PDA

View Full Version : Long journy starts *pics*

kw1k
05-09-2006, 02:29 AM
it's been my 6th week in training curretly im bulking..trying to eat about 3500cals a day, 6 days a week rest sundays at the gym. I use the Level One, Routine that you can find in arnold schwarzenegger book , Before this routine I would just go work out without knowing wtf i was doing i had no routine or diet. I would just do random things at random days but im glad im slowly moving to the right path

it's a great routine. I could Write up the routine if it would help

Anyways i'm 18 years old. 5'5 154lbs i got my bf% today i was ranked at 18%-19% my goal is to gain 15lbs of muscle and cut down to less then 7% i'm not rushing this at all. I know its a very long process but i'm here to learn! and reach my goals:D

i'll take any suggestions or anything that would help me out ! i know this message board as a bunch of people who have amazing bodys & I would really love the help!

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/231/picture0014uk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7928/picture002black0lr.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7649/picture003black3uw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4272/picture004black9wo.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/70/picture005black2zs.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/2056/picture007black6sb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7579/picture008black5kg.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DavyRen
05-09-2006, 06:48 AM
I've got his book in the house but couldn't remember the routine as I much prefer wbb#1. Post it up
To be honest I don't think his book is the best out there, your probably much better learning from those on this forum.

Bob
05-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Wheels dude... where's the wheels??
If you wanna gain that kind of muscle, squatting and DLs are where you'll get a lot of full body benefits..

Post Arnold's routine.. I think you'll find that the WBB routines are slightly better.. just depends on the goals...

cosmicdebree88
05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
it's been my 6th week in training curretly im bulking..trying to eat about 3500cals a day, 6 days a week rest sundays at the gym. I use the Level One, Routine that you can find in arnold schwarzenegger book , Before this routine I would just go work out without knowing wtf i was doing i had no routine or diet. I would just do random things at random days but im glad im slowly moving to the right path

it's a great routine. I could Write up the routine if it would help

Anyways i'm 18 years old. 5'5 154lbs i got my bf% today i was ranked at 18%-19% my goal is to gain 15lbs of muscle and cut down to less then 7% i'm not rushing this at all. I know its a very long process but i'm here to learn! and reach my goals:D

i'll take any suggestions or anything that would help me out ! i know this message board as a bunch of people who have amazing bodys & I would really love the help!

First I would say to post up that routine. I never read arnold's book but if I remember correctly, the routines he lists are pretty intense and contain too much volume for a natural lifter. Other than that just try to make sure you are getting the correct amount of protein/carbs/fats. On a bulk it's easy to get carried away and not pay enough attention to what you put into your body.

kw1k
05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Oh i forgot to take pictures of my legs, i'll do that ASAP!

alright so this is how the routine works

Monday- Bench Press. 4x10

Incline Press 4x10

Pull overs 4x12

ChinUps 60 using the machine with the weight

Bent over rows 4x10

Power training - Deadlifts 3x 10 / 6 / 4

Abs 5 x 25

Tuesday Shoulders - Barbell Clean & Press 4 x 10

Dumbell lateral raise 4 x 10

Power training
Heavy upright rows 3 x 10 . 6 .4

Push Press 3 x 6 / 4 / 2

Upper Arms Standing Barbell Curls 4 x 10

Dumbcurls 4 x 20

Close grip Press 4x10

standing tricep extentions

Forarms

Wrist curls 4x 10

reverse wrist curl 4 x 10

Abs

Reverse Crunchs 5 x 25

Wednesday

Thigh - Squats 4 x 10

Lungs 4 x 10

Leg curls 4 x 10

Calf raise 5 x 15

Lower back

Power training

Straight leg dead lifts 3 x 10 / 6 / 4 to fail

Good morning 3 x 10/6/4 to fail

Abs 5 x 25

Thursday is the Same as Monday , Friday is the same as tuesday and Saturday is the same as Wednesday.

Goodwinm
05-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Im 5 foot 6 and 154lbs. SO prety much same BMI as you. Im pretty damn cut at the moment. Body fat at around 10% if not less. If you train hard, and eat sensibly you will be able to get a very good looking body.
You have a good base to start with. quite small in height, but quite stocky in build. With some intense training you can really go for it!

mike831
05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
I do Arnold's Level one too. I like the routine, but I cut the forearm exercises out of the routine since arms and shoulders days are the longest (close to two hours if they were included and I do five sets rather than the four sets you have listed). I'm not saying you should do that too, but that's what I did. Arnold's level one exercises have purposes geared to building your foundation, while trying to eliminate possible weak points, such as the serratus muscles by doing pullovers or upper chest by doing incline presses. I don't know but I really liked that routine and still do it, or maybe I'm too attached. I also do five sets of upright rows rather than three because I wanted to work the traps more, and that worked out good for me. Sometimes, it seems like we're doing more exercises than some of the other people in the gym but it's all good. When I do the barbell curls, I sometimes do my last few sets or extra sets or all the sets heavy so I get used to the weight and it works. Basically, I'm doing cheat curls so my body gets used to the weight and it helped build mass and make the biceps harder.

You could change up the exercises if you get bored or need a break, or to find out what works for you. Like instead of standing tricep extensions, I did reverse-grip extensions with a straight bar on the pulleys or skullcrushers and instead of pullups, I did wide-grip pulldowns. My partner really developed his lats when we switched from pullups to pulldowns. Me and him felt the assisted pullups with the machine weren't helping much and so that's why we switched to the pulldowns. We also had better luck doing the pullups without the machine. Supporting your weight and getting assistance from your partner rather than the machine was better.

Stick with it for a while and you'll definitely see results: split in the middle of your back get deeper from deadlifts, fingers from the pullovers, and you might notice the line between the hamstring and quads and the rubbing of your inner thighs from the lunges. Good luck and I'm going to keep track of how you progress since I do the same routine, and I'm as tall as you, but 15 lbs less (never ate right but plan on doing so).

kw1k
05-09-2006, 06:09 PM
I do Arnold's Level one too. I like the routine, but I cut the forearm exercises out of the routine since arms and shoulders days are the longest (close to two hours if they were included and I do five sets rather than the four sets you have listed). I'm not saying you should do that too, but that's what I did. Arnold's level one exercises have purposes geared to building your foundation, while trying to eliminate possible weak points, such as the serratus muscles by doing pullovers or upper chest by doing incline presses. I don't know but I really liked that routine and still do it, or maybe I'm too attached. I also do five sets of upright rows rather than three because I wanted to work the traps more, and that worked out good for me. Sometimes, it seems like we're doing more exercises than some of the other people in the gym but it's all good. When I do the barbell curls, I sometimes do my last few sets or extra sets or all the sets heavy so I get used to the weight and it works. Basically, I'm doing cheat curls so my body gets used to the weight and it helped build mass and make the biceps harder.

You could change up the exercises if you get bored or need a break, or to find out what works for you. Like instead of standing tricep extensions, I did reverse-grip extensions with a straight bar on the pulleys or skullcrushers and instead of pullups, I did wide-grip pulldowns. My partner really developed his lats when we switched from pullups to pulldowns. Me and him felt the assisted pullups with the machine weren't helping much and so that's why we switched to the pulldowns. We also had better luck doing the pullups without the machine. Supporting your weight and getting assistance from your partner rather than the machine was better.

Stick with it for a while and you'll definitely see results: split in the middle of your back get deeper from deadlifts, fingers from the pullovers, and you might notice the line between the hamstring and quads and the rubbing of your inner thighs from the lunges. Good luck and I'm going to keep track of how you progress since I do the same routine, and I'm as tall as you, but 15 lbs less (never ate right but plan on doing so).

coool bro. just out of curiosity how long have you been on this routine?

mike831
05-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I've been doing that routine since 2001, on and off. I actually read that whole book before doing the routine. It was good and it gave me more confidence working out because I had more knowledge about what I was doing and why I was doing it.

I kept getting sidetracked with school and my partner moving back home, plus I never had enough calories, but I'm more focused now and I should have more gains thanks to this site. Through this site, I figured how to easily get the calories I need and it's through those shakes: pb, protein, olive oil, oats, and milk. So make sure you eat right. It's really important.

Oh yeah, sometimes after all the bicep exercises, I would do concentration curls for height, and for fun sometimes, negatives on the preacher curl. Make sure you feel the stretch going down on pullovers and lower the bar slowly when you're doing upright rows to feel the stretch. I always flex out after my sets too to try to get those cuts and it gives you practice of controlling your muscles. I think you should do five sets for upright rows too. For the incline situps, I superset them with the top two rows and keep going back and forth. I did the leg raises on the situp board too. I did vacuums after abs and it works. We did something similar to this in yoga class and it works.

Since you're fine doing this routine and you like it, stick to it, and you should get results since all the exercises cover a lot of body parts. Don't stick to doing just ten repetitions either, but do as much as you can. Those numbers (10, 6, 4, etc...) are just guidelines. I like the feeling when you do as much as you can on the deadlifts. You really feel your back getting worked. Other than that, be consistent, try your hardest, and eat right.

Gabrielle
05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
that level 1 program out of Arnold's book is a start at least. I would recommend starting with WBB#1 program or a 5x5 program focusing on bench, squat & deads.

kw1k
05-10-2006, 02:18 AM
The WBB Routine seems like it's not enough.. maybe after the arnold routine i should try out the level 2 wbb routine?

mike831
05-10-2006, 03:17 AM
I was just curious but how was your body feeling your first week with the Arnold routine? My body was real sore the day after each workout, and especially the second day after. By the fourth day, my whole body was sore. I knew the routine was working because I was feeling the soreness. A friend, who doesn't work out at all, once did the leg/lower back day with me once and he couldn't sleep at night for a few days. I heard from a friend that he was moaning all night and morning that his legs were hurting, tossing side to side in his bed, and he even woke up to run across the room thinking that the pain might go away while moaning that it hurt. It was pretty funny when I heard about it.

Do you get real sore still? A few weeks after the routine, the soreness isn't that bad for me. Part of my motivation to stay on track is to not feel that pain from the first week.

kw1k
05-10-2006, 03:22 AM
the first 2 weeks we're a bitch dude, but slowly * slowly i'm starting to get use to it more each week. For example i just got back from the gym couple hours ago and i burned outt doing the close grip press, i was to tired. But mentally i was still focused i just pushed myself. Some days i feel real tired but it's my motivation that keeps me going

mike831
05-10-2006, 03:43 AM
Yeah, arms and shoulders days is the longest so you're prone to get more tired, plus cleans and press from the start takes hella energy. I remember my partner and I used to bust a sweat within the first ten minutes of entering the gym because of cleans and press. We were pouring sweat for reals.

Try doing military presses with the machine after cleans and press. Replace it with push presses on some days if you don't want to do too much sets. I really feel my delts doing military presses, and if you really wanna feel the burn, do the rack. Do your set normally, but after you can't do no more, drop the pin to 10 lbs less, and do it until you can't do it no more, drop the pin 10 lbs less, and do it until you can't do it no more, and you can drop the pin some more if you want. Works best if you have a partner. Do you work out with someone?

mike831
05-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Your muscular endurance will build up too, so you won't burn out as bad. You'll see and you won't feel so sore. Just a little sore, but no biggie at all.

Thomas
05-10-2006, 10:36 AM
is the idea still to lift heavy on this? this looks like it might be better for me then wbb1 i dont find that workout challenginag at all tbh i rarely get sore after it

kw1k
05-10-2006, 02:04 PM
is the idea still to lift heavy on this? this looks like it might be better for me then wbb1 i dont find that workout challenginag at all tbh i rarely get sore after it

I'm not sure if it still to lift heavy on this book. but i push myself a great deal on most workouts

DavyRen
05-10-2006, 03:17 PM

For gods sake what's the crack about feeling sore. It doesn't mean jake **** if your sore or not. WBB#1 should be challenging enough, add a set on each exercise and see how you go, failing that add more weight.

RBB
05-10-2006, 04:11 PM
wbb 1 or 2 is enough for anyone. imo, arnold's routines in that book are outdated and incorporate too much volume.

kw1k
05-10-2006, 07:55 PM
^^ actually This is his new book it can't be outdated! I'm going to start the WBB 1 or 2 routine after my 9 weeks have been completed. I'm sure the routine is great!.. Thanks for the info fellas.