PDA

View Full Version : Smoked turkey breast from supermarkets

Vsire
05-04-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't really eat much turkey but yesterday while scrolling at a supermarket decide to purchased 100g of smoked turkey breast (those which can be eaten immediately w/o cooking). The taste is great but I'm wondering are those 100% turkey meat or does it contain other artificial flavourings and fibre meat which reduces it's protein content?

Cuz I remember quite a few years back reading an article from a magazine saying that those smoked turkey breast found in supermarkets/cold storages contained only 70% real meat while the remaining are all sorta like fibre meat..

Can someone please clarify this for me? Cuz if that's not true, I'll most likely use it as one of my major source of daily protein.. It's really tasty..

Metro
05-05-2006, 09:33 PM
All the smoked turkey I used to buy at the store was processed and loaded with sodium. I've always thought the best way was to actually cook a turkey and cut the meat, but not everyone has the time to do that. Could you be eating a healthier turkey? Probably. Could you be eating a Double Cheeseburger from Mackie D's? Probably. It still has your protein, relatively lean and low cal, and does well with the taste buds. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it if your looking for quick and easy.

Will.S
05-06-2006, 01:39 AM
Just don't do it regularly. Usually its loaded up with MSG. I once made it a diet staple, and got quite ill...

McIrish
05-09-2006, 04:52 PM
You sure it'll make you sick? I've had a turkey sandwich basically every day for lunch for the past 6 months or so and I haven't gotten sick yet?

crunch101
05-10-2006, 01:52 PM
noooo, i've also been eating 2-3 turkey sandwiches a day...are you sure that's bad?

Eszekial
05-10-2006, 01:54 PM
I've never seen MSG listed as an ingrediant for turkey.

You can also get low sodium.

That being said, natural anything is always going to be the best.

I try and shop organic when i can.

alfy
05-18-2006, 04:59 PM
When you buy processed meat its nearly always full of crap, also chicken breasts are usually full of water to but if you listen to everything then youd end up eating nothing!! just chow down and dont worry about it

Ferdo
05-19-2006, 11:22 AM
I agree with alfy, try to get the meat thats cut right from the deli though, dont buy those pre packaged ones.

There are those that are probably heavily processed but if you look at the different brands you could probably find a good one.

CBrons
05-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I get sara lee low sodium from the butcher. I never buy any of the meat that's boxed. Always go get it from the butcher cause its usually fresher. Organic is better but it is also more expensive

betastas
05-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Buying bulk chicken and turkey uncooked is many times cheaper and higher in quality. If you want to eat for less, you manage to make time. We all make time for the gym, it isn't that hard to make time to cook once or twice a week.