PDA

View Full Version : HIIT & Lifting

KingJustin
05-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Ok this has been asked a million times on here and the answer is always given as "do HIIT at least 4 hours after lifting and preferably a full day." Yeah ok, that's usually how I do it, but I'm going to have to do the two together to some extent.

Once a week I am going to start doing grip work. This means (reverse) forearm curls, farmers walks and hand-grip type things. This is going to take me a total of about 10 minutes. I also plan to do a sort of weights-and-cardio thing with this (6 reps squats, 6 reps push-press, 6 reps power cleans, front squat, deadlifts, push jerks and romanian deadlifts) and then a couple rounds on the heavy bag (this is basically HIIT).

In total, the workout is going to take about 25 minutes, and it's all stuff that I really have to do. I don't want to split this into a 2-a-day type workout or anything like that. So, here's the question: Should I do my HIIT before or after lifting weights? I do this a couple times a week and I'm about to start doing body recomposition and when I do that especially, every little thing is going to count. So even though it won't make a huge difference, over time and along with all the other little things it will really add up.

brad-w
05-19-2006, 09:19 PM
sorry but what does HIIT stand for? hehe :newbie:

lacrosseplayer
05-19-2006, 09:25 PM
sorry but what does HIIT stand for? hehe :newbie:

high intensity interval training im pretty sure

D Breyer
05-19-2006, 10:19 PM
I've always been told its better to do cardio after lifting.

brad-w
05-20-2006, 01:28 PM
high intensity interval training im pretty sure

ook thanks

charles_316
05-20-2006, 01:45 PM

ive heard this too... i forget the reasoning tho

but i think when u lift weights, u want to be a fresh and full of energy as possible...

SaVvY
05-20-2006, 03:14 PM
if your looking to lose muscle then yeh, its great to do it after a workout

if not, you should do it as far away from your weights workouts as possible

KingJustin
05-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Eh, I'm kind of looking for some of the more senior members opinions on this.

Lifting boosts metabolism greatly, much in the same way as HIIT does. I doubt that it's too bad to do them together, and I know that I can improve my weak points, improve my cardio, and boost my metabolism without losing any remotely significant muscle gains when I do them together. I'm still not sure which order is best.

d'Anconia
05-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I also plan to do a sort of weights-and-cardio thing with this (6 reps squats, 6 reps push-press, 6 reps power cleans, front squat, deadlifts, push jerks and romanian deadlifts) and then a couple rounds on the heavy bag (this is basically HIIT).

So let me get this straight. You're going to do all of the bolded part in 10 minutes? How many sets are you doing of each and what exercises, etc?

But yes I'd personally do it afterward. I think in general though, if you do the HIIT correctly then either way you will be poooooooped.

Anthony
05-20-2006, 06:41 PM
If you absolutely have to do your HIIT on a lifting day, do it after you lift. A typical weight training session, you'll want to be fresh to maximize poundage. With HIIT, you're basically running yourself into the ground ... doesn't matter as much if you're already exhausted, you'll still get the benefits. Make sense?

Progress
05-22-2006, 09:35 AM
if your looking to lose muscle then yeh, its great to do it after a workout

if not, you should do it as far away from your weights workouts as possible

Oh yeah, it makes much more sense to run first and put your body in a catabolic state before lifting. Gotcha.

GrumpyFlex
05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Ok... so to clarify... .Is it ok or not to do HIIT right after weight training????

Anthony
05-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Preferably not, but if you have the energy, go for it.

GrumpyFlex
05-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Preferably not, but if you have the energy, go for it.

Cool Im usually pretty jacked on Redline and Adrenaline... Should not be a problem... Just wanted to make sure it wouldnt have adverse effects on the results..... Looks like Ill have to add some more Disturbed and Rob Zombie to the MP3 player tonight... Thank you for your response

Anthony
05-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified ... energy was a bad choice of words. If your work capacity can handle it, go for it. HIIT is very demanding and hits your CNS hard. Too much lifting and HIIT and you'll burn out real fast.

GrumpyFlex
05-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Thank you for the clarification...It has made me think a lot more about doing tomorrow it after a hard legs day. Im going to stick to my 35 mins on the eliptical tomorrow and give HIIT a go on Wednesday and Saturday. My off training days

Built
05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
There are a couple of schools of thought on when to do HIIT.

Historically, I've done it after my upper body workouts (ie - twice a week), but the argument could also be made that with the two leg workouts I do a week, this taxes the legs a LOT.

So the alternative is to do it on leg days, in the early part of the day, and in the evening, do the leg workout.

Jedi Knight
05-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Since I'm not a senior member this probably doesn't matter as much to you, but make sure you're recovery is adequate... ie w/ protein and rest, especially if you are going to tax your body that much. I always do cardio after weights, but w/ this you might want to do it another day. LIke Anthony said, if you're capable of doing it, do it. Otherwise, give it some rest in between.

jordonwuff
05-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Just wondering.. If I were to do HIIT in the morning, then do my workout say 6 hours later, would this be alright? Or would it be better to do the workout in the morning, and then HIIT 6 hours or so later? Thanks

-Jordon

Progress
05-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Just wondering.. If I were to do HIIT in the morning, then do my workout say 6 hours later, would this be alright? Or would it be better to do the workout in the morning, and then HIIT 6 hours or so later? Thanks

-Jordon

That should be alright. Just makes sure there are decent meals spaced throughout.

jordonwuff
05-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks