PDA

View Full Version : Milk making me drowsy

Progress
05-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I drink skim milk but I typically only drink it with something such as with oats/cereal or with protein powder. It seems as though when I drink a decent amount of it, I become drowsy. For example, I just drank 32 oz of milk with maybe a scoop of Nitrean after I had gotten half way through it.

Now, 5 minutes later, I'm tired and drowsy. What is the deal?

Eszekial
05-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Milk is somewhat up there on the GI index (55 i believe). It's got a decent amount of carbs in it.

It's recommended that you don't drink more than 32oz if you're cutting.

Just speculation here, but if your taking in a lot of milk and cereal (which might also be high in sugar), you might be spiking insulin therefore causing a crash...

Just speculation.. Might not just be the milk, but a combination of things.

razorcut
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
There is a medical entity called "Post-prandial drowsiness".....meaning feeling sleepy after eating. There are a handful of theories as to why this happens:

1. After eating there's a "reactive hypoglycemia", meaning there's a release of insulin after a meal which subsequently lowers your blood glucose levels (i.e. making you hypoglycemic). This state of hypoglycemia makes you feel tired.
2. After eating, your body temperature lowers. This lowering of body temperature can also can make one feel somewhat drowsy.
3. The last theory (of which I'm aware) is a shift of blood flow from the periphery to the gut (for digestive purposes) after a meal. This can also make someone feel slightly fatigued after a meal. This is also the culprit in elderly individuals having fainting spells after eating a large meal.

In your case I'm not sure which (if any) are the cause. It's hard to explain why skim milk and some protein powder would make you drowsy......especially after only 5 minutes post-ingestion.

Maybe others have some thoughts on this.

Progress
05-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Milk is somewhat up there on the GI index (55 i believe). It's got a decent amount of carbs in it.

It's recommended that you don't drink more than 32oz if you're cutting.

Just speculation here, but if your taking in a lot of milk and cereal (which might also be high in sugar), you might be spiking insulin therefore causing a crash...

Just speculation.. Might not just be the milk, but a combination of things.

Well, I'm not cutting now but that is good to know. Also, I have cut out all cereal now. I just eat raw oats with Splenda and milk.

There is a medical entity called "Post-prandial drowsiness".....meaning feeling sleepy after eating. There are a handful of theories as to why this happens:

1. After eating there's a "reactive hypoglycemia", meaning there's a release of insulin after a meal which subsequently lowers your blood glucose levels (i.e. making you hypoglycemic). This state of hypoglycemia makes you feel tired.
2. After eating, your body temperature lowers. This lowering of body temperature can also can make one feel somewhat drowsy.
3. The last theory (of which I'm aware) is a shift of blood flow from the periphery to the gut (for digestive purposes) after a meal. This can also make someone feel slightly fatigued after a meal. This is also the culprit in elderly individuals having fainting spells after eating a large meal.

In your case I'm not sure which (if any) are the cause. It's hard to explain why skim milk and some protein powder would make you drowsy......especially after only 5 minutes post-ingestion.

Maybe others have some thoughts on this.

Thanks for that info, your uncertainness is what makes me confused, too. I can eat a half pound of spaghetti and 6 oz of tuna and be raring to go with in a few minutes. But the milk, man, the milk.

Progress
05-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Also: Some time last year I would drink milk and would almost have an allergic reaction to it. My mouth would itch and my throat would feel slightly swollen. It would wear off after a while, though.

I guess an even bigger note is that I used to be allergic to milk. I didn't start drinking milk until 2000. Perhaps, my body isn't 100% certain on how to digest the lactose and is inhibited some how?

razorcut
05-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I guess an even bigger note is that I used to be allergic to milk. I didn't start drinking milk until 2000. Perhaps, my body isn't 100% certain on how to digest the lactose and is inhibited some how?That's the most likely reason, IMO. Your body is being stressed each time you ingest milk. Try soy or lactose-free milk and see if you get the same reaction.

BrewCrew06
05-10-2006, 01:27 PM
dairy products tend to make you sleepy

AndresC
05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Isn't it a wives-tale, drink a warm glass of milk to help you go to sleep. I don't know the scientific reason though.

Progress
05-11-2006, 10:42 AM
dairy products tend to make you sleepy

Yes, I believe I established that in the thread title. :D

Anyway, I'm going to cut down milk to just with oats in the morning and after workout shake. I had a bathroom "issue" yesterday that I can only truly attribute to the 32 oz of milk I chugged after lunch.

/thread