PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to bulking...

TRITON
05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
how important is it to stay within a 10-20% caloric increase? I've only estimated my maintenance level of calories and I'm afraid I might be going overboard with the cals as I've increased it a tad more than needed to have a safe "cushion." Would being 1000cals or 30-35% (whichever comes first) over mainentance present a problem as far as excess fat accumulation (moreso than normal) during the bulk? Or is it better to err on the side of excess rather than not enough? It's clean food (ie, not fast food) all prepared by me.....just a lot of it. Thanks!

Thomas
05-21-2006, 11:46 AM
everyones different bro, u just gotta find out what works best for you. Maybe a 1000 cals increase is a bit much to start with, try increasing 500 a week from maintainence untill you start to get a steady weight gain.

WORLD
05-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Try increasing slowly, and if you see your not gaining weight every week, then increase again. Trial and error I think works great, because like Thomas said, everybody's different.

TRITON
05-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Good point...but will too much result in too much fat and not enough LBM, or will the LBM still be there just under a little more fat (meaning more work for me during the cut!)?

WORLD
05-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, thats why you increase slowly, because too much will result in more Body fat, and thats when you reduce the calories a bit. But yeah, you basically said it.

HILL
05-22-2006, 01:51 AM
theirs no such thing as to muich really. it all depends as has been said on how much you want to control the amount of fat you gain as well. some people will do a dirty bulk and just eat until they gain a certain amount and then cut. if you are wanting to keep fat gains to a minimum then i would stick between 500-1000 cals over maintanance. also theirs no reason why you shouldnt no your exact maintanance