PDA

View Full Version : Please click on this if you do power cleans

SkinnySadMan
05-13-2006, 09:14 PM
When you guys do power cleans, do you get a head rush while re-positioning yourself in the "Resting" position ? Everytime I do these, I always get this head rush.... like I'm about to pass out. Lol I actually made a thread about this in the bodybuilding forum (I'm pumped because it was the first time I passed out while working out).

Clifford Gillmore
05-13-2006, 09:36 PM
How deep are you catching it? If you are going down into an ATF front squat its a very taxing movement, you will need to lower the weight.

SkinnySadMan
05-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't catch it at the bottom, I catch it in almost standing position. I bet my form is off to, but not like I'm trying for a 1 rep max... I just do cleans so I can do front squats.

Clifford Gillmore
05-13-2006, 09:49 PM
You need to have around of foot of catch dip too make it easier to get it up, imho. Can you take a vid of your form?

SkinnySadMan
05-13-2006, 09:52 PM
I actually had a different thread regarding power clean technique. I said I was going to bump it whenever I video tape myself. I haven't bumped that thread yet. lol

Clifford Gillmore
05-14-2006, 02:36 AM
If you can its a great help! I tape my lifts on my phone so I can see whats up, even digital cameras have vid capability sometimes. Its a good habit to have, even if you only looking at it for reference.

betastas
05-14-2006, 07:56 AM
I never get head rushes from power cleans. I suggest that you work on your breathing. Not only will you not pass out :windup: , but you will be able to lift more.

Make sure you don't "set" the weight in position on your shoulders on your ascent. You need to swing under and receive it in a 1/4-1/2 squat. I see a lot of beginners (inc. myself) who have done that.

Dinosaur
05-14-2006, 10:45 AM
A regular clean is where you catch it in a squatting position, a power clean there's a very slight dip to catch the bar but not much lower than a quarter squat.

Your breathing is probably the issue from the sound of it. Make sure you're either inhaling or exhaling (your own choice) while you clean.

SkinnySadMan
06-24-2006, 09:19 PM
BUMP!

I got a video of me power cleaning, but my apartment is too small to get a full shot... damnit. Oh well it's better than nothing I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spGo6hfP7Kc

Form critic on front squats to!

khari
06-25-2006, 12:17 AM
You're bending the arms well before you're fully extended. The bar travels fairly straight up, which is good. Just work on fully extending before bending at the elbows. I've seen much much worse from people without coaching.

Also, damn you get deep in the front squat. As long as you're not rounding your lower back (and it didn't look like you were there), it looks pretty good.

Goodwinm
06-25-2006, 04:31 AM
yep looks good to me man. is it harmful to have knees over toes tho? Cuz ur knees were pretty much over your toes. I dont know why people say not to do it. Maybe puts more stress on shins or patella or something. i dunno.

SkinnySadMan
06-25-2006, 05:10 AM
I am not too sure, I have heard everyone say the opposite of each other though.

But what I read on an article was as long as you don't relax and bounce at the bottom, you should be fine. Gotta try and find it.......

I hope someone else can answer it because I want to know as well.

http://exrx.net/ExInfo/Squats.html

Full (Deep) Squat

Kreighbaum (1996) illustrate the safe position of a deep squat with the knees extending beyond the toes. Kreighbaum explains how a deep squat can be performed little chance of injury to the knee. The variables of concern:

* speed of descent
* size of calves and thighs
* strength of the controlling muscles

The primary danger to the knee occurs when the tissues of the calf and thigh press together altering the center of rotation back to the contact area creating a dislocation effect. The danger of knee injury in this situation may be prevented if either of the following factor are present:

* center of gravity of the body system is keep forward of the altered center of rotation
* muscles of the thigh are strong enough to prevent the body from resting or bouncing on the calves.

Kreighbaum conclude the deep squat is of little danger to the knees unless these variables and factors are disregarded. Certainly only a limit type of athletes may have a sports specific need to perform a full squat. Olympic weightlifters commonly bounce out of a full front squat with near maximum resistances during both the Clean & Jerk and Snatch. Incidentally, the wide stance during an Olympic style squat further reduces knee torque forces.

During the lower portions of the deep squat the lower back may flex if hip flexibility is inadequate. The risk of injury is increased if the muscles of the lower back are not strong enough to support the flexed spine or the joint structures have not progressively adapted to such a stress. Flexibility exercises can be performed if hip flexibility is insufficient for deep, or full squats. See Full Squat Flexibility.

jed
07-03-2006, 09:06 PM
One time when I was really pumped and not taking enough time in between sets i was doing like a 5x5 or 3x3 and on the last set i got really lightheaded on the last rep, i felt like i was going to fall over. I learned to make sure im full of breath before i throw it up.

SkinnySadMan
07-03-2006, 09:19 PM
I feel ya Jed :) check this out: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=79219&highlight=barbell

jed
07-03-2006, 09:56 PM
I feel ya Jed :) check this out: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=79219&highlight=barbell

lol dang, glad you didnt DIE...

johnnytang24
07-04-2006, 09:41 AM
You should bring the bar closer to your shins before you start. Also, try lifting your toes off the ground. Do the first pull slower, and make sure the bar stays close to your body.

Thanks.