PDA

View Full Version : Cardio (GPP style) that mainly targetz de' Back!?!

jampsifit
05-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey whats up people? i was just wondering if you guys could recommend any type of cardio that will specifically target the back muscles. Right now the only ones that i know of that really works the back (or were the back muscles are the main ones being utilized) is the following:

*Swimming*
Rope climbing
Rowing
Med ball throwing

thats all i can really think of that would in a way simulate the actions needed to hit the back muscles. Right now the one im in favor of is swimming. I plan on using something that is a foam-like strap on to increase resistance (just like the ankle/wrist weights) if that is necessary.....that is if i choose to do swimming.

The main reason why im asking this is because i want to implement a form of cardio that will (like i said earlier) hit the back (and hopefully other upper body muscles as well) so that i can do this the day after upper body/back days in persuit of reducing DOMS, aides in recovery, and as a sort of GPP training.

So far I think swimming (de' Breast stroke ......and the de' butterfly stroke i suppose....ohh and also freestyle stroke) would be the best for upper body.

So tell me what you guys think would be the best out of those options or can you throw in a new option maybe something that you do for cardio that might work those muscles or something in general that you do for GPP (other than sled pulling which i will be doing after leg days) ? Iight people thanx in advance.......wHooP wHooP!

Anthony
05-11-2006, 09:21 PM
So are you asking about Active Recovery or GPP?

jampsifit
05-11-2006, 09:42 PM
um GPP

Anthony
05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Then stop worrying about muscle groups.

jampsifit
05-11-2006, 09:50 PM
hmmm....okies

jampsifit
05-11-2006, 10:03 PM
well if that is the case then would it even matter which one i chose? or would there be one that would be better for GPP than the others? From what i've read i don't think it would but i might be wrong. The only thing that some of them might not have that may be necessary for a GPP exercise would be the weight lifting elements i guess or am i wrong? thanx for the reply.....lata

Anthony
05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
No, it doesn't really matter as they are all great exercises.

If you are looking for active recovery, swimming and rowing are great for full body. Jogging/walking would be great for lower body. Essentially you just want to get the blood flowing into the areas that are sore.

If you are looking for GPP, that's a little different. The best advice I could give is to determine your weakness and then attack it. Maybe it's rowing, maybe it's running, maybe it's the olympic lifts ... whatever it is, it's up to you to determine what needs work and what doesn't. Make sense?

jampsifit
05-12-2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah it sorta makes sense, the only problem now is assessing my weaknesses....

(before i get into my weaknesses i want to let u guys know that im already doing a bodybuilder/power lifter routine (includes pull/chin ups)) Here is what the days look like

M-upper
W-lower
F-upper
M-lower
W-upper
F-lower
M-upper.... and so on. And i have 3 excersises that i rotate with each workout. So it can be Monday 1a upper, then Tues 1b upper, friday 2a upper, Monday 2b lower...and on to 3a&b then restart. Just to give you an idea of what i do.....

Now from the top of my head i think that my main weakness would definately be my upper body (chest,biceps,hand grip/techniques,shoulder (joints). My lower body have always over powered my upper body especially when i did track,xcountry, and martial arts. For this i think maybe Rows would do the trick.

Also my balance, form, and footwork are sometimes off, but i think its due to a lack of mind-body connectedness. For this i think jump roping and swimming exercises would work

And the last one is somewhat endurance related. Well i guess i just don't know how to pace myself sumtimes, for instance when i use to run track & xcountry i would start off at a good pace but then i'd give it a lil too much umph and not have enough juice left towards the end. i'd usually start to show signs of fatigue towards the middle. For this i think some sort of HIIT type excercise might work.

That is pretty much all my weaknesses. So can you or anyone comment on my choice for exercises or recommend one for those type of weaknesses.

Anthony
05-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Don't try to isolate which muscles are holding you back. Think of movements. Is your bench press a weakness? Is your overhead press a weakness? Is your deadlift a weakness? Rowing? Chinups? Tell us the movement that is weak.

For now, general advice would be to balance your pressing movements with pulling movements. Stick with the basic compounds - dips, bench, over head presses, chinups, rows, deadlifts, cleans, etc.

Balance, form, and footwork in regards to what? Boxing? Dancing? If it's something specific, maybe some extra practise is all you need. If it's something general, perhaps variations of the olympic lifts, gymnastic movements, and maybe some plyometrics will help.

And for endurance, you're definitely on the right track with HIIT.

ddegroff
05-12-2006, 01:05 PM
For example:
I have a weak back, rows and deads aren't bad but my pullups we're horrible. In two weeks of doing the crossfit's WOD, my pullups are getting so much better. Like Anthony said if a certain lift is week attack it and work to make it better.

jampsifit
05-12-2006, 03:58 PM
for movements i'd have to say Pushing/Pressing. The other ones to a lesser degree would be raising and extension (of the arms) type movements. But definately movements like pushing/pressing are my weakness. I was always bad at the bench press and shoulder presses, yet was always good at the pulling type movements.

About the balance and footwork thing, its more so for martial arts but i think you're right on the practice part. I just gotta keep practicing that specific movement and focus better.

so what kind of activities/exercises would you recommend for the pushing/pressing.....and maybe the other one (raising/extension)? Right now im already doing those type of movements on my weight lifting days (mon, wed, fri), so i'd do them (GPP stuff) on my off days (Tues,Thurs,Sat).

Ohh and thanx for that example ddegroff.

jampsifit
05-13-2006, 04:33 PM
I think im gonna cycle the following on tues, thurs, and sat:

Sled pull
Weighted Jump rope
Farmers/Waiters walk (or lunges for 100m then rest and repeat)
Running (up hills w/intervals)
Bleachers (jump up skipping one, then skip down, then at the end do one lap 400m and start on the other side)

First i think i'd do a warm up similar to crossfits w/hand stand pushups or do one that was similar to what i did when i ran track, then ab work, then One of the exercises listed above. And if i do intervals then i think i might do the 30-60 thing... I also think i'd do mines in a Timely fashion rather than for distance, like 15 mins total rather than 5 miles of running or 2-300 yards of sled pulling. Or i might just work with it, see which one best suites which exercise and run with it.

p.s. any one have experience with wheelbarrow pulls/push/haul?