PDA

View Full Version : Water V.S Coke FACT or FICTION

mikey4402
05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
i dont know if this is all true, but if it is its pretty intresting

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so
weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's
metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger
pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a
University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the ..1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses
of water a day could significantly ease back joint pain
for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy
short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and
difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a
printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the
risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the
risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less
likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE:

1 In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol
carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove
blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and
it will be gone in two days

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into
the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one
hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke
removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub
the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap
aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals:
Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble
away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked
in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke
into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run
through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help
loosen grease stains.

8. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.
Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.
Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones
and is a major contributor to the rising increase in
osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the
commercial truck must use the Hazardous material
place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to
clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

drew
05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
When Coke first started distributing plastic bottles, they had to bring them back and redesign the plastic resin. The Coke tasted like plastic because it was actually melting the bottle from the inside.

D Breyer
05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
I think a lot of those coke myths were tried on mythbusters awhile back... I dont remember the results though... It would be interesting to see which are true and which arn't. If that is factual, that's discusting.

WORLD
05-10-2006, 09:20 PM
HAha wow the coke ones are interesting. I wounder how harmful it actually is to your body.

SpecialK
05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
The part about it dissolving a nail is false:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

arya202
05-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah how often do you guys keep coke in your mouth for 2 days straight?

I don't have trouble believe either one but I don't think Coke is that bad.

Jordanbcool
05-10-2006, 11:00 PM
The water facts are true.

Coke facts are false. If it was THAT bad people wouldnt be able to drink a liter a day and live to tell about it. Im not saying its good but dont try to make soda sound like acid.

-jordan

Mercuryblade
05-11-2006, 12:02 AM
but dont try to make soda sound like acid

It is an acid, thats why its bad for your teeth. But then again, almost everything we eat is acidic. Coke does have a very low pH though, it is around 2.8. The evidence for the supposed bone loss due to coke consumption is highly debated.

If it was THAT bad people wouldnt be able to drink a liter a day and live to tell about it.

And there are people who have smoked for 50 years and are still alive. That doesn't meen smoking isn't bad for you.

TheGimp
05-11-2006, 01:15 AM
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Claim: The acids in Coca-Cola make it harmful to drink.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl . . . Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.

4. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

5. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

6. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

7. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

8. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan;rap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

9. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FYI:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It's pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

2. To carry Coca Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly Corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years! Drink up! No joke. Think what coke and other soft drinks do to your teeth on a daily basis. A tooth will dissolve in a cup of coke in 24-48 hours.

Origins: Many
of the entries above are just simple household tips involving Coca-Cola, as provided by Joey Green in his 1995 book Polish Your Furniture with Panty Hose and on his web site. That you can cook and clean with Coke is relatively meaningless from a safety standpoint you can use a wide array of common household substances (including water) for the same purposes; that fact alone doesn't necessarily make them dangerous to ingest. Nearly all carbonated soft drinks contain carbonic acid, which is moderately useful for tasks such as removing stains and dissolving rust deposits (although plain soda water is much better for some of these purposes than Coca-Cola or other soft drinks, as it doesn't leave a sticky sugar residue behind). Carbonic acid is relatively weak, however, and people have been drinking carbonated water for many years with no detrimental effects.

The rest of the claims offered here are specious. Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid and phosphoric acid; however, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail overnight. (Much of the item will dissolve eventually, but after a day or two you'll still have most of the tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)

Besides, the gastric acid in your stomach is much stronger than any of the acids in Coca-Cola, so the Coca-Cola is harmless.

The next time you're stopped by a highway patrolman, try asking him if he's ever scrubbed blood stains off a highway with Coca-Cola (or anything else). If you're lucky, by the time he stops laughing he'll have forgotten about the citation he was going to give you.

Last updated: 29 March 2004

(emphasis my own)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-11-2006, 01:27 AM
The part about it dissolving a nail is false:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.aspUm...dude. In 8th grade I watched Bill Nye the Science Guy put a tooth in coke overnight and it erroded all the enamel off the tooth, making it rubbery. It didn't dissolve the tooth, but it still caused some damage. If these people actually tested this, I'd understand. Did they or did they not test this?

jlewis_media
05-11-2006, 02:03 AM
isnt ph 2.8 base? acid is above 7... not really sure though

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-11-2006, 02:09 AM
isnt ph 2.8 base? acid is above 7... not really sure thoughHere ya go:

pH quantifies the acidity or alkalinity of a water sample. It is measured on the pH scale which ranges from 0 (maximum acidity) to 14 (maximum alkalinity). The middle of the scale, 7, represents the neutral point. Pure water has a pH of 7.0. Anything above 7 is basic and anything below 7 is acidic.

Davidelmo
05-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Surely it can't be ph 2.8... that would put it on an equal with stomach acid :|

Jordanbcool
05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Surely it can't be ph 2.8... that would put it on an equal with stomach acid :|

Exactly.

Yes its an acid and lemons too are very acidic. I wont lose any sleep though when I eat some lemons or drink coke. To worry that its going to melt my teeth is just absurd.

It is an acid, thats why its bad for your teeth. But then again, almost everything we eat is acidic. Coke does have a very low pH though, it is around 2.8. The evidence for the supposed bone loss due to coke consumption is highly debated.

And there are people who have smoked for 50 years and are still alive. That doesn't meen smoking isn't bad for you.

What a terrible comparison. Trying to say coke and smoking do the same level of harm to your body is something I have to laugh at. Anyways back to your post. Some smokers dont die because of their genetics. Thats just how they are, they can handle more smoke/pollutants then most people. But isnt it funny that tabacco products are the leading cause of death? Maybe some people can smoke for years and not have problems but the majority dont. Last time I checked no one died from a coke overdose, or suddenly melted away because the coke melted through their bodies. If coke is as bad as you say it is, it would cause your throat to errode and you basically would have the same problems as someone with acid refluxe disease.

O yea, and cokes bad for your teeth mainly for its SUGAR CONTENT not is acidity.

-jordan

Holto
05-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I spilled a bottle of Phoshporic Acid on my carpet and by the time I ran back with paper towels the carpet was gone where the puddle formed.

I was amazed though because I have splashed alot of it on my skin with no problem.

betastas
05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Coke is mainly bad for the high fructose corn syrup. The acid arguments are pretty silly considering the potency of stomach acid. Coke is bad namely because of the empty calories and the fructose. It's also just a pile of chemicals.

Some people like it, but I just don't drink any pop.

EDIT: The acidity and sugar do cause problems with the teeth. Ask a dentist about pop, cavities and oral hygiene sometime.

djreef
05-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Actually - the citric and phosphoric acids play a fairly small part in driving down the pH of the product. The largest contributor to the lowered pH is the carbon dioxide gas that is injected into the solution - through the side formation of carbonic acid. The other two are simply icing on the acid cake. And the battery trick is true. My buddy and I did that one just a couple of months ago to his truck battery to get his rig started.

DJ

Holto
05-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Actually - the citric and phosphoric acids play a fairly small part in driving down the pH of the product. The largest contributor to the lowered pH is the carbon dioxide gas that is injected into the solution - through the side formation of carbonic acid. The other two are simply icing on the acid cake. And the battery trick is true. My buddy and I did that one just a couple of months ago to his truck battery to get his rig started.

DJ

Interesting. My bottle of Phoshporic Acid is labeled 'PH down'.

Is it that the PH of the carbon dioxide gas is lower, or that is it simpy that there is more in it?

MantiXX
05-11-2006, 01:39 PM
The phosphoric acid in coke will corrode/destroy your teeth over time (just not overnight..:bash: )....

This is the same reason (to a much lesser degree) that anorexics destroy their teeth (vomiting stomach acid over their teeth daily) causes them to eat away at their teeth...

And here we are trying to cram as much food into ourselves...LOL...

Peace out...

djreef
05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Interesting. My bottle of Phoshporic Acid is labeled 'PH down'.

Is it that the PH of the carbon dioxide gas is lower, or that is it simpy that there is more in it?

The quantity.

DJ

Bruise Brubaker
05-11-2006, 03:13 PM
What's the deal with comparing coke to stomach acids.

First, nobody drink stomach acid.

Second, stomach acid can be around pH 1, which is almost 100 times more acid than pH 2.8...

Third, coke is pure absolute trash, but that's only my opinion.

Coke does have phosphorus, but not that much when compared to food. I believe though that most people have a phosphorus:calcium ratio that is too high.

Mercuryblade
05-11-2006, 03:31 PM

No chemical or molecule has a standard pH. pH has to do directly with concentrations. pH actually stands for parts/potential/power hydrogen, the ph scale means 1x10^-x mols H+/Liter (H+ is a hydrogen ion). Where x denotes the given pH. Therefore a pH of 1 means that there are .1 moles H+ in a liter. Therefore a carbon dioxide solution would have varying pH's depending on the amount dissolved in a liter. I knew eventually I would have a real world application with my biochem major!

RedSpikeyThing
05-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I think a lot of those coke myths were tried on mythbusters awhile back... I dont remember the results though... It would be interesting to see which are true and which arn't. If that is factual, that's discusting.

Yup. They were myths.

Spartan936
05-12-2006, 11:00 PM
What I want to know is if the statistics they throw around about water are accurate or not.

CBrons
05-12-2006, 11:35 PM
:read: a lot of the comments thrown out there as facts in this thread are very normative.

On another note I personally try and avoid soda as it really does absolutely nothing for me.
I also drink over a gallon of water per day.

peace

Davidelmo
05-13-2006, 06:06 AM
What's the deal with comparing coke to stomach acids.

First, nobody drink stomach acid.

Second, stomach acid can be around pH 1, which is almost 100 times more acid than pH 2.8...

Third, coke is pure absolute trash, but that's only my opinion.

Coke does have phosphorus, but not that much when compared to food. I believe though that most people have a phosphorus:calcium ratio that is too high.

Yes, the stomach acid might be pH 1, but the gastric contents are around pH3 because the liquid/food that you've eaten.

Sensei
05-13-2006, 06:37 AM
My friend tried to clean his toilet bowl with Coke on numerous occassions - it never worked. Maybe his crapper was just THAT dirty, but I think the whole Coke-as-cleaner-thing has been way overblown.

Beno79
05-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I like coke! I know its really not very good for you, but it has some magical hold over me...

though the thought of drinking brown acid with plenty of extra sugar, caffeine and various other flavourings should be enough to put me off!

Ive got a can in the fridge actually! :D