PDA

View Full Version : how important is diet for muscle gain

brmiau
05-09-2006, 03:47 AM
hey people

if you workout hard and get your daily protein requirments, in my case 190g daily, how important is making sure you eat certain carbs at certain times and make sure your calories are over 2000 etc....

does it make a significant difference?

if you pump hard and have a decent diet, meat/chicken/fish - bread - tuna - lots of water - fruit etc, you will still gain muscle no doubt. i guess it will be at a slower rate than that of someone who is on a strict diet? am i correct in saying that?

thanks guys, hope you can help

teck
05-09-2006, 04:07 AM
mate carbs are probably the same if not more important than protein. read the stickys research more and it will make you more educated as this post has probably been posted loads and answered in great detail in the stickys by built and many others.

But to answer your question get 2-3grams of carbs per pound of lean muscle and around 1-2grams of protein per lean muscle.

diet is around 70-80% of bulking. the easy and fun part is pushing hard

TheGimp
05-09-2006, 04:11 AM
This game is all about diet... if you want numbers it would be something like 80 or 90% diet, 10% training.

If you don't eat enough calories you won't gain weight, simple as that, but some of the things you have mentioned - e.g. carb timing - are not necessary.

brmiau
05-09-2006, 05:16 AM
thegimp, there it is...

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=brmiau

needs lots of work haha

HILL
05-09-2006, 05:35 AM
overall calories are whats important when gaining weight. you could be gettign the exact amount of protein and fats but if your not in a calorie surplus your body doesnt have any excess cals to use for muscle growth they will just use your cals to maintain size hence the word maintanace cals

Slim Schaedle
05-09-2006, 10:11 AM
thegimp, there it is...

needs lots of work haha
Most small girls need about twice that amount.

ddegroff
05-09-2006, 01:14 PM
thegimp, there it is...

needs lots of work haha

Wow those cals are way to low. Do you know your maintenance calories are?

Davidelmo
05-09-2006, 01:50 PM
thegimp, there it is...

needs lots of work haha

My 100lb, 5ft 3 girlfriend would LOSE weight eating that little.

I have that much in ONE meal... 4 times a day.

motoko013
05-09-2006, 03:11 PM
heh, you need to eat that, about 4-5 times a day.....

Bikkstah
05-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Bread and water, you on the Jesus diet man? You're fasting on that diet.

pinky8713
05-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Diet is KEY for muscle gain. If you keep eating those calories, i'm sorry but you're not going to get far. I eat a minimum of five times that.

brmiau
05-10-2006, 04:05 AM
how bout posting your diets.... that would help a little more

Unreal
05-10-2006, 04:06 AM
Goto the Journal section and start reading away. Read the stickies that show what a body builder eats. Read the guide to cutting and the guides to gaining.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-10-2006, 05:22 AM
That is WAY too low, unless you have the worst metabolism on Earth.

ddegroff
05-10-2006, 11:44 AM
how bout posting your diets.... that would help a little more

Here ya go: My Fitday (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=ddegroff)

I still need to eat more today and its already double what your eating:burger: . Remember i'm trying to cut weight right now, if I was trying to gain I would be eating more than 3000cals atleast.

lifter4life
05-11-2006, 12:25 PM
hey people

if you workout hard and get your daily protein requirments, in my case 190g daily, how important is making sure you eat certain carbs at certain times and make sure your calories are over 2000 etc....

does it make a significant difference?

if you pump hard and have a decent diet, meat/chicken/fish - bread - tuna - lots of water - fruit etc, you will still gain muscle no doubt. i guess it will be at a slower rate than that of someone who is on a strict diet? am i correct in saying that?

thanks guys, hope you can help

You basically answered your own question. It depends on how fast you want to make your gains.

If you are eating regularly you will make gains no matter what (with a calorie surplus)*; it just depends on how soon you want to see them.

Edited for smalls sake*

brmiau
05-12-2006, 08:07 PM
well guys, ive taken the advice and here is what ive come up with

bit of feedback on how that looks... thanks guys!

Built
05-12-2006, 08:12 PM
MUCH better!

How's it feel to get in all this food?

brmiau
05-12-2006, 09:08 PM
bit weird, but i know i gotta do it! i just hope i dont put on like 10kgs of fat in 2 weeks

smalls
05-12-2006, 09:41 PM
You basically answered your own question. It depends on how fast you want to make your gains.

If you are eating regularly you will make gains no matter what; it just depends on how soon you want to see them.

What do you mean by gains. Because the way I read that last sentance it is completely incorrect. As evidenced by the majority of the people in the gym.

I could eat 500g of protein a day and still lose muscle, i've done it.

brmiau
05-12-2006, 09:55 PM
what i mean is i wanna put on muscle. i wanna get bigger.

smalls
05-12-2006, 10:10 PM
I realize that. And I was pointing out the fact that how much protein you get DOESNT MATTER (unless your getting sufficient calories) Total calories are what is going to make or break your progress. I was addressing lifter4life's comments which stated gains can be made eating normal, just slowly. Which defies the laws of thermodynamics. If your not eating more than your body needs to function, then you wont keep making muscular gains, at least not for very long.

Protein means nothing if your overall diet is lacking.

brmiau
05-12-2006, 10:41 PM
well do you think that diet i posted is good enough for gains? im 188cms and 195lbs if that makes a diff.

smalls
05-13-2006, 12:57 AM
I think it looks much better. But you have to keep track every day, if your not gaining weight then simply add slightly more calories continually until you are gaining weight. Keep track of total cals every day and guage your progress from there.

ddegroff
05-13-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree its MUCH better than before. But make sure you keep track of your progress. If your gaining too fast then cut back the cals, if your not gaining add cals.

RedSpikeyThing
05-13-2006, 11:41 AM
well do you think that diet i posted is good enough for gains? im 188cms and 195lbs if that makes a diff.

It entirely depends on you. Try it for a week or two and find out! I put on 10-12 lbs eating 3000 cals (I weighed 140, mind you). Thats breakfast for a lot of people around here. Try it and see what happens.