PDA

View Full Version : Delayed Water weight?

Con
05-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Ok so ive been on a bulk. I started right after getting off a failed cut. The first week I gained like 7 pounds, going from 182 to 189. I thought ok, its prolly water weight. The next week i gained 1 pound which was ideal for me. This week I was hopin for my one pound, I was even half expecting no weight gain because of the need for more cals.

The thing is this week I gained 6 or 7 pounds. Im like this cant be all muscle, OR fat since my diet has been kept clean. I went a little of yesterday but it kept relativley close to my cals. I also went boxing and prolly burned off some cals but I made sure I made up for it when I got home.

So the big question of this post is can u have random gains of water weight or is there another reason to explain my weight gain for this week. Thanks guys

Jordanbcool
05-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Ok so ive been on a bulk. I started right after getting off a failed cut. The first week I gained like 7 pounds, going from 182 to 189. I thought ok, its prolly water weight. The next week i gained 1 pound which was ideal for me. This week I was hopin for my one pound, I was even half expecting no weight gain because of the need for more cals.

The thing is this week I gained 6 or 7 pounds. Im like this cant be all muscle, OR fat since my diet has been kept clean. I went a little of yesterday but it kept relativley close to my cals. I also went boxing and prolly burned off some cals but I made sure I made up for it when I got home.

So the big question of this post is can u have random gains of water weight or is there another reason to explain my weight gain for this week. Thanks guys

Water weight is pretty crazy. I pretty much had to stop my cut and go on a more extreme cut just because of the damage it did to my motivation. Its a pain to stick with your diet and be 100% and hop on the scale only to find you gained 10lbs.

My advice: Ignore it. If you think your gaining alot of fat cut back on the calories, up the cardio or start another cut (if you somehow gain alot of weight). Water weight is LBM too.

-jordan

P.S. To gauge your body use some calipers and the mirror. I pretty much threw out my scale because of all the water weight fluctuations.

Con
05-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Im tryin to get some nice LBM before my cut.
Where can i get calipers from? are they expensive(not much money)?
And how is water weight LBM?

Thanks for ur reply jordan

RedSpikeyThing
05-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Im tryin to get some nice LBM before my cut.
Where can i get calipers from? are they expensive(not much money)?
And how is water weight LBM?

Thanks for ur reply jordan

Choose your weapon: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=calipers+body+fat&spell=1

Some are expensive, some aren't. I think for like $20 you can get a set of calipers.

I believe water weight is LBM because it is additional water stored in muscle, though I'm not sure.

Jordanbcool
05-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Choose your weapon: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=calipers+body+fat&spell=1

Some are expensive, some aren't. I think for like $20 you can get a set of calipers.

I believe water weight is LBM because it is additional water stored in muscle, though I'm not sure.

Water weight is lean body mass because its not fat. Only fat cannot be lean body mass.

-jordan

Case in point. Adding on 10 pounds of water weight is nothing to fear. But the kicker is you dont know if its all water weight. Thats why calipers are great to have.

RedSpikeyThing
05-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Where exactly is water weight stored? If it is stored in fat (ie it "expands" fat cells) wouldn't that NOT be LBM?

ddegroff
05-20-2006, 11:08 AM
60-70% of our body is water, its stored everywhere.

Jordanbcool
05-20-2006, 11:32 AM
60-70% of our body is water, its stored everywhere.

Exactly. Its in your muscles, fat, organs, everywhere. Its water. Our body loves it. But it doesnt make you jiggle. That is fat. Water may make you bloated (thus appearing fatter) but water weight is really nothing to fear.

-jordan

I just think of it as more weight to throw around if I ever get into a fight ;) while still being fairly lean