PDA

View Full Version : Baseball

nyyanks7
05-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here and lookin for some advice that could help me out with a baseball workout. I already searched and couldnt find anything. Im 15 years old, 5'9" and 157 pounds and worked out during the winter almost every day and saw some gain in strength and size. Im looking to gain some size and strength in the next month or so for when I go to a showcase. I want to put on some weight but not be too bulky, if you know what I mean. Any help would be appreciated.

Jedi Knight
05-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Well my man, I am a Sox fan and I'll let it slide this once. You need to eat double what you are eating now... regardless of what it is. Sprints are great, they help you build muscle too... has to do w/ the testosterone that is released. Your core lifts are the best, w/ good form. Bench, Sqat, Dead Lifts. Form form form. What does your workout look like right now? I'll give you a workout if you want...

Eszekial
05-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Look into plyometrics.

My high school baseball coach was ex-pro.

He had us doing plyos 3 days a week at the end of practice.

They help with speed and explosion, and keep the mass down to retain flection.

shootermcgavin7
06-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Since you're 15 so you're probably not locked into a single position yet (although by age 15 I was pretty much locked into pitching, so you never know).

Incorporate sprints into your workouts, as well as squats and rowing exercises to help your arm strength.

If you want to increase bat speed, there are some good medicine ball workouts that utilize similar muscle groups. Take any advice I give on hitting with a grain of salt, though.

djreef
06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
deadlifts were the single most influential movement in helping get the ball over the fence, for me.

DJ

laxguy1028
06-07-2006, 01:47 PM
deadlifts, squats, bench, oly lifts, and kettlebells. add in some grip work because baseball players need strong wrists and forearms.

Bob
06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
:withstupi
plus don't forget to add shoulder work... not just presses, but weighted circles are awesome to build up shoulder strength and endurance.
ANd don't just think that Plyometrics are leg exercises.. there are plenty of Plyos for the upper body and arms...

And one more thing.. the best BB athletes are pretty good GPP & Core... take a look at Alex R's and Nomar's routines... they do a lot of GPP and Core...

MJS
06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Work your forearms. A lot. My favorite is to get a stick, broomstick will work fine. Cut off a 1' piece. attach a 4' rope, knotted in the middle of the stick hanging down about 3.5'. Attach weights at the end (7-10lb) and roll the stick in your hands until all of the rope is rapped around the stick and the weight is at your hands. Repeat.

Other than that, lift your legs hard: squats, lunges, leg curls, etc. Then, like everyone else said, work on sprints and explosion.

Hazerboy
06-08-2006, 02:10 AM
Wouldn't sandbag work for the core be great too? I don't play baseball, but I would think stuff like sandbag turkish get-ups or shoulder and carry would be great