PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifter in action

Deadlifter
05-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey guys, just thought I'd let you all know how my progress is going.

Stats

6'1 185 pounds
Squat: 350
Deadlift:350 (but I am testing again next week, expecting 365+)
Bench: 230
Power Jerk: 185 2 sets of 3 reps (expecting 200 next week)

Prior until this year, I was skinny as hell my entire life. In September of 2005 I was just under 150 pounds. I am planning to compete in strongman next year. I have also done martial arts for the majority of my life and once I get to an ideal bodyweight I'd like to resume muay thai and boxing training.

Right now I am bulking for life; ultimately I want to end up at 240. I plan to hit 200 bodyweight by the end of the summer, along with a 405 squat and dead, 260 bench, and 225 power jerk.

Davor
05-07-2006, 12:15 AM
awesome strength overall. good luck in your competition

check out these deep squats for inspiration:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233&q=squat

Clifford Gillmore
05-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Your dead seems to be a little low in comparison to the rest of your lifts, nice numbers anyway!

Deadlifter
05-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I pull sumo and always try and use decent form, so that may be the reason. I always heard that squat and deadlift numbers should be fairly similar.

Progress
05-07-2006, 09:20 AM
awesome strength overall. good luck in your competition

check out these deep squats for inspiration:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233&q=squat

Dear god! No wraps! No belt! No spotter! They forgot no cage and a rack that looked like it was going to fall over. That was nuts!

Progress
05-07-2006, 09:23 AM
I pull sumo and always try and use decent form, so that may be the reason. I always heard that squat and deadlift numbers should be fairly similar.

I pull sumo as well. I think it may vary based on individual but typically people DL more than they squat when they are lifting the numbers you are. If you can squat 350, and your grip is good, I'm guessing you can DL more than 400. I can DL mid 300s but wouldn't even imagine putting that much weight over my shoulders.

KevinStarke
05-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Solid lifts and lookin good man, that squat isnt really rock bottem though man, more like parallel.

Deadlifter
05-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Solid lifts and lookin good man, that squat isnt really rock bottem though man, more like parallel.

Heh heh. Just a figure of speech.

Who knows what I'll deadlift next week then, we'll see.

KarateBoy
05-07-2006, 11:11 AM

I think, especially the first 2 sets, its well below parallel.

KevinStarke
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I think, especially the first 2 sets, its well below parallel.

Haha, I wasnt talking about the Olympic lifter man... he's obviously crushing parallel. I was referring to the picture the OP posted of his squat which wasnt rock bottem.

Sensei
05-07-2006, 05:04 PM
No offense intended to the OP, but it's not even close to parallel.

Deadlifter
05-07-2006, 05:11 PM
No offense intended to the OP, but it's not even close to parallel.

I'm not going to lie, it wouldn't pass in a meet. But that doesn't mean it's not parallel (PL meet requires that you break parallel). There's also no way you can really tell with that angle and quality of pic. But saying that it's not even close to parallel is just plain delusional. At the worst it's 1 inch above parallel.

Sensei
05-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I know I'm going to sound like the biggest d***, but it is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PARALLEL. The photo is a pretty good angle and I'm 100% certain that all of the experienced PLers at the forums here would agree. Parallel is when the crease of the hip is level with the top of the knee.

I'm not saying you couldn't go to parallel with that weight (because I don't know you), but you did not get anywhere close with that one.

smalls
05-07-2006, 05:23 PM
I know I'm going to sound like the biggest d***, but it is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PARALLEL. The photo is a pretty good angle and I'm 100% certain that all of the experienced PLers at the forums here would agree. Parallel is when the crease of the hip is level with the top of the knee.

I'm not saying you couldn't go to parallel with that weight (because I don't know you), but you did not get anywhere close with that one.

I gotta agree. You dont have to be a powerlifter to see that. Maybe the pic was taken at the wrong time, but you position in that picture is not parallel. Still solid weight and lookin good, awesome progress thus far.

Meat_Head
05-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Its really not far from parallel at all from what I can see, another 2-3 inches maybe. Good lift either way, how are you liking the power jerks?

Canadian Crippler
05-07-2006, 06:58 PM
It isn't parallel, and those extra few inches make a BIG difference. I'm guessing that's why your squat matches your DL. Try going below parallel and you'll find a better balance in your numbers.

Keep up the good work though.

Deadlifter
05-07-2006, 07:25 PM
It isn't parallel, and those extra few inches make a BIG difference. I'm guessing that's why your squat matches your DL. Try going below parallel and you'll find a better balance in your numbers.

Keep up the good work though.

Squat matches DL because the 350 DL was a month ago. There's no way I can convince anyone that it was a legit lift, but I will tell you that it went up very very fast; I could definitely do that weight below parallel, because I train below parallel on my reps.

Power Jerks are excellent. Overhead lifts are very important to me.

Deadlifter
05-10-2006, 04:52 PM
http://media.putfile.com/press-day

Here's a video just taken today. I am very pleased. Over 225 by the end of the summer for sure!

Bohizzle
05-10-2006, 05:54 PM
big weight, but work on ur clean form before u add anymore weight on, or u will be destined for disaster.

Andrew

Anthony
05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
I agree with the above statements about the squat. It's not even close to parallel and I say that with 100% certainty. If I had to guess, I would say 4" lower and you'd be parallel.

I would spend more time practising your clean and jerk at a lower weight before trying to go heavier. Your form is ****ty and not only will it limit your numbers in the long run, but you're increasing your risk of injury.

Deadlifter
05-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I hate to be an arrogant douche, but I do not compete in oly lifting, nor do I do bodybuilding. My best power clean was 192 before this, so of course 205 isn't going to look perfect. Say what you want about my squat, but I have witnesses who say that I hit parallel. 350 is a lot of weight when you're 6'1, between 185-190, have the worst possible lever advantage, and squatted 262 3 months ago.

Realize that I practice strongman, where nobody cares if you do not have a perfect lockout with a C&J. It's about getting the most amount of weight up possible. I do not max out every workout, and I have never been injured. I deload my lifts and take care to avoid stagnating on a certain exercise.

Calling my form ****ty is just ignorant. It went up fast, and I didn't use my arms. Could I have fired my hips more effectively before shrugging? Yes. But that was no where near as bad as 95% of high school jocks doing power reverse curls.

"If they could, they would; since they can't, they RANT!" - Dave Tate

BCC
05-10-2006, 07:58 PM
They're commenting on your form because you do look like you're going to hurt yourself. Not to mention you could be doing FAR more weight with better form.

Anthony
05-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Deadlifter, when I opened a picture titled "rock bottom with 350" I expect to see something below parallel. I was disappointed when you weren't even close. Maybe you hit rock bottom before/after the picture was taken? Either way, at that exact moment the picture was taken, you weren't even close. It's not an insult, just a comment based on your "rock bottom" title.

As for your clean and jerk, maybe it was a bit crude to call your form ****ty, but I'm not really one to sugar coat things. Piss poor form is bad for two reasons. First, you increase your risk of injury. If you haven't been injured yet, consider yourself lucky. It's like crossing the road without looking - it catches up with you eventually. Second, and this is important, piss poor form is limiting your numbers. The lifts are taught in a certain manner because that manner is what maximizes your body's leverage, momentum, power, and strength.

cphafner
05-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Criticizing your form isn't ignorant. Ignorant is lifting weights with form that might lead to injury. I have no doubt that you could do 205 with proper form, and most likely even more. This isn't a board where people are going to kiss you ass first, and worry about your safety second, it's vice versa here.

KarateBoy
05-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Haha, I wasnt talking about the Olympic lifter man... he's obviously crushing parallel. I was referring to the picture the OP posted of his squat which wasnt rock bottem.

Opps :clap:

Dinosaur
05-10-2006, 09:06 PM
It was close enough to parallel, it's not like he'll be doing a powerlifting competition soon. I know I prefer well below parallel, but like everyone on here, it took a bit to learn. Give him time.

KarateBoy
05-10-2006, 09:08 PM
WOW JUST WOW

THE PERFECT DEADLIFT!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7744591772793694017&q=squat

Dinosaur
05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
^^ That video's an old joke. I remember when it was initially posted on BruteStrength.com on April Fool's.