PDA

View Full Version : My bulking diet

clockwork24
05-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey guys.. I don't have much experience in the gym and I'm skinny so I'd love to put on weight fast while working out even if itís partly fat. Would an example of eating big be 3,600 calories for a 135 pound, 5'8" male? This is what I'm going to try. I've gotten this number after completing several different formulas from different sites, e-books, etc. I always assume my metabolism is high so I always plug in the highest activity index without worrying about body fat% (for now). If I take 2grams of protein per lb. of body weight it allows for a 50-30-20 ratio. It works out perfectly in this case. 3,600 x .2 = fat; bodyweight x 2grams = 270 grams of protein; remaining calories = 50% carbs. I'm sure I'll reduce the amount of protein in the future, but should I play it safe? Or perhaps I should adjust the ratio to 55-25-20 so the protein would be at around 1.6-1.7 grams per pound of bodyweight? Not sure if Iím going to spread it out 6 meals or 8 meals. I'm also not sure if I should keep the protein, carb. and fat portions equal for each meal or if they should vary at some times of the day (i.e.: post/pre workout). Is this all worth a try?

Built
05-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Please abandon the "ratio" concept.

Get in no less than a gram of protein per pound LBM, no less than half a gram of fat per pound LBM, and the rest of your cals from whatever works for you.

You're a stick - that means no micromanaging for you, son. Just eat, eat, EAT and lift heavy stuff. You don't gain fast enough, eat more.

DO track - you need to know you're getting in sufficient calories. But there's really no reasonable way to calculate what you're going to need - you simply have to track cals and track progress.

Built
05-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Oh - and welcome to WBB.

:)

clockwork24
05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks..:)

The thing is, I've had a few people suggest that I work my way up instead of aiming for 3,000-3,600 calories right away. I did do the formulas though and I chose to plug in the HIGHEST activity index to be safe, which gave me these numbers. I much rather cut down if I gain too fast instead of risking having a few bad weeks. I guess there is, however, a possibility that my metabolism isn't ready for such a drastic increase in calories spread out the day. I'm still the type who isn't hungry early in the day.

Would it be a bad thing if I were to eat 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight?

Built
05-13-2006, 12:44 PM
It's not a bad thing to ease into higher calories, but you really can't rely on formulas to tell you what YOUR body needs to gain - you find that out by tracking what goes in, and what you weigh.

2 grams per pound bodyweight probably won't hurt you (but go by LBM - it's more apt), but it's not necessary. Get in the protein and fat you need, get in the calories, and where they all come from after those are satisfied comes down to personal preference.

clockwork24
05-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Maybe i can get my hands on a fat caliper at the gym. I know there are all sorts of forumulas, but the ones using fat calipers are most accurate, right? I'm not too concerned with my LBM right now, but yeah it could come in handy when finding certain needs. Right now though, i'm just too concerned that i'll burn everything off so I'm trying to eat when ever i think of it in addition to my usual healthy meals.