PDA

View Full Version : ~ QEA'S BULK-UP ON NHE ~ a self experiment for extremely lean individuals

Qea
01-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Alright, after doing some research on the NHE principles, and correspondence with several people who are on the NHE plan, I've decided to take on a self-experiment on its effectiveness when it comes to mass gaining.

This journal is meant for those who in the same situation as I am to observe its effect and come to their own conclusion. Any comments are welcome.

Some special considerations:

1. I'm extremely lean with a high metabolism, who has always been ripped but never big. My abs are perpetually showing no matter how much i eat.

2. I've been doing a traditional bulking diet with not much apparent success.

3. I've been training for more than 4 years, on & off.

3. I smoke alot, which upon the start of this experiment, I plan to cut down drastically to the point of quitting.

Here goes!

MonStar1023
01-22-2002, 02:26 PM
Yeah bro drop the smoking first of all... second of all good luck.

:cool::cool:

Qea
01-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Thanks MonStar for your words of encouragement. Your positive feedback and experience on the NHE is a source of inspiration for me.

I'll be posting my first journal entry tnite. check it out

:)

Orange357
01-22-2002, 05:51 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Qea
01-22-2002, 09:46 PM
DAY/DATE: 22 Jan 2002 ,Tuesday (Day 1 of metabolic shift)

DIET:

Meal 1 - preworkout pro shake - 2 scps pro powder,1 tb flax, cream
Meal 2 - postworkout pro shake - 2 scps pro powder, 1 tb flax, cream
Meal 3 - roast beef, boiled eggs, lettuce. olive oil, blue cheese dressing and mayo
Meal 4 - roast chicken, boiled eggs, lettuce. olive oil, blue cheese dressing and mayo
Meal 5 - roast chicken, boiled eggs, lettuce. olive oil, blue cheese dressing and mayo
Late snack -

WORKOUT

Bodypart: Chest

DB Prs 3 x 10,6,6 reps
Incline Prs 2 x 6,6
Machine Prs 2 x 8,6

CIGARETTES SMOKED: 5 :(

COMMENTS

Diet is not as hard as I thought it would be. Could be because I'm not really much into carbos to begin with. I am not experiencing any carb cravings yet, energy levels up abit (could be a
mental thing). Eating all these high fat protein foods is really nice. I'm not experiencing any stomach digestion discomfort i usually get when i combine carbs and pro. Nice. Dont feel fat neither.

* note. on the 7-day metabolic shift phase, to get less than 20g active carbs is really tricky.
Some foods i thought were high pro and/or fat turned out to contain, surprisingly a fair amt of carbs too
they are: pumpkin seeds, processed meats, and nuts. Must avoid them for abit. Shucks. I love nuts.

** note. having a book of food counts is pretty much essential, imho.

Storm
01-22-2002, 10:17 PM
All the power to ya as far as quitting smoking is concerned. Try hard man it's not going to be easy.

heathj
01-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Smoking is good. :)

MonStar1023
01-23-2002, 01:07 AM
Qea-
First day looks good bro. Keep calories and fat UP!! Take in a sh*tload of calories from all kinds of fats. Maybe hamburgers and mayo and cheese etc. Load it up. You need the calories.

:cool::cool:

prof
01-23-2002, 10:19 AM
scuse me for being new and thick but the title says BULK UP and you have very few carbs in your diet, if you are so lean just overshoot on the carbs for now and it wont do any harm, or have I missed the point again

cheers

yeah looking again I have missed the point, please explain

Qea
01-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Prof, taking in carbs creates a hormonal response that's against the principles of the NHE plan. You have to prime your body's metabolism into a fat burning mode, as oppsed to sugar burning. I can't go into further detail, you've gotta read the book.

Now that I'm limiting carbs, I'm taking in more protein and fat that I have ever done before. My guess is that these make up the calories I lose by not eating carbs. Besides, Rob advises against counting calories, I'm just eating alot

;)

Anyways, i'll put in today's journal entry later in the evening, check it out.

Qea
01-23-2002, 10:26 PM
DAY/DATE: Tues 23 Jan 2002 (Day 2 of metabolic shift)

DIET:

Meal 1 - protein shake
Meal 2 - turkey, boiled eggs, lettuce, dressing, mayo, olive oil
Meal 3 - protein shake (post workout)
Meal 4 - salmon steak, boiled eggs, lettuce, dressing, mayo, olive oil
Meal 5 - chicken, boiled eggs, lettuce, dressing, mayo, olive oil
Late snack -

* protein shake = 2 scps protein powder, 1tb flax, cream

WORKOUT

Bodypart: Back

Lats Pulldown 3 x 8,6,6
Bentover rows 2 x 6,6
DB Row 2, 6,6

CIGARETTES SMOKED: 7 (damn)

COMMENTS

starting to appreciate my schools cafeteria, i usually order a meat entree, and get the rest of the stuff from the salad bar.

Second day on diet, energy levels still up, mood seems to be good too. I like it. Not much carb cravings though my gazes at cookies and scones linger a little longer than they should haha

Issues faced are dehydration, it's happening more now. Rob mentioned it in the book, and i can see why.

I still cant get the thoughts of doubt in my head to go away. Nutrition mentality drilled into my head by years of traditional thought keeps pounding " You need carbs to bulk, you need carbs to bulk" consistently in my head. But I'm sure I'm making up for the lost cals from my fat and pro intake.

Then again, this is an experiment, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Noneotherless, any words of encouragement would be welcome now too.

heathj
01-23-2002, 11:26 PM
That is what short ass workout...no deads?

Qea
01-23-2002, 11:32 PM
Efficiency is the keyword. You wanna overload the muscles, not exhaust it. At least this is what i read in the Max-OT site. Makes sense too. Too many sets I'll feel like I'm doing the movements simply for the sake of it. I keep it short and every set is intense and feels like I'm peaking.

As for the deads, yeah, I wanna incorporate em in, but I'm trying to figure out the best form for doing it without hurting my back

:D