nosepicker
05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I like them too but I can't eat any nuts because I'll start to break out.

Built
05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
How, exactly, do nuts make you break out?

Nosepicker
05-05-2006, 11:44 AM

I visited my dermatologist when I started breaking out. He said that I need to stay away from coffee, seaweed, and nuts. He said some people's skins are very sensitive to the oils/caffeine in the nuts/coffee, respectively. I told him, I can do away with coffee and the nuts, but seaweed (sushi)????....I told him, "That's like telling an Asian guy not to eat RICE!"...Hahaha

Anyhow, after I stopped eating those food I stopped breaking out. And just to test whether what he said was true or not, I ate a few (I mean 4 M&Ms) and I started breaking out 2 days later.

Built
05-05-2006, 11:49 AM
That is so weird.

What do you use for fats?

Nosepicker
05-05-2006, 11:52 AM
That is so weird.

What do you use for fats?

I don't, or rather I try not to eat anything that contains a lot of fat.

You have to remember I just got into working out so I'm still new to this whole counting cal/pro/carb and fat/un.

I have so much fat, I doubt I need anymore...haha

Eszekial
05-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I visited my dermatologist when I started breaking out. He said that I need to stay away from coffee, seaweed, and nuts. He said some people's skins are very sensitive to the oils/caffeine in the nuts/coffee, respectively. I told him, I can do away with coffee and the nuts, but seaweed (sushi)????....I told him, "That's like telling an Asian guy not to eat RICE!"...Hahaha

Anyhow, after I stopped eating those food I stopped breaking out. And just to test whether what he said was true or not, I ate a few (I mean 4 M&Ms) and I started breaking out 2 days later.

My dermatologist told me that breakouts have very little (nothing) to do with food. he said it's entirely hormonal, sleep paterns, and genetics.

Blame your parents, not nuts

Built
05-05-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't, or rather I try not to eat anything that contains a lot of fat.
This is a common mistake.

You have to remember I just got into working out so I'm still new to this whole counting cal/pro/carb and fat/un.

I have so much fat, I doubt I need anymore...haha
Guess again. Fat is an essential macronutrient, and the right fats can help you achieve your physique goals.

Mmmmm fat!

TheGimp
05-05-2006, 12:06 PM
My dermatologist told me that breakouts have very little (nothing) to do with food. he said it's entirely hormonal, sleep paterns, and genetics.

And if food affects our hormones, what conclusion do we draw? :)

Nosepicker
05-05-2006, 12:09 PM

Blame your parents, not nuts

Hahahaha...that's what my dermatologist told me to watch out for--dermatologist who don't think foods are not a contributing factor. You wouldn't believe how many dermatologist I went to that said the same thing. Gave me a shot, told me to use this cream, that cream. All that stuff is B.S.

I was referred to Dr. Jeffrey Lauber by a co-worker. He told me straight up why we break out, what causes break outs, and so on. He showed me thousands of polaroid pics of his clients. He gave me a few pills and I cleared up in a matter of months. I believed in Dr. Lauber because I saw first hand how he treats his patients, and what he did for my co-worker (she was bad!!!...and now she cleared up so beautifully all the guys didn't recognize her).

Sorry for the hijack.

Built
05-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Nose, do raw nuts do this to you, or roasted?

I strongly suspect raw walnuts, pecans, almonds ... would cause you no trouble at all.

Nosepicker
05-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Nose, do raw nuts do this to you, or roasted?

I strongly suspect raw walnuts, pecans, almonds ... would cause you no trouble at all.

Believe it or not, I tested almost every nuts there are. And now that I think about it, I was raised around nuts and seaweed throughout my whole childhood which explains the constant pimples and breakouts. So, to answer your question, yes any raw, cooked, or roasted nuts have the same affect on me. And not just me, but all the clients he treated. And we're talking about thousands.

Eszekial
05-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I should also mention, that my dermetologist is a nut job, and i never went back to him again, ever.

ddegroff
05-05-2006, 05:05 PM

i was getting 90% of my daily fats from peanuts, for about 8 months. I was getting terrible breakouts on my back. I cut them out totally and bamn no more breakouts at all. No clue what it is or why i just know when i'm stuffing a bunch a peanuts down it happens. Oddly enough almonds don't have any effect on me.