PDA

View Full Version : Testosterone levels and low fat diet

CBates
01-22-2002, 10:51 AM
I was wondering if it possible to screw up your natural testosterone levels from being on a bad diet of too low of fat for too long? Before I learned about eating properly, I was on a messed up diet for about a year of almost no fat, and I'm just a little concerned that maybe I have messed my natural test levels up now due to it. Any info is appreciated.

Alex.V
01-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I screwed up my natural levels back when I was dieting like a madman, but it wasn't permanent. It took a few months of proper eating to get my sex drive back to normal, though.

I think someone else here might be able to shed more light on this.

Tryska
01-22-2002, 11:03 AM
have you actually gone to a doctor to have your natrual hormone levels checked? or is this all conjecture at this point?

PowerManDL
01-22-2002, 11:09 AM
I alwayz get horn-ee when I eet fatz

CBates
01-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
have you actually gone to a doctor to have your natrual hormone levels checked? or is this all conjecture at this point?

I don't know for sure, haven't been to a doctor yet, but I was just trying to gather as much info as possible before I do go.. Like if it is possible to screw up your test levels for good. All I know is ever since I got on a sh!tty diet a little over a year ago, my sex drive has went to sh!t, and that's not normal for a 22 year old.. But have an appointment for next Friday to know for sure, but waiting that long is kind of stressful on me..

Severed Ties
01-22-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by CBates
Like if it is possible to screw up your test levels for good. All I know is ever since I got on a sh!tty diet a little over a year ago, my sex drive has went to sh!t

No you cannot permanently mess up your hormones from a poor diet, only some type of endocrine dysfunction could do that.

If you were following a very low fat or low carb diet could explain explain your decrease in sex drive, as both diets decrease Testosterone and have been linked to reduced sex drive from this fact.

Going to see a Doctor is always a good choice but you have nothing to worry about if it's diet related.

ST

PowerManDL
01-22-2002, 01:20 PM
Interesting point about the low carbs.

I've been reading lately that the presence of insulin raises the level of free test in the blood, apparently by interacting with SHBG in some fashion.

Severed Ties
01-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Indeed Powerman, Free T is really the more important number when it comes to erectile function. Which is why reduced sex drive even erectile dysfunction are correlated with carb reduction but was never really explored until recently. I plan to go into it more in my article but carb reduction really slams T levels due to the increase in SHBG and reduced recovery capability leading to overtraining and higher overall cortisol levels.

ST

Budiak
01-24-2002, 01:19 AM
So how many fat grams are necessary to maintain normal test levels in your average 155lb Budiak?

geoffgarcia
07-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Wow, this is a good thread, lets get this back to the top!!!!

I've been wondering what the hell is wrong with me and this sounds like it!

Whenever I start working out I begin monitoring my diet carefully, I've always limited my fats to between 20-40 per day, and my protein and carbs are up around 160-200 per day (i'm 26 and weight 175) after 3 months of training/this type of diet I go through an enormous testosterone swing.

For the first month I'm full of energy, very happy, and wiling to screw just about anything.

The second month my energy level drops as does my happy state.
By the third month I'm grumpy, no energy (sleeping all the time) and have zero sex drive.

My typical daily diet =
8: GoLean cereal +milk
11: 3oz tuna + 2 piece of bread +honey
1: 3oz can of tuna
4: 3oz can of tuna + serving of low fat pretzels
7: Myoplex shake
9: dinner (chicken/steak, perhaps some veggies)
11: turkey cold cuts or egg white omlette.

Does this sound unhealthy?
After 3 months I usually am so down in the dumps (and tired all the time) that I stop working out...and I'm at that stage right now

Juan
07-18-2002, 02:21 PM
While it is a slightly different topic, I find the correlation between decreased sex drive and increased activity to be interesting. If I work out hard 4 days in the gym, and do aerobics for 2-3 days (running or volleyball), I feel um, the urge to get me some 2 times per week. If I take take a week off of exercise, I feel the urge 6-7 times per week.

Silverback
07-18-2002, 02:22 PM
when i was 16 i did a crazy diet of no-fat! before i got into bodybuilding, my testes shrunk and sperm production stopped, i felt like well off, but everything went back to normal after a few months.

one mistake i'll never make again! one things for sure i didnt suffer premature ejaculation!

Behemoth
07-18-2002, 02:23 PM
What sort of diet and breakdown would make a woman horny or shoot up her sex drive?:)

GuitarPlayer
07-18-2002, 03:14 PM
YOUR cutting diet where the woman gets horny for you

gettinjackT
07-18-2002, 04:04 PM
If I work out hard 4 days in the gym, and do aerobics for 2-3 days (running or volleyball), I feel um, the urge to get me some 2 times per week. If I take take a week off of exercise, I feel the urge 6-7 times per week.

You must be overtraining if this is happening......The only way that lifting weights is gonna LOWER T levels is if you are overtraining.....

Juan
07-18-2002, 06:52 PM
After wearing myself out with 45 minutes of concentration on lifting weights, sex isn't on my mind. The fact I also run and do aerobic training could be a big part of the equation too. These are my two theories on why this is:
-Working out (especially aerobically) releases endorphines. Sex releases endorphines as well. After you have alot of them in your body, releasing more is not a high priority.
-Why do you think exercise causes a body to produce more testosterone (up to a point)? I think it has to do with the body needing more testosterone to absorb.

I find that if I am working out alot, and take a week or two off, I'm much more, um, frisky on my week off than if I have not been working out at all.

gettinjackT
07-18-2002, 10:22 PM
Both the lack of physical activity and excessive physical activity (over training) will result in decreased levels of testosterone. Exercise effects testosterone directly by stimulating the pituitary gland and the testes and it probably also raises levels by slowing down the normal breakdown of testosterone.

The duration, intensity and frequency of exercise will determine the circulating levels of testosterone. Testosterone levels increase most with short intense bursts, while it decreases with prolonged activity especially that of frequent endurance training. During endurance training, testosterone is needed to maintain muscle but frequent extended training doesn’t allow for repair and recovery of testosterone and tissue damage occurs.

Testosterone levels will elevate with exercise for about 45 to 60 minutes. After this time period, cortisol levels begin to increase and testosterone levels will decline. This is the reason why you shouldn't workout for more than an hour at a time.

:thumbup:

nightop
07-18-2002, 11:14 PM
lots of good info.... and from what I understand, the drop in test during a low fat diet is the lack of essential fatty acids which are required for test production...

during a cutting period, just eat enough fatty acids (peanuts, natural peanut butter, sardines and tuna in sunflower oil, etc...).

Natural Animal
07-22-2002, 05:57 AM
my $.02

Since I hit weights bout 10 months ago my sex drive has gone absolutely through the roof. Mostly while on a serious bulking phase.

jc_az
07-22-2002, 12:25 PM
Most, if not all of us, are so far below the level where we even need to worry about tiny details such as these it doesn't even matter.

Stop looking for excuses or magic potions and take care of the basics, you'll be fine.

geoffgarcia
07-23-2002, 10:23 AM
jc_az-did you even read this thread?