PDA

View Full Version : vegtable oil vs olive oil

WILL006
05-10-2006, 08:58 PM
whats up everyone quick question,

Well basically i started my cut about a month ago and i use olive oil like crazy as

healthy fats and for quick calories. Well i just ran out and i still gotta get in

647 cals . I have some vegtable oil and from reading the label sounds alright

but i really dont know . So would it be ok to use as a substitute? thanks

WORLD
05-10-2006, 09:12 PM
You can use vegetable oil to run diesel engines. lol

WORLD
05-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Trans-Fats are abundant in vegetable oils. Just grab some peanut butter until you get more olive oil.

WILL006
05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
the label says 0 trans fat and i ran out of freakin peanut butter too!!!

WORLD
05-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I know it says 0 thats what I dont understand. Im not 100% about this topic, you should do an internet search. And you ran out of peanut butter? man, call up a friend!

Mercuryblade
05-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Trans-Fats are abundant in vegetable oils.

They have been phased out of most everything we eat. They pretty much are only abundant in products with partially hydrogenated oils, (think margerine or peanut butter that isn't natty). Plain vegetable oil such as corn isn't good for you, but not because it contains trans fats.

0g trans fats however can be deceiving. A product can say taht it contains 0g trans fat, if one serving contains less that 1g of trans fat.

TheGimp
05-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Vegetable oil is high in omega-6 and omega-9 EFAs.

Ideally we should be aiming for a ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 of about 1:1. The problem is that most of have a ratio of more like 1:30 thanks to an overabundance of grains, vegetable oils, and meat from animals fed grains, in our diets.

The advantage of olive oil is that it is mainly "neutral" mono-unsaturated fat which does not affect the ratio.

betastas
05-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Trans fats are still in vegetable oils. The rating given on the bottle is for a batch that is to the manufacturers specifications. I have recently read an article about oil manufacturing where samples of the oils were tested in a private lab. The results showed that many vegetable oils contained up to 4-5% trans saturated fats, higher than the 1-3% rating it is supposed to have.

Remember, 0 trans fat in a serving of 14g of fat means that the amount of trans fat in the 14g is less than 0.5g. So 0.5g/ 14g = 3.57%. Since the optimal levels of trans fats is SUPPOSED to be 1% and is much less than 3.57%, they can write it as: 0 trans fats!

The reason that these trans fats are appearing in the vegetable oils is due to manufacturers cutting corners to produce more oil for cheap. Until they get nailed for it, they'll keep doing it. Avoid vegetable oils in general, use saturated oils for cooking, and eat your olive oil and PB.

Don't be fooled. PB, Olive Oil and nuts (and avocados) are your best sources of non-saturated fats.