PDA

View Full Version : Diet soda?!?!

crazyskater52
05-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Okay, I was wondering, is diet soda okay? Is there any way it makes you fatter slower or anything?

Eszekial
05-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Most people here will tell you it's fine.

Personally i like to avoid artificial sweetners.

crazyskater52
05-10-2006, 02:32 PM
wooooo, so I can have like a liter a day and be okay? I mean I'm not going to but, I bought 2 liter yesterday and I'm half done now, havnt had soda in forever and taste so good not to gain fat :-) So Just wondering maybe like a 1-3 cups a day is it okay? Or whats recomended

Jordanbcool
05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Just because it dosent have any calories does not mean its not horrible for your body. Salt has no calories and look how bad it is for you!

But in modest amounts theres nothing wrong with salt or diet sodas. Having one or two a day is fine.

-jordan

Built
05-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Salt is bad for you? (http://lonestar.texas.net/~czubeck/sodium-.htm)

crazyskater52
05-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I figured it'd be bad for you, but just wondering, okay thats cool, I'll prob have one a day or something, okay thanks alot! And very interesting article built

Built
05-10-2006, 03:54 PM
I salt the hell out of everything now.

Jordanbcool
05-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I never salt anything I eat, it takes the flavor out of most foods.

And that article doesnt say anything of the harmful effects from eating too much salt.

It was interesting to learn that it has such a large part in building muscle though...

-jordan

"This is important. I know, over the years
the media has pounded the “avoid salt” routine down your throat but you must
understand, not only this is geared towards the “average person” - if you train
and eat like a bodybuilder, you are not an average person"

Eszekial
05-10-2006, 04:32 PM

Whaaaaaaaaaa?

Built
05-10-2006, 04:33 PM

That's unusual. Most people find the opposite.

And that article doesnt say anything of the harmful effects from eating too much salt.

Exactly. That was the point. :)

It was interesting to learn that it has such a large part in building muscle though...

-jordan

"This is important. I know, over the years
the media has pounded the “avoid salt” routine down your throat but you must
understand, not only this is geared towards the “average person” - if you train
and eat like a bodybuilder, you are not an average person"

I started extra-salting stuff last year for my first-ever successful cut.

Mmmm… salt!

Unreal
05-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Salt is awesome.

AgKitty
05-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Salt makes everything better.

dissipate
05-11-2006, 02:40 AM
i think i know what you mean... the real distinct flavours are destroyed by the presence of salt....

Jordanbcool
05-11-2006, 06:35 AM
i think i know what you mean... the real distinct flavours are destroyed by the presence of salt....

Exactly. To me it just tastes.....like salt. It dosent enhance the flavor but usually overpowers it.

-jordan

djreef
05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
It trips me out when folks salt water mellon. I don't get that.

DJ

Shark
05-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Salt is bad for you? (http://lonestar.texas.net/~czubeck/sodium-.htm)

I'm not convinced. Nothing in that article was backed up by sources or anything legit. I mean, it sounds all well and good because I love salt but until I really see something quality and legit that disproves the "salt myths" I will be avoiding it.

There was one line I thought was interesting though:

"The typical athlete that eats a disciplined diet low in fat is probably not benefiting from
proper sodium intake as he should."

How many bodybuilders do you know who are eating low fat diets?

Built
05-11-2006, 11:53 AM
How many bodybuilders do you know who are eating low fat diets?

Most of them, actually. The ones at my gym all seem shocked when I tell them I eat higher fats.

Jordanbcool
05-11-2006, 12:06 PM
In all fairness that article looked fine to me. I couldnt find anything wrong with it other then it didnt point out any reasons why too much salt is harmful.

-jordan

The lack of sources does raise eyebrows though.

Built
05-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Healthy people don't develop hypertension from increased salt consumption. It's like the "protein causes kidney damage" thing - it's true, if you're dealing with a pre-existing condition, but not true with healthy kidneys.
Salt can't be patented, and it's cheap as hell. It's unlikely any big important studies are going to be done on it with BB - there's just no money to be made.

I started salting the hell out of my food last year, in my forties. I cut well, felt good, didn't get high blood pressure (last time I checked it was 120 over 70) and let's face it - it's yummy as hell.

Mercuryblade
05-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Healthy people don't develop hypertension from increased salt consumption.

This is most definately true, a high sodium content in your blood causes more water to go into your blood stream, and thus increase your blood pressure TEMPORARILY, while the extra salt is present (salt is always present). Sodium can aggravate prexisting hypertension conditions, but in itself does not lead to hypertension.