05-16-2006, 10:26 PM
OK i love tuna and love canned chicken...Is it safe to alternate between each every day? I heard tuna has lots of mercury which if there is too much good be a bad thing (mercury poisoning)?
05-17-2006, 04:36 AM
If you eat the light stuff, chunk light, whole light etc (says so right ont he can). It has less mercury than the heavier stuff.
Don't eat more than a can a day. I eat a can every day, for the past year, I've had no problems. Then again everybody is different. If you are really concerned limit yourself to a can every other day.
Edit: Heres some stuff I found out:
- "Certain species of very large tuna, typically sold as fresh steaks or sushi, can have levels over 1 ppm. (Canned tuna, composed of smaller species of tuna such as skipjack and albacore, has much lower levels of methyl mercury, averaging only about 0.17 ppm.) The average concentration of methyl mercury for commercially important species (mostly marine in origin) is less than 0.3 ppm."
- "Eating commercially available fish should not be a problem, day FDA toxicologists. The 1 ppm limit FDA had set for commercial fish is considerably lower than levels of methyl mercury in fish that have caused illness."
- "Following a similar incident in Nigata, Japan, where 120 person were poisoned, studies showed that the harm caused by methyl mercury poisoning, particularly the neurological symptoms, can progress over a period of years after exposure has ended. The average mercury content of fish samples from both areas ranged from 9 to 24 ppm, though in Minimata, some fish were found to have levels as high as 40 ppm. Fortunately, no similar incidents have occurred in the United States."
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.