PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Basketball Training Routine

Bassist-Dude
05-13-2006, 05:51 PM
OK, I know that Basketball season is long over, but I would like to start training for it really early and hopefully make tons of progress over the summer.

Im quite tall for my age (about 5'10" at 13) and have decent skillls. What Im looking for is a routine that I can follow that will increase my vertical, explosiveness, and what ever else I need for basketball.

I know that I need to do plyometrics to increase my vertical, so if someone has the time to make a plyometrics program for me, that would be great.

It would also be a big help if someone could direct me to videos of how to do the plyometrics exercises (a program's no good if I cant do the exercises...)
and possibly videos of one-person basketball drills.

Thanks for all the help!

P.S. My ultimate goal is to be able to dunk on a 10 foot hoop by the end of next year.

arya202
05-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Well working your legs more than once a week is overtraining so just alternate everyother week with the WBB1 leg program and whatever ploymetrics exercise. Pretty much the general consensus here IMO.

Bassist-Dude
05-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Actually, at the moment Im not doing any program and I am praticipating in Ball Hockey and School Track. Those 2 things make up most, if not all, of my physical activities.

I still need to know how to do tthe plyometrics exercises and links would be great.

Rex
05-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Don't worry about plyometrics. The running and jumping involved in a typical game of basketball is all the plyometrics you need.

You'll want to increase the strength of your legs. Squat. And you'll want to increase the strength of the triceps of your shooting arm. Standing overhead presses. I also recommend that you take a look at Kelly Baggett's website.

Clifford Gillmore
05-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Well working your legs more than once a week is overtraining

I don't think so.

235orbust
05-14-2006, 10:05 AM
First you need to realize what your game is. are you a finesse type player? if so youll want to focus more on strenth then gaining size, you will be doing a lot more machine workouts in your routine. Are you a physical player? if so just look at gaining size by the advice on this website.

But reguardless of your bodytype, squat until you puke. This is probably a myth but Ive heard for every 50 pounds you gain on your squat that will equal out to about another inch of vertial. Lunges are also a great excersize for basketball. Good mornings and deadlifts are absolutely amazing for your first step, IF you are using the correct form, your first step explosion should come from the glutes, but often people use their hamstring which is a lot slower and weaker, in most cases. Set goals for these excersizes and record where you are at, I would suggest them being twice what you started out (ex. if you start squating 160, your goal should be 320), cycle these with a polymetric program called AIR ALERT(google it and you should find it) this is a about 10-15 week program that will make your vertical explode, mine went up from 28 to well over 35.

But with a young guy like you you really want to focus on your footwork. Try to find some quarterback drills and do them. if you can dribble a ball with both hands and you have good footwork, you can absolutely dominate your age group

arya202
05-14-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't think so.

Well I just thought that was usually the general idea here. Guess not?

Eh I learn like 5 million new things at this forum every week.

Bassist-Dude
05-14-2006, 06:17 PM
I havent been able to figure out my squat yet, hopefully i'll find out soon.
I play forward, down by that box/square thing really close to the net.
My foot work is pretty good, but Im definately a physical player due to my size, however, Im also quite agile when need be.

My plan is to try and convince my parents to let me order the air alert package, and I'll try and get a barbell asap so I can start squating till i puke (as well as do good mornings and deadlifts).

Thanks for all the help people!

CBrons
05-14-2006, 09:16 PM
WWW.AIRALERT.COM

jaydub33
10-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Bassist-Dude,
I just got a suggestion for my nephew who's going to high school next year and it seems to be a good program. A friend referred me to midrange7.com and I bought the DVD for my nephew. There is a program for training in basketball, but also a core training program as well. I was impressed. Of course, be sure to check it out for yourself - I don't pretend to be an expert...
Thanks,
J

rbtrout
10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, having played bball all my life.....and still do every Saturday morning......I'd say all the leg stuff mentioned above. Squats, deads, good mornings, lunges and yes, even calf raises. There's alot of calves involved in jumping. Gaining size and strength on your entire body will help you out. The stronger you can become (to a point), the better you'll play, as long as you continue playing while you lift.