PDA

View Full Version : comign back from minor sprain

jazer80
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
long story short: never isolated forearms. played with heavy forearm exercise. 10 minutes later hit a heavy bag full force, full windup, not realizing my wrist couldn't support my hit. so my wrist buckled fully (like my hand was pointing straight down and my wrist hit the bag).

it's been like 4 days maybe, i've already lifted on it and it's doing good. i'm taking mega dose fish oil (maybe 10 a day w/ 300mg 3's in each pill), and about 2000-2500mg glucosamine and same amount msm daily.

my quesiton is how often should i be stretching it? and should i stretch it as much as i can, or just enough so it doesn't get stiff?

i know these are probably total newb q's, but i seldom get injured, this was just a dumbass mistake that i made

Sleepr
05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Depends on if you actually sprained the ligament (s) or not and the severity of the sprain. If its a mild sprain, then ROM exercises and gentle stretching in the pain-free range should be ok. Strengthen the muscles around your wrists also (your muscles play a big role in joint stability).

jazer80
05-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Depends on if you actually sprained the ligament (s) or not and the severity of the sprain. If its a mild sprain, then ROM exercises and gentle stretching in the pain-free range should be ok. Strengthen the muscles around your wrists also (your muscles play a big role in joint stability).
yeah that's actually why i was building the 'wrist roller' (just a 25lbs plate with a rope and bar, you just turn the bar to raise it,you guys know what i mean) because my wrists occasionally buckle while boxing (never this bad). i don't get a lot of wrist work because i never train arms below my shoulders (my biceps are out of proportion to my body imo so i don't train them, and therefore i get much less wrist work done), so i built this, and then made a dumb mistake.

it still hurts today, but it's really not bad. i mean yesterday i was able to do a small crossfit-style workout with pullups, clean and jerk (i think that's what they are), and overhead barbell squats, without much notice of the wrist. it actually hurts the worse when i type believe it or not

Sleepr
05-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Do you use handwraps and gloves? Your wrists shouldn't buckle that much.

jazer80
05-12-2006, 02:52 PM
no i train w/o anything on my hands; i cut 8 little squares from a bandaid to put over each knuckle, but that's all. i like not using anything, feels way more natural to me (i'd rather build my wrists up to handle it than wear wraps/gloves)

Sleepr
05-12-2006, 03:21 PM
You will build your wrists up while using wraps. The wraps are there for supportive purposes but they aren't rigid enough to replace your muscles as a stabilizer when applied properly. The bandaids on your knuckles aren't necessary, they'll just protect your skin from scratches. Correct your form, don't unload on the bag like you are trying to explode it and DON'T "push" the bag. Your punches should make contact for a split second and you should retract quickly and get ready for your next move.

P.S.-What is better? Wearing hand wraps and gloves and boxing another day.......or spraining your wrist and not being able to box/lift for a couple of months?
P.S.S.-If you do have a minor sprain, your ligament(s) may be compromised and you can tear them more easily if you keep doing what you are doing.

jazer80
05-12-2006, 07:20 PM
You will build your wrists up while using wraps. The wraps are there for supportive purposes but they aren't rigid enough to replace your muscles as a stabilizer when applied properly. The bandaids on your knuckles aren't necessary, they'll just protect your skin from scratches. Correct your form, don't unload on the bag like you are trying to explode it and DON'T "push" the bag. Your punches should make contact for a split second and you should retract quickly and get ready for your next move.

P.S.-What is better? Wearing hand wraps and gloves and boxing another day.......or spraining your wrist and not being able to box/lift for a couple of months?
P.S.S.-If you do have a minor sprain, your ligament(s) may be compromised and you can tear them more easily if you keep doing what you are doing.
you don't build them up as much. it's like the age old debate on squatting belts. i don't use gloves when lifting, or belts, or straps, or anything, and i don't like wearing wraps. i know my wrist still supports most of it, but i like hitting a bag 100% of my own strength.

the bandaids are totally necessary, they make it so my knuckles don't bleed.

why shouldn't i hit the bag like i'm trying to explode it? i think you may be under the misimpression that i'm trying to practice boxing, or get better at it, when in actuality it is just one of my favorite forms of cardio, and it makes my punches way way stronger / better than they ever were before.