PDA

View Full Version : Maintenence question

somedude
05-12-2006, 09:01 PM
If a person were to cut to a relatively low bf% (around 9%, for example), and then gradually increase their calories to maintenence, could that person maintain their current body composition indefinitely, provided they eat clean and continue to train? I know there's a reason it's called "maintenence", but I'm just clarifying.

Also, if the goal is maintenence, how damaging would it be to have less-than-ideal macros (low protein, for example)? I'm asking because I'm just coming off a cut, and over the summer I won't be in control of my food intake. It will still be clean, healthy food, just low in protein. Thanks!

diesel_dan
05-15-2006, 02:54 AM
If a person were to cut to a relatively low bf% (around 9%, for example), and then gradually increase their calories to maintenence, could that person maintain their current body composition indefinitely, provided they eat clean and continue to train? I know there's a reason it's called "maintenence", but I'm just clarifying.

Also, if the goal is maintenence, how damaging would it be to have less-than-ideal macros (low protein, for example)? I'm asking because I'm just coming off a cut, and over the summer I won't be in control of my food intake. It will still be clean, healthy food, just low in protein. Thanks!

I don't see why a person couldn't maintain it. As you get older though it may become more difficult (just a guess).

I don't think it would be too damaging, I mean as long as you lift heavy and get your proper macros as often as you can. You most likely will see some differences though. Maybe even lose muscle, not sure what percent though.

HILL
05-15-2006, 03:18 AM
Maintanance is maintanance because at those cals you wont gain or loose weight. however i think keeping protein high is very important in making sure you dont loose any muscle and replace it with fat. i dnt see any reason why you cant keep protein high just buy some cheap protein powder and a shaker

RedSpikeyThing
05-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Maintanance is maintanance because at those cals you wont gain or loose weight. however i think keeping protein high is very important in making sure you dont loose any muscle and replace it with fat. i dnt see any reason why you cant keep protein high just buy some cheap protein powder and a shaker

Doesn't need to be high per se, just hit the minimum. You could get away with slightly less because your goal isn't to gain muscle, but better to overdo it, then not have enough. I agree, buy a shaker cup!