PDA

View Full Version : Should I do HIIT on lifting days, or rest days?

Nickthebassist
05-09-2006, 12:13 PM
?

Anthony
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Do it on days that work for you. What's your plan?

ddegroff
05-09-2006, 01:21 PM
I personally like to do it on an off day and not around my legs day. Its completely personal, if you can handle doing both in the same day go ahead.

Nickthebassist
05-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm on a cut to get in shape for summer as I am carrying a bit of flab. My plan is :
Day 1 : Chest and Back
Day 2 : rest
Day 3 : Shoulders and Legs
Day 4 : rest
Day 5 : Arms and whatever takes my fancy for a bit more work.
Day 6 : HIIT?
Day 7 : HIIT?

Nickthebassist
05-18-2006, 08:16 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=31799
Just read this. Does HIIT burn blood sugar then? I thought it burned fat?

Anthony
05-18-2006, 08:38 AM
During the actual activity, HIIT will burn more glucose than fat. But your body rebounds, metabolism increases, and it turns into a fat burning machine. The bottom line is that HIIT burns 3x more fat than steady state cardio. Poke around some more, there are recent discussions on HIIT that may give you a better understanding.

d'Anconia
05-18-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm on a cut to get in shape for summer as I am carrying a bit of flab. My plan is :
Day 1 : Chest and Back
Day 2 : rest
Day 3 : Shoulders and Legs
Day 4 : rest
Day 5 : Arms and whatever takes my fancy for a bit more work.
Day 6 : HIIT?
Day 7 : HIIT?

I think you could throw a HIIT session on day 5 after what seems to be your "whatever else I feel like lifting" workout, rest on day 6, and do HIIT on day 7.
That way at least you don't have to do one HIIT session after the other. I personally don't think I'd be able to do that.

ericg
05-18-2006, 02:55 PM
If your HIIT will consist of all out sprinting, i think you might need a day rest (or no hiit) between sessions, especially when you first start. Sprinting can take a lot out of you.

Nickthebassist
05-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I usually do my HIIT on a bike. I'm thinking of requesting an elliptical machine for a birthday present though, are these good for HIIT?

d'Anconia
05-20-2006, 06:22 PM
I would think they'd definitely be better than a treadmill. As long as you can jack up the resistance quickly...

Anthony
05-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I tried it on a crosstrainer and thought it sucked, but Isaac seems to like it ... so maybe it depends on the brand. I know even with stationary bikes, it's hard to find one that can accommadate a true sprint/rest interval.

GrumpyFlex
05-23-2006, 07:55 AM
Tried it on an eliptical today and damn near dislocated my hips... not a good idea... im thinking maybe a cycle on low resistance... then again I may just stick to my spinning since that is an awesome form of HIIT from what Ive read