PDA

View Full Version : Question about running and workout machines...

spectralshadow
05-20-2006, 03:33 PM
So, my friend needs to lose a few pounds (20-30) in about 2 months. He is going to start running with 2 pairs of sweatpants and 2 pairs of sweatshirts on (well, one is a hoodie-type thing), but he doesn't know when to run. Down here, it usually gets up to mid/high-80s low-90s in the day time, and goes down at night to high-70s low/mid-80s.

He also eats decently... 2 eggs, glass of milk, and some wheat cereal for breakfast, usually just an orange or two or an egg sammich for lunch, and some for of meat and veggie for dinner (usually deer meat or chicken).

His workout schedule is somewhat...needing improvements, to put it lightly. He doesn't go to the gym, because he doesn't have the time (works about 10-14 hrs a day everyday except Sunday),but instead he has a very small home gym. He does some DB bench presses, and crunches on one day, then some deadlifts and crunches 2 days after, then some squats and crunches, and sometimes he will do some leg curls or whatever you call them; every 2 days he alternates if you haven't figured that out. Also, he only has 120lbs of weights.

Lastly, the question about workout machines...

How good is a bowflex? I've been thinking about getting one, and I'm just wondering if it is worthwhile or not. If it is good, I will probably be getting http://www.bowflex.com/mMachineDetail.asp?productID=6800013&productName=Sport%26%23153%3B&linkID=6

d'Anconia
05-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Try doing a search on the bowflex, many people have asked for opinions on it.

As for your friend... I question whether he'll want to really run with that many clothes on. Yes it helps get rid of water weight... temporarily. You want to burn fat more than you want him to sweat out water. Do a search for HIIT and put him on FitDay.com

spectralshadow
05-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Any certain thing I am looking for when I search for HIIT?

spectralshadow
05-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Anyone? ><

d'Anconia
05-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Check out the thread "More Reasons Why HIIT Rules". At least I believe that's what it's titled. It's one of the threads linked within one of the stickies on the Bodybuilding forum.

Built
05-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Your friend wants to lean out.

The answer is careful diet, and heavy lifting, not "sweating out" water.

Absolute
05-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Bowflex sucks. Your friend could get more weights for cheaper than he could buy a USED Bowflex. Bodyweight exercises are better than that thing anyday. If he has space and cash for a Bowflex, check into a power rack. It would add so much more to his routine.

Running with sweats on in that kind of weather is kinda foolish. It won't do anything that a good tall glass of water won't fix.

Jedi Knight
05-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Good call, disciplined eating, good cardio but even better lifting. Tell him to just go kind of hungry and only eat whole grains, veggies, and lean meats... and lift and sleep. You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV...

spectralshadow
05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Good call, disciplined eating, good cardio but even better lifting. Tell him to just go kind of hungry and only eat whole grains, veggies, and lean meats... and lift and sleep. You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV...

I can't tell if that was sarcasm or honesty. >.> But it's late here so I can't distinguish much of anything.

Built
05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
"go kind of hungry"?

No thanks.